Cutter Suction Dredger Called The "BLED" - Ships Nostalgia
11:48

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cutter Suction Dredger Called The "BLED"

Old 13th February 2006, 07:28
Norm

Cutter Suction Dredger Called The "BLED"

I am interested in finding out about the above mentioned dredger called the BLED it was the last ship to be finished out of Fleming and Fergusons shipyard in Paisley Scotland and was bought by a Yugoslavian Company it was originally supposed to be a portable dredger and was the largest of its kind but it was all welded up and was launched instead
Old 10th March 2006, 21:12
Norm

Bled

It always amazes me how the ships can vanish and nobody can find them even if you have all the particulars I have even checked the Shipyard archives for pictures of this one
Old 29th March 2006, 16:13
Jimmy

Hello Norrie. Just rejoined the site but having trouble posting.

Jimmy.
Old 11th April 2007, 23:22
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Purser
Active: 1975 - 1979

BLED - Built 1969 by Fleming and Ferguson. She was a non self propelling Cutter Suction Dredger of 275 Gross Registered Tonnage. She was a speculative new build and remained on the slipway when the yard was wound up, being completed and commissioned by the Renfrew boat builders Hugh McLean & Sons being eventually sold to Yugoslavian owners.
Fleming & Ferguson went into receivership in 1965 and were rescued by the American Marine & machinery Co. but this was too late to save the yard.
Old 12th April 2007, 04:53
Norm

Hello Allan
Thanks for the information,I worked in the Shipyard and was there to see the Launch it was quite a site as I thought that she was going to sink as she took quite a while to level out,also did you know that the Clyde Port Authority wa slooking at using her after their Bucket Dredger sank in a gale on the River Clyde but decided not as it did not meet certain requirements,you don't happen to know where I could latch onto a Picture of her
Regards
Norm
Old 12th April 2007, 09:33

I'd try the Mitchell Library in Glasgow as they have most of the archives from the Shipyard.

I remember the Blythswood sinking but they salvaged her and she continued in use until scrapped in 1994
Old 13th April 2007, 06:41
Norm

I don't remember the Blythswood sinking the one I know for sure was the Cessnock which was also built at Fleming & Fergusons but she may have as I immigrated to Canada in 74
Old 13th April 2007, 09:42

I think you are right - Cessnock springs to mind - I have got the two vessels confused
Old 14th April 2007, 01:55
Norm

Not a problem Allan,as much as I love it over here I find that doing research into different ships sometimes impossible as I have to do a lot of e-mailing to different places and either not getting a reply or they cannot be bothered to help case in point The Mitchell Library
Regards
Norm