Canadian Pacific - Ships Nostalgia
21:52

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Canadian Pacific

Old 10th February 2006, 23:17

Canadian Pacific

Have not seen any reference to CP on this site, I sailed on the Beaverboats from 1965 to 1970. Looking for anyone who sailed at that time. Sailed on Beaverelm, Beaverash, Beaverpine, Lord Strathcona, and Pacific Logger.
Had some great times, met some great people.
Geoff Bray
Old 11th February 2006, 00:07

My location
"Beaver Elm" 3 voyages 1966.great little ship,would roll on blotting paper,great crew,great lakes trips.

"Empress of Canada" 1968.
Old 11th February 2006, 00:11

CP Ships

Hi Dave,
Were you the second Mate, I sailed with you, I was the fourth engineer
I think Aly White was the Old Man?
Cheers
Geoff
Old 15th February 2006, 09:53

Beaverfir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Bray
Have not seen any reference to CP on this site, I sailed on the Beaverboats from 1965 to 1970. Looking for anyone who sailed at that time. Sailed on Beaverelm, Beaverash, Beaverpine, Lord Strathcona, and Pacific Logger.
Had some great times, met some great people.
Geoff Bray
undefined

Do you remember Beaverfir as my sisters husband was deck crew in 1966 John Vallis.He enjoyed the CP Beaver line.He said their ships rolled but enjoyed them.
Old 15th February 2006, 11:43
danube4

My location
Go down to recent posts, type Beavercove. Beaverford. for pics. Barney.
Old 15th February 2006, 13:28

CP Ships Beaverfir

Bob,
Yes I remember the Beaverfir, I actually stood by on that vessel in London, it was the first ship I joined in CP. She was rather a small ship and crossing the Atlantic in the winter was a bit of a bind, even on the other beavers was quite a challenge, we had a wave come down the funnel on the Beaverelm one voyage. Every one on board would say "never again' at the time. But then next trip you would see everyone signing on again.
Happy Days
Old 15th February 2006, 18:37

My location
Quote:
Hi Dave,
Were you the second Mate, I sailed with you, I was the fourth engineer
I think Aly White was the Old Man?
Cheers
Geoff
Hi Geoff
Sorry mate, closest I got to second mate was when we tied up/let go,at the time I was AB, must admit most were good sh*ts.

'Beaver Elm' 21/02/66-24/03/66..Capt Williams
07/07/66-**/09/66..Capt Ford ??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BeaverElm in Montreal.jpg (76.9 KB, 153 views)
Old 15th February 2006, 23:42

Beaverelm

Dave,
I just checked my discharge book and I was on leave both the trips that you sailed, however I did sail with both Williams and Ford. Bill Williams was bounced off the Empress vessels when he had that collision in the St Lawence River, and for one trip he sailed as mate under Basil Ford as old man,
That must have been tough because they were both buddies, and before the incident Bill Williams had been Commodore of the fleet.
There is a CP website for ex employees.
Cheers
Geoff Bray
Old 16th February 2006, 02:15
Lanaud

My location
What date and year?

Quote:
Dave,
I just checked my discharge book and I was on leave both the trips that you sailed, however I did sail with both Williams and Ford. Bill Williams was bounced off the Empress vessels when he had that collision in the St Lawence River, and for one trip he sailed as mate under Basil Ford as old man,
That must have been tough because they were both buddies, and before the incident Bill Williams had been Commodore of the fleet.
There is a CP website for ex employees.
Cheers
Geoff Bray

I remember my dad telling me they'd been hit sometime someplace on the River here. He was on the Sea Transport I believe, or the River Transport....

