J.C. Harvey - Ships Nostalgia
19:13

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

J.C. Harvey

Old 15th June 2007, 22:57

J.C. Harvey

Quite a few of you will remamber J.C. - I think !!
I never sailed with him when he was Master but I was with him on the Benlawers when he was passenger for the BBC doing a programme -The Lost Empire!!!
Donald Cowie was Master at the time and his instructions were - Do not allow the B*****d on the bridge without his permission as he had his a**e kicked enough by him before!!! But he behaved emmacualatey!! Some of the time !!
Old 16th June 2007, 09:36

J.C.Harvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBenarty View Post
Quite a few of you will remamber J.C. - I think !!
I never sailed with him when he was Master but I was with him on the Benlawers when he was passenger for the BBC doing a programme -The Lost Empire!!!
Donald Cowie was Master at the time and his instructions were - Do not allow the B*****d on the bridge without his permission as he had his a**e kicked enough by him before!!! But he behaved emmacualatey!! Some of the time !!
Remember that trip well Billy. He used to entertain the other passengers with tales of bygone days.Do you remember Veronica,the hippy passenger that trip.headband and hotpants.
Old 16th June 2007, 11:15
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 2003

My location
Sailed with him a couple of times when I was Cadet,always found him very strict loved to have Cadets on Gangway Duty in their uniform.Most boring job in the world. Last time I saw him was after he had retired,he owned a wine shop in Edinburgh with his Brother walked in one day and got the shock of my life my past came flooding back
TomS
Old 16th June 2007, 21:04

Hi John,
I remember Veronica the hippie well, I do not think J.C. approved of her dress!!! She even went for dinner at night with the same attire !! She was great crack. And always asked if she could come up to our bar as she said their was no fun in the passengers bar. She used to get in some states !!

Last edited by EBenarty : 16th June 2007 at 21:12.
Old 22nd July 2007, 23:04
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2007

Remember J.C.Harvey.

There were many like JC but i have to say he did at least stick up for the crews when ashore in the company of the head office staff, When i came ashore I worked in the Edinburgh HQ for two and a bit years and attended the annual Ben bash at the George Hotel one year 1971 Jc was there and was replying to the owners in a "thank you speach"on behalf of the guests, In his closing words he said ladies and gents if it was not for the deadicated crews and officers Ben Line had on thier ships there would not be a Ben Line Company today with such a high reputatation in this very competitive game . I think He was absolutly correct the hard work and hours put in by crews to meet dead lines, maintaning engines, rigging gear,cleaning hatches restowing cargo and sailing with all hatches open just to steal a couple of hours off a berth on a Blue flu or a Hapag vessel was what gave Ben the reputation with its shippers. In my years ashore in the container industry i found all over the UK meeting shippers that they did recognise Ben as a formidable company who delivered the goods .

There again maybe it was all the good booze and food we put down thier throats at shippers parties on board Ben vessels around the UK and continental ports. As they used to say a Master is only as good as his crew.
Old 7th April 2009, 22:32

I was 3 voyages on bendoran with JC in the sixties and again in 65 on benarmin he was good but strict. he theships team football boots&strips pity they were green&white but it was better than old t shirts .The Chinees cook made him a birthday cake and had it HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAYSEE we ll had a good chuckle at that and he sent the crew down a case of beer.Goodnight.

-
Old 29th February 2012, 15:24

I sailed with JC as 3rd Mate on Benarmin from JUN 64 to MAY 65. My recollection of him was that, regardless of how you performed on his ship, you were always the 'best of your rank' in the company.