Saint Aidan - Ships Nostalgia
13:08

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Saint Aidan

Old 24th April 2012, 21:10

Saint Aidan

I was in the office of gardners in glasgow where there was a model of the vessel on display.I could not wait to join her.I was to go over to bangor in nothern Ireland to report for duty.When i arrived in this lovely part of the world all i could see when i got down to the waterside was this what i would have called a (puffer) in my part of the world lying on the sand.I walked around to the Queens Hotel and spotted a young lad in cooks checks standing at the bar.I asked him if he could direct me to the docks.He said i must be his new galley boy and pointed to the said (puffer)First trip round to blyth via cape wrath in the winter.I lasted all of two months on this vessel sea sick for both of them.I still remember having to go outside to change the gas bottle for the stove in all weather.
great respect for my fellow seafarers who sail around our coast to this day.I preferred to bob about on the deep sea Bulkers.
Old 27th April 2012, 05:49
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by para handy clyde View Post
I was in the office of gardners in glasgow where there was a model of the vessel on display.I could not wait to join her.I was to go over to bangor in nothern Ireland to report for duty.When i arrived in this lovely part of the world all i could see when i got down to the waterside was this what i would have called a (puffer) in my part of the world lying on the sand.I walked around to the Queens Hotel and spotted a young lad in cooks checks standing at the bar.I asked him if he could direct me to the docks.He said i must be his new galley boy and pointed to the said (puffer)First trip round to blyth via cape wrath in the winter.I lasted all of two months on this vessel sea sick for both of them.I still remember having to go outside to change the gas bottle for the stove in all weather.
great respect for my fellow seafarers who sail around our coast to this day.I preferred to bob about on the deep sea Bulkers.
Hi Para,
I too remember doing winters in Robertsons of Glasgow. Talk about rough weather! We used to do Gdansk- West Coast of Ireland (Sligo). I'm not exactly sure of the duration, say normally three days, could take us up to five or more days battling over the north of Scotland then trying to shelter down the Western Isles before heading into the North Atlantic/ Western Approaches. and down to Sligo. It was common practice to be hove to battling storm 10.
On one of those trips I remember observing a huge laden tanker going the opposite direction. Her crew would probably have had no idea of the atrocious conditions aboard our vessel as she ploughed effortlessly on her way. In this case Big wasn't only Beautiful it was
positively sublime!
Best Wishes Tony Stuart
Old 19th March 2013, 21:44

i sailed second mate on the aiden in1970 with capt bert overton aproper gentleman he was skiboo
Old 20th March 2013, 03:06
Retired Ancient Mariner
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
The Polish coal rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Stuart View Post
Hi Para,
I too remember doing winters in Robertsons of Glasgow. Talk about rough weather! We used to do Gdansk- West Coast of Ireland (Sligo). I'm not exactly sure of the duration, say normally three days, could take us up to five or more days battling over the north of Scotland then trying to shelter down the Western Isles before heading into the North Atlantic/ Western Approaches. and down to Sligo. It was common practice to be hove to battling storm 10.
Best Wishes Tony Stuart
Did that trip many a time and understand the weather. We had such bad weather one trip that we anchored five times.
One morning the cook came to see me and asked if we would be anchoring again as we had only enough food for another day. Had to brave it and battle down to Killybegs and up to the local grocery store for supplies.
That was just near Sligo and sometimes we took part cargo for both ports.
One time in Sligo we finished discharge and the receiver, I think it was Tedcastle McCormack said we were short about 500 tons. Opened the hatches and showed them we had no coal on board.
Found out next trip that one enterprising fellow put his truck in line and the crane driver loaded him like the others. Did that many times and took the coal out to the country and sold it at a very cheap rate
Old 21st March 2013, 19:41

i remember one night going through the pentlands light ship gale of wind against tide icould have swore she lifted and as she fell she swung round many a bad passage we had in her skiboo