This the one hit?
Old 23rd February 2006, 22:14

re: CP Ships ex employees web site

Geoff
What is the url for the website for CP Ships ex employees
Regards

Gand00k1n
Old 24th February 2006, 05:33

My location
I remember the Pacific Logger, loading logs (of all things) at the Port of Astoria on the Columbia River, December 1969. It usually took a week, but the ship was tied up for two weeks or so due to some kind of problem, maybe rough weather. As I recall, the only reason it called was a longshoremans strike in BC. Crew was from Hong Kong. I have a picture or two somewhere.
Old 24th February 2006, 14:35

Pacific Logger

Hi Tuna,
I was on the ship that voyage,we had previously loaded a cargo of logs in Coose Bay and had sailed for Japan on December 22, after two days out we hit one of the worst storms I'd ever been in. I was standing in the alleyway talking to the oldman and chief engineer and the chinese chippy came running up to us and said that number one hatch bilge soundings was 28 feet, we all looked at him and told him he must be mistaken, he said No!No! it's right. So the Chief Engineer agreed to go check it with him, we had cargo piled twenty feet on the deck, some of it forward had come loose and was hanging over the side.
The oldman went on the bridge and turned the ship leeward, and the C/E and chippy went up the fore deck, and sure enough the water was right up the sounding pipe, the ship was down by the head and we could not steer it on auto pilot, by this time all the chinese crew had their life jackets on, my crew would not come down the engine room. Captain Cummings decided to turn back for Astoria, it was the closest port. When we got along side, we put power on the windlass for tying up and everything was dead, the forcastle was full of water as well. The dockers did not want to go near the cargo at first for fear of it moving, but did eventually, when they opened number one hatch, the log cargo came up with such a rush, it all shot in the air... What a mess, this was only the ships second voyage from being built, all the hand rails on the forcastle were twisted like sticks of liqorice, and the ships name was on the water line when we finally tied up, I have some photos but do not know how to upload them on to this site.
We were there for at least two weeks with repairs and re-loading the cargo
The mate got fired for not making sure that number one hatch covers were battened down.
The Pacific Logger had replaced another CP Ship, that had sunk in the north pacific earlier named R.B. Angus.
Needeless to say I swallowed the anchor after that next vogage and quite the sea.
Old 24th February 2006, 15:14
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Welcome Gand00k1n to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.
Old 25th February 2006, 06:43

My location
Quote:
Hi Tuna,
I was on the ship that voyage,we had previously loaded a cargo of logs in Coose Bay and had sailed for Japan on December 22, after two days out we hit one of the worst storms I'd ever been in. I was standing in the alleyway talking to the oldman and chief engineer and the chinese chippy came running up to us and said that number one hatch bilge soundings was 28 feet, we all looked at him and told him he must be mistaken, he said No!No! it's right. So the Chief Engineer agreed to go check it with him, we had cargo piled twenty feet on the deck, some of it forward had come loose and was hanging over the side.
The oldman went on the bridge and turned the ship leeward, and the C/E and chippy went up the fore deck, and sure enough the water was right up the sounding pipe, the ship was down by the head and we could not steer it on auto pilot, by this time all the chinese crew had their life jackets on, my crew would not come down the engine room. Captain Cummings decided to turn back for Astoria, it was the closest port. When we got along side, we put power on the windlass for tying up and everything was dead, the forcastle was full of water as well. The dockers did not want to go near the cargo at first for fear of it moving, but did eventually, when they opened number one hatch, the log cargo came up with such a rush, it all shot in the air... What a mess, this was only the ships second voyage from being built, all the hand rails on the forcastle were twisted like sticks of liqorice, and the ships name was on the water line when we finally tied up, I have some photos but do not know how to upload them on to this site.
We were there for at least two weeks with repairs and re-loading the cargo
The mate got fired for not making sure that number one hatch covers were battened down.
The Pacific Logger had replaced another CP Ship, that had sunk in the north pacific earlier named R.B. Angus.
Needeless to say I swallowed the anchor after that next vogage and quite the sea.
That jogs my memory. Everything on deck and in one of the holds had to be offloaded and there wasn't a lot of room on the dock, so it was trucked off to a storage lot. Officers and engineers had a bar, I remember one friendly Canadian fellow with dark hair and a full dark beard. There was a Chinese QM who loved American soul music, had a portable player when those things were not very common or cheap. Bermuda flag.
Old 4th March 2006, 11:34
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Electrician
Active: 1967 - 1979

