Banana Palace - Ships Nostalgia
01:35

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Banana Palace

Old 1st February 2006, 09:07

My location
Banana Palace

Do any of you USS CO leftovers remember the Banana Palace ? Did you ever stay there ?
Old 1st February 2006, 09:16

My location
PS its not just for USS Co..they did not discriminate..any Seaman was welcome....tell us of your experience and did you go for the bananas or the jam butties
Old 2nd February 2006, 05:06

Thumbs up Re Hotels

Hi KPC,
One watering hole you would remember being a towny as to speak. The old snake pit with the delightful bar person Bodicea and plenty coastie hosties.
Cheers
Gary
Old 2nd February 2006, 05:23

My location
Exclamation

But.......what about the Banana Palace ? The Snake Pit was for any old body.......knew Boadecia well......but thats another story ! PS..the Banana Palace was in Wellington
Old 6th February 2006, 23:15

My location
Banana Palace

OK.........It was one of those you had to be there places obviously. The Banana Palace was a boarding house on Tinakori Road in Wellington NZ. Also known as the Buckos Palace it was a popular rest home for tired and emotional Seafarers especially the younger set.......hence the name Buckos Palace. The name Banana Palace came about because of the Breakfast Fare which never ever changed. One had a choice of Pot of Tea with 2 slices of bread and a Banana OR a Pot of Tea with 2 slices of bread and jam. I think it cost 1 pound ten or 30 bob a week to camp there...it was clean and very well known. I am trying to get more detail from some of my contempories and will post if I find any more..ie..it had a name I think...something "House" maybe. Anyway...thats the deal re banana Palace.
Old 7th February 2006, 21:31
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1963 - 1982

My location
There were anumber of places where one could sociallize in Auckland.. The Snake pit, the Queens Ferry hotel in Vulcan lane and a pub in fanshaw st, base of Hobson St.
I had to have "Balls" to visit there if i recall right
Great days alright....
Old 11th October 2009, 08:49

My location
Interesting memories here. I have stayed in the banana house (a.k.a. bucko's palace.) As I recall it was reasonably handy to the Union rooms on the Terrace,
Cheers all- Mike Hogan
Old 11th October 2009, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPC View Post
Also known as the Buckos Palace it was a popular rest home for tired and emotional Seafarers especially the younger set.......hence the name Buckos Palace.
"Tired and emotional seafarers", lovely turn of phrase. It would be nice if there were a place like that for the older, ex seafarer set.
Old 19th March 2010, 00:03

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurie View Post
There were anumber of places where one could sociallize in Auckland.. The Snake pit, the Queens Ferry hotel in Vulcan lane and a pub in fanshaw st, base of Hobson St.
Great days alright....
That would be Gleesons where the ladies would sing
Cock a doodle doo any old cockle doo.
Old 19th March 2010, 01:26

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurie View Post
Great days alright....
Maurie

You have awakened some vivid memories of Vulcan Lane. The Ferry was just up from the Occidental.
The Occidental was owned by Terry Keene and was one of my favourite haunts in the early sixties along with the Ferry. You could always get a drink after hours at the Occy and the Sunday morning 'church meeting' was for those 'in the know'.
Both were frequented by bookies and newspaper and TV journalists, though mainly the Ferry.
Jorgensen and his cohort in the Basset Road murders, as well as one of their victims Speight, a seaman, were also patrons. They were well known and you were wise to steer clear of their group.
Auckland was a wild place in those days.

Taff