Two seamen dead after a rescue bid on a pirate mother ship - Ships Nostalgia
05:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Two seamen dead after a rescue bid on a pirate mother ship

Old 28th February 2012, 15:48
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 2010

Two seamen dead after a rescue bid on a pirate mother ship

See= http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17195162

How long have us seamen must suffer. Still believe in the big gun. Like in the time of nelson.
Old 28th February 2012, 16:00

saw a video some months ago showing how the Russians deal with them - they put them back in their boat and blew it up - except for one who they sent back to tell his mates what happenned - they won't be doing that again in a hurry
Old 28th February 2012, 19:22

I read that the Italian Liner that has broken down carries armed Civilian Guard's.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 28th February 2012, 19:25
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadburn View Post
I read that the Italian Liner that has broken down carries armed Civilian Guard's.
Not so Chief,they are Military from the Infantry unit that cant shoot straight.
Old 28th February 2012, 19:44

Italian guns only dropped once!!

regards Malky
Old 28th February 2012, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadburn View Post
Info from the Italian press as I wrote on the relevant thread:
'The Ship carries a team of Italian Marine riflemen from the Regiment San Marco engaged on anti-piracy service.'

They (Italian media) were also happy to draw attention to the fact that guys from the same unit (on another ship) managed to accidentally shoot some fishermen.
Old 29th February 2012, 15:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
Yes, I stand corrected

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 29th February 2012, 21:39
Department: Electrician
Active: 1966 - 1983

My location
If these stories are correct I can see some useless legal eagle sharpening their pencil and checking how much their share of the compensation will be when they sue the company's for infringing the human rights of those poor pirates who are only going about their innocent work.
Regards
Old 29th February 2012, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
That'll be full astern then (When they fix the engine)
Old 29th February 2012, 23:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by n. liddell (sparks) View Post
saw a video some months ago showing how the Russians deal with them - they put them back in their boat and blew it up - except for one who they sent back to tell his mates what happenned - they won't be doing that again in a hurry
You could say "That is the only language they understand". But unfortunately they are just like cockroaches, they keep returning. Maybe they could be targeted with drones before they set off once their base is located.
Old 1st March 2012, 08:38
Organisation: Other Navies
Active: 1970 - 1976

This is not a bad answer...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2yllpbc.jpg (29.8 KB, 130 views)
Old 1st March 2012, 10:04
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1967

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgpobog View Post
This is not a bad answer...
".......To the Shores of Tripoli."

How about the USMC?

They have done it before.

Heed the call.....

Aberdonian

Last edited by Aberdonian : 1st March 2012 at 11:28.
Old 1st March 2012, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdonian View Post
".......To the Shores of Tripoli."

How about the USMC?

They have done it before.

Heed the call.....

Aberdonian
That works too...
Old 1st March 2012, 18:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by n. liddell (sparks) View Post
Just so as you know - it wasn't true - they did sink it but no one was on board.

Of course I suppose they could have if they wanted to - but that would have made every single russian seaman a dead cert target (pun intentional)
Old 1st March 2012, 18:44

of course you could solve the problem - return peace to the area and stop everyone and the ships cat nicking all the fish - just a thought
Old 1st March 2012, 22:15

Do you really think they'd go back to fishing after the comparitively easy life of a pirate?

John T
Old 2nd March 2012, 00:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
Do you really think they'd go back to fishing after the comparitively easy life of a pirate?

John T
Well they would have a viable and sustainable alternative - at the moment they have sweet bugger all - not really an excuse for piracy mark you but the choices are a bit limited at the moment. Plus of course a stable Somalia would mean it could actively police the problem - something noticably absent at present.

Last edited by Satanic Mechanic : 2nd March 2012 at 01:05.
Old 2nd March 2012, 00:29
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Give your head a Good shake SM,. You have being talking trivel for the last while on this site .Try and and leave it to those who have a lot more than you .
Old 2nd March 2012, 00:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roger View Post
Give your head a Good shake SM,. You have being talking trivel for the last while on this site .Try and and leave it to those who have a lot more than you .
Yean yeah yeah - a guy suggests trying to cure the problem at source - usual pishy reply

Dime Bar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diime Bar.jpg (3.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 2nd March 2012, 02:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Mechanic View Post
Well they would have a viable and sustainable alternative - at the moment they have sweet bugger all - not really an excuse for piracy mark you but the choices are a bit limited at the moment. Plus of course a stable Somalia would mean it could actively police the problem - something noticably absent at present.
A nice idea. Why don't you go there and explain it to them?

John T
Old 2nd March 2012, 03:11

Quote:
A nice idea. Why don't you go there and explain it to them?

John T
Bugger off - its soddin dangerous there!!!!