Duchess of Atholl

My Father John Cullen was a crew member of the Duchess
when torpedoed 10/10/1942
see below references to the great ship
Dad arrived in Australia today will see him in a couple of weeks when he comes to Canberra he is 85 years young
Survival at Sea
Duchess of Atholl Duchess of Atholl - See John Trevor Liney Telegraphist An Atholl Survivor - See John Cullen's Story

www.gordonmumford.com/survive.htm

as a footnote dad and Trevor have spoken by Phone
some 62 years after the event

Last edited by jimmyc : 4th March 2006 at 11:38.
Old 5th March 2006, 04:18

MV Beaveroak

For all you old CP folks. Two photos of the Beaveroak. Copied from a book I have.

Regards

Blair lagerstedt
NZ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beaveroak2.jpg (272.9 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg beaveroak.jpg (271.0 KB, 128 views)
Old 5th March 2006, 10:00

Hi Geoff

Attached Beaverpine from "Laurence Dunn's - Thame Shipping" ISBN 0 9518656 1 7

Regards

NigelC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beaverpine.jpg (72.8 KB, 113 views)
Old 5th March 2006, 14:02

CP Ships

Hi Nigel,
Thanks for the Pic of the Beaverpine, I spent a couple of happy years sailing on her as 3rd and 2nd engineer. I have some other shipboard Pics that I would like to post , but not very computer literate I am afraid.
Will have to put more effort into it
Thanks a lot anyway
Best Regards
Geoff
Old 29th March 2006, 23:27

Deck plans

has anyone any idea how I can get hold of Deckplans
of The Duchess of Atholl
Old 30th March 2006, 23:45

My location
Doing a bit of sorting,found in toolbox .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP Ships matches.jpg (29.0 KB, 199 views)
Old 30th March 2006, 23:53

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyc
has anyone any idea how I can get hold of Deckplans
of The Duchess of Atholl
Could be a chance here to find what your looking for..http://www.fishernauticalbooks.co.uk/page2.asp
Old 3rd April 2006, 21:29

CP Web site

In case anyone doesn't already know, the Web site for CP Ships is www.timelink.org.uk/index.htm

Regards,

Dave Townson.
Old 13th April 2006, 16:48

Duchess

Thanks Dave and Dave
have checked with both sites awaiting reply
appreciate your assisstance
kindest regards Jim
Old 13th April 2006, 21:40

Was on the "Empress of Canada" early '60's what became of her???
Old 13th April 2006, 22:59

Empress of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee bobby
Was on the "Empress of Canada" early '60's what became of her???
See link below

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/de...ml#dofrichmond

DUCHESS OF RICHMOND / EMPRESS OF CANADA (2) 1928
20,022 gross tons, length 601ft x beam 71.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 18 knots, accommodation for 580-cabin, 480-tourist and 510-3rd class passengers. Built by John Brown & Co, Glasgow, she was launched on 18th Jun.1928 for Canadian Pacific Steamships Ltd. Her maiden voyage started 15th Mar.1929 when she left Liverpool for St. John, NB and she continued Canada sailings until starting her last pre-war crossing from Montreal to Liverpool on 15th Dec.1939. She was then used as a troopship until May 1946 when she arrived at Glasgow for refurbishment. Refitted to carry 400-1st and 300-tourist class passengers and speed increased to 20 knots, she was renamed EMPRESS OF CANADA in 1947. On 16th Jul.1947 she left Liverpool on her first post war voyage to Quebec and Montreal and made a total of 186 round voyages on the North Atlantic. She caught fire at Gladstone Dock, Liverpool on 25th Jan.1953, heeled over and sank in dock. Refloated in March 1954, she left Liverpool in tow on 1st Sept. and was scrapped at Spezia, Italy.