Clan Line - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
17:25

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Clan Line

Old 21st February 2012, 12:10
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1963 - 1968

Joined B & C after a fall out with Marconi

Clan MacDougall 4/66 -9/66
Clan MacLennan 11/66 - 4/67
Nicholas Bowater 7/67 - 5/68

Came ashore as met what I thought was the love of my life.(Turned out not to be, well not that one anyway)
Old 21st February 2012, 13:26
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - 1988

Smile love of your life

Aye and you were always told you will know when it hits you,it must have been just a glancing blow,anyway i hope you got the right one eventually.I got a dear John from the love of my life,it broke my heart and to make it even worse he was a bloody radio officer,anyway he did me a real favour because i then met the love of my life and we are still married after 33 years, the wee darlin.Hope it wisny you that stole my bird!
cheers.
Maurice Gibson.
Old 21st February 2012, 13:36
Active: 1963 - 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice gibson View Post
Hope it wisny you that stole my bird!
Not unless you have lived in Cornwall at some time though doubt it as have met her first one, been ashore a few years before the real one came along, all worked out at the second attempt, still together and enjoying each others company after over thirty years.
Old 9th March 2012, 16:14
Active: 1956 - 1968

Wow, I'am getting a little bit worried with Clan Line marital status, love of my life, a few years later, once again, the love of my life. It was the love of my life on a yearly basis, but I never forget. Every Christmas I send off a sackful of cards.
Old 29th April 2012, 12:49
Department: Deck
Active: 1975 - 1983

My location
Another Clan line career…

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan ward View Post
I don`t understand why there are so few postings from ex-Clan crew members.I have contacted ship mates on other sites often more by chance than good judgement.I sailed on the Ranald twice,Sutherland,Menzies and Malcolm working on many others too many to remember whilst in Birkenhead,London or Tilbury Docks.I found them a good outfit and only left them for promotion.
Here's my career with B&C.
as Deck Cadet:
Clan Menzies joined at Hull on 4/2/76 and paid off on 16/5/76 at Genoa
Clan Ramsay joined at Cardiff on 25/6/76 and paid off on 24/8/76 at Falmouth
Clan Ramsay joined at Cardiff on 20/9/76 and paid off on 23/12/76 at Hull
Clan Ramsay joined at Wallsend (dry dock) on 17/1/77 and paid off on 25/3/77 at Hull (name changed to Winchester Castle)
Clan Mathieson joined at Hull on 27/8/77 and paid off on 10/2/78 at Avonmouth
King George joined at Rotterdam on 2/5/78 and paid off on 23/5/78 at Falmouth
Clan Malcolm joined at Hull on 25/5/78 and paid off on 20/10/78 at London
Clan MacGregor joined at Avonmouth on 4/12/78 and paid off on 22/12/78 at Manchester
Dover Universal joined at London on 17/8/79 and paid off on 30/8/79 at Hull
Winchester Universal loined at Southampton on 10/9/79 and paid off on 15/9/79 at Southampton
as Third Mate:
Clan MacNair joined at Manchester on 28/2/80 and paid of on 4/4/80 at Birkenhead
Clan MacNair joined at Birkenhead on 17/4/80 and paid off 30/6/80 at Mombasa (ship sold/handed over to Singapore owner)
Clan MacGregor joined at Glasgow on 3/11/80 and paid off on 16/3/81 at Avonmouth
King William joined at Falmouth on 2/6/81 and paid off on 9/6/81 at Falmouth
King Richard joined at Ghent on 24/6/81 and paid off on 26/10/81 at Rotterdam
King Alfred joined at Naples on 15/2/82 and paid off on 19/5/82 at Genoa
Kinpurnie Universal joined at Sheerness on 14/7/82 and paid off on 15/10/82 at Cardiff.
I was made redundant after that and came ashore to work in the NHS (briefly), as a photographer (self employed and then 6 years as an archaeological site photographer), and since May 1991 I have worked at the Norwich University College of the Arts in several roles - I've been the Resources Manager since July 2005.