Actually on a slightly serious note - while it is a bit towards the Utopian to think we can bring peace to Somalia - in recent years we have had a 0% success rate in every attempt elsewhere we have got involved - to my mind the only effective solution to rid that part of the world of pirates is for Somalia to get some sort of stability in order to deal with the problem from within and to be able to carry out a bit of hearts and minds in the area - where understandably the pirates are seen as something like folk heroes at the moment. Between mercenaries, pirates, navies, yahoos and out and out nutjobs it is rapidly becoming like the wild west out there - I just cant see any winners as it is I'm afraid. Needs a bit of a new approach - what that is I'm not sure though.
Old 2nd March 2012, 05:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Mechanic View Post
Bugger off - its soddin dangerous there!!!!

Actually on a slightly serious note - while it is a bit towards the Utopian to think we can bring peace to Somalia - in recent years we have had a 0% success rate in every attempt elsewhere we have got involved - to my mind the only effective solution to rid that part of the world of pirates is for Somalia to get some sort of stability in order to deal with the problem from within and to be able to carry out a bit of hearts and minds in the area - where understandably the pirates are seen as something like folk heroes at the moment. Between mercenaries, pirates, navies, yahoos and out and out nutjobs it is rapidly becoming like the wild west out there - I just cant see any winners as it is I'm afraid. Needs a bit of a new approach - what that is I'm not sure though.
I would be quite content letting them butcher each other, and then, whenever we run into them out at sea, we butcher them there.
Old 2nd March 2012, 06:53

"carry out a bit of hearts and minds in the area - where understandably the pirates are seen as something like folk heroes at the moment."

Good idea, SM, let us know when you get there and we'll have an SN whipround to pay your ransom.

John T
Old 2nd March 2012, 08:57

Quote:
"carry out a bit of hearts and minds in the area - where understandably the pirates are seen as something like folk heroes at the moment."

Good idea, SM, let us know when you get there and we'll have an SN whipround to pay your ransom.

John T
No thats not fair, I only make a comment on what seems to be the heart of the problem. These nutjobs are pulling in money, courtesy of us, into an otherwise war torn hell hole - if you were living there and had been brought up to believe that the west was extremely rich and didnt care about you - how would you view them? This is an extremely serious point not just a bit of counter arguement. This is the very sort of situation that is the genesis for so many problems that we face today and an absolute breeding ground for extremism of every kind.

Now make no mistake - I have no time for pirates in any way shape or form, they most definitely are not my folk hero Robin Hood types but I am far from convinced that using the big hammer is the way forward - it just sets us up for yet another conflict later.

I am also at pains to point out that I am not 100% sure what the right way is but I do think it must involve a stable Somalia

Edit: By way of an interesting point -Just got this of the dreaded Wikipedia - so I wont take it as gospel but it does highlight a much bigger problem, the fact that in general pirates are actually pretty good for the local communities in a way that governments and foreign powers most certainly have not been. Again I am not saying piracy is good but in order to truly get rid of it once and for all you have to offer an viable alternative (other than the ever popular life or death one) and maintain the positive effects the pirates have provided ashore - not least of all the ability to catch fish.

"There have been both positive and negative effects of the pirates' economic success. Local residents have complained that the presence of so many armed men makes them feel insecure, and that their free spending ways cause wild fluctuations in the local exchange rate. Others fault them for excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages and khat.[87]

On the other hand, many other residents appreciate the rejuvenating effect that the pirates' on-shore spending and re-stocking has had on their impoverished towns, a presence which has often provided jobs and opportunity when there were none. Entire hamlets have in the process been transformed into veritable boomtowns, with local shop owners and other residents using their gains to purchase items such as generators -- "allowing full days of electricity, once an unimaginable luxury."[91]

Local fishermen in the Malindi area of Kenya to the south have reported their largest catches in forty years, catching hundreds of kilos of fish and earning fifty times the average daily wage as a result. They attribute the recent abundance of marine stock to the pirates scaring away the foreign fishing trawlers, which it is claimed have for decades deprived local dhows of a livelihood. Marine biologists agree, saying that the indicators are that the local fishery is recovering because of the lack of commercial scale fishing.[92]

The Somali piracy appears to have a positive impact on the problem of overfishing in Somali waters by foreign vessels, as a comparison has been made with the situation in Tanzania further to the south, which suffers from the same problem, and also lacks the means to enforce the protection and regulation of its territorial waters. There, the catches have dropped to dramatic low levels, whereas in Somalia they have risen back to more acceptable levels since the beginning of the piracy"

Last edited by Satanic Mechanic : 2nd March 2012 at 09:41.
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:24

"not really an excuse for piracy mark you but the choices are a bit limited at the moment. "

Not REALLY an excuse for piracy. I think that is the most crassest statement I've ever read on Ships Nostalgia. "You gonna show us your medals mister" runs it a close second