fleet size & staff - Ships Nostalgia
18:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

fleet size & staff

Old 21st March 2012, 23:55
Organisation: Tugs
Department: Deck
Active: 1987 - Present

My location
Angry fleet size & staff

in 1987( when i started), there were 554 hulls in the rmas.anyone know how many there is now?from what ive seen on SN in the last year it cant be anything like that now.
Old 24th March 2012, 13:15
Waighty Waighty is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1966 - 2009

Roo, I think you'd need someone working for Serco to tell you what they've got these days.
Old 24th March 2012, 16:17

My location
does anyone still work for them?lol
Old 2nd April 2012, 21:49
Active: 1982 - Present

Fleet size and Staff

You were asking about craft still in existance, I can only comment about Pompey. I have been there since the early eighties. We had more PAS boats and fleet tenders the fleet has been well decimated. As for personnel not many left out of over the 450 when i first started.
Old 16th April 2012, 09:03
Organisation: Coasters
Active: 1974 - 2009

When I first started there was about 3000 staff country wide and 750 officers. Chatham had 2 x dogs, 3 x girls, 1 x felicity, 1 x 100ft FT, 1x 75ft FT, C616, 2 x oil boats, Caldy, 3x HLD's and umteen lighters. Plus in ready state reserve Freshwater, C642 and some lighters. I believe Pompey at that time had a fleet which made Chatham look like a small squadron, not including 50 odd HLD's.
Old 17th April 2012, 12:56

My location
rosyth 1987- salmaster-goosander-kinloss-alsation-pointer-cromarty-llandovery-dunster-dornoch-oilman-watercourse-cicala-1604(F)-genevieve-georgina-gwendoline-1703(U)-1516-1312-4 ammo/stores crane barges-1904-1903-hld 6515-hld 8094-hld 7021-i think thats the lot lol.
Old 17th April 2012, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofaerosyth View Post
rosyth 1987- salmaster-goosander-kinloss-alsation-pointer-cromarty-llandovery-dunster-dornoch-oilman-watercourse-cicala-1604(F)-genevieve-georgina-gwendoline-1703(U)-1516-1312-4 ammo/stores crane barges-1904-1903-hld 6515-hld 8094-hld 7021-i think thats the lot lol.
Did we not have Accord then? Maybe that had gone by 1987, in which case perhaps Nimble?
Old 17th April 2012, 18:55
Department: Engineering
Active: 1980 - Present

Do you remember when Accord did its "in off" the North wall and reduced its overall length by around 3 meters after trying to "assist" the Poolster, the following day our glorious leaders were looking at how the bow could be sealed up so she could go out for a target tow. Thankfully for all involved sense prevailed and she did not sail, I recall looking out through splits in the forward bulkhead at boats moving around the dockyard.
Old 17th April 2012, 20:17

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waighty View Post
Did we not have Accord then? Maybe that had gone by 1987, in which case perhaps Nimble?
your right mike.nimble was there.and dexterous i think.accord was gone by then.i forgot another vessel as well.she was a fine vessel.hughies favourite vessel.it was of course the OPC 3 lol.hughies baby we called it.and was the cps barge not officially classed as an rmas hull as well?
Old 17th April 2012, 20:25

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowone View Post
Do you remember when Accord did its "in off" the North wall and reduced its overall length by around 3 meters after trying to "assist" the Poolster, the following day our glorious leaders were looking at how the bow could be sealed up so she could go out for a target tow. Thankfully for all involved sense prevailed and she did not sail, I recall looking out through splits in the forward bulkhead at boats moving around the dockyard.
i missed the accord by a few years but vince tells the story regularly.hes promised me pictures of the damage but he hasnt dug them out yet.
Old 17th April 2012, 22:14

For Those who are not up to speed the only pas craft we have left in pompey are the two sutts helen and genevieve they will be retained for the duration of the contract. 2x catamarans Netley and Nutbourne (Newhaven transfered to guzz in 2009) Norton ex D37, 1715u sullage barge along with 1706u. Tcl 1905, 1514f (ex avcat barge) will be layed up after refit.Teesdale (ex whittaker tanker) the new damen tugs are bountiful and reliable to replace the tutts and independant and indulgant to replace the two dogs and two small girls christine and suzzanne not forgetting Catherine (allocated to the divers) and oceanspray. and various ammo lighters.
Old 18th April 2012, 00:32

My location
what dogs did you have there nutbourne? ROO
Old 18th April 2012, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowone View Post
I remember it well Mark, I was on it! There's a separate thread about it somewhere or maybe it's a PM thread between Roo and myself. Can you remember who the ERR or L/ERR was who was hurt slightly when we struck the North Wall? It was said that rivets were found 40 feet inland from the edge of the North Wall!!
Old 18th April 2012, 14:34
Department: Engineering
Active: 1980 - Present

The Chief engineer was Willie Miller who was on as duty engineer as it was an early job, he figured out or the LERR told him what was happening and was on his way to manually throw the props astern when she hit the wall. He was thrown over the machinery somehow only getting banged up a bit and not being wrapped around the shafts etc. Best bit was after the dust settled and the powers that be held their investigation he was hauled over the coals for not preventing the "accident" - I always wondered why he got it in the neck, after all the MCR did not have windows or TV to show what was happening outside, suppose the crystal ball had failed again. A problem that has often afflicted me during my career.
Old 18th April 2012, 18:11

Hi Roo, back in '87 the dogs we had were Dalmation, Foxhound (ex Boxer) Setter, when Portland shut in 1996 we lost Foxhound and Dalmation and won Sheepdog along with Setter. I was on hand to take a few shots of the last dog tug Setter on 26/04/05 she was accompanied by Bustler and Powerful with water cannons as a send off who would have thought six years later Bustler is now laid up for sale out of service with Gwendoline and the pilot vessel St Martin.Powerful transfered to guzz last year.
Old 18th April 2012, 21:56

My location
cheers nutbourne.im trying to compile a list of where all the dogs are now.its getting there gradually with the help of everyone on this site.(still having probs getting a photo of pointer in brazil though). but il get there in the end lol.cheers again.
Old 15th July 2012, 22:44

My location
retirment message

this is a small message given to my father on his retirment from the pas in rosyth on the reverse is the crews signatures of his last tug the director. when my brother showed it to me today the names just jumped out at me and i could see the mens faces ,so i hope some of you may recognise them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img104.jpg (186.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg img105.jpg (192.1 KB, 21 views)