Always happy to hear from old shipmates and Warsash alumni. I can be emailed at one8fiveATgmail.com (change AT to @).
Old 30th April 2012, 21:50
Active: 1971 - 1988

Alan,
I dont know if we actually met but looking at my old discharge book i left the Clan menzies in Hull 2/2/76 after doing a voyage ,i was a 5th engineer.I lasted with the company until about christmas,82 and got notice of my redundancy whilst on leave,my last ship was the Meltem Universal and left that at Jeddahon 19/10/82.I have a number of Clansmen magazines around this time and a will look through them,there will probably be some pictures of you and some of your old college pals,i looked at these recently and there was a few pictures of navigating cadets around this time ,i will look these up and let you know if you are mentioned.
Cheers,
Maurice Gibson

Last edited by maurice gibson : 30th April 2012 at 21:52. Reason: spelling
Old 30th April 2012, 22:08
Active: 1981 - Present

My location
185 Queens..........I was on the King Alfred in Naples when you joined 82, first trip deck boy. Colin Brookes was the bosun, from St Helena, A. Macintyre was the old man and Pete Ward the mate .....I think, long time ago now, i paid off in dry dock, Malta.

Last edited by timo : 30th April 2012 at 22:11.
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:40
andysk andysk is online now   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Active: 1970 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo View Post
185 Queens..........I was on the King Alfred in Naples when you joined 82, first trip deck boy. Colin Brookes was the bosun, from St Helena, A. Macintyre was the old man and Pete Ward the mate .....I think, long time ago now, i paid off in dry dock, Malta.
Archie Mac was a character, I wonder what happened to him.
Pete Ward, was he from Boroughbridge North Yorks ? If so, I sailed with him a couple of times, did he ever get his command ?
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:38
Active: 1981 - Present

My location
Can't help you with that one andysk, I did the Alfred, Scottish Lion and Edinburgh Universal and that was my lot with Cayzers, when I joined the Alfred end of 81 I think they had about a dozen ships under the red ensign, when I finished early 83 they only had 4 still trading, Pete Ward was English, thats as much as I can recall.
Old 25th March 2013, 14:10
Active: 1967 - 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice gibson View Post
i agree these guys were very good,i remember peter hollingsworth a rough tough geordie ,he had immaculte manicured nails but still managed to get really stuck in when things went wrong.I feel these guys were invaluable in that they were happy to stay at their rank because they did not have a ticket ,most of them were only too happy to impart their knowledge to any keen cadet or junior engineer.There was not much they did not know,a certificate of competancy does not mean that the holder is a better engineer,we are all differant some of us have ambitions to get to the top asap,others are happy to get to a certain level and carry on stress free.
Porky Geordie Hollingsworth, together with Johnny Goodrum did our pre-sea training together at Les Broomfield's acadamy in Jan '67. Never saw them again until Nov '74 when I was standing in for Dave Bradford in Southampton just before I emigrated. A consequence of being a casualty of the Bowaters Marriage Bureau!
Old 25th March 2013, 14:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P View Post
Started in '71 but didn't join my first ship until 1973. Clan Alpine in Avonmouth. Paid off in Glasgow and joined Clan Macgillivray, in Antwerp, the next day. Trips on Clan Ranald, Clan Macinnes and King Charles finished off the sea phase of my cadetship.Up to 3/E before it all went t*ts up and ended up on foreign flag reefers. Those few years with the Clan Line were the best I've ever had at sea - didn't want to come home half the time - shame it's not the same now!!
Steve, when were you on the MacInnes? I was S/2/E on her Aug '72 to Jan '73 and there were 3 engine gadgets Steve something, Andy Humpish and something Drysdale whose father was a C/E in Crazy Irvine. Was that Steve You?
Old 25th March 2013, 20:46

Hello Fred
No, I don't think so. I was only on MacInnes for 11 days in July '74. Joined N.Shields and paid off London. I have no memory at all of who was onboard sadly.
Regards Steve
Old 25th March 2013, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P View Post
Hello Fred
No, I don't think so. I was only on MacInnes for 11 days in July '74. Joined N.Shields and paid off London. I have no memory at all of who was onboard sadly.
Regards Steve
Steve,
Thank you for the response. I was on the Oranje in July '74.
The engine gadgets on the MacInnes when I was there did the trip out to South Africa, up the East African coast and back to the UK.
Fred
Old 26th March 2013, 12:28
Active: 1977 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysk View Post
Pete Ward, was he from Boroughbridge North Yorks ? If so, I sailed with him a couple of times, did he ever get his command ?
Peter got his Old Mans job on the reefers that Cayzers had the manning of from 1983. They later sold off the manning company & today it is London Ship Management.
Old 26th March 2013, 16:12
andysk andysk is online now   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Active: 1970 - 1978

Thanks Wharferat, it's good to know he got his command in the end with CI ...