USSCo Vessels Purchased by John Manners - Ships Nostalgia
03:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

USSCo Vessels Purchased by John Manners

Old 20th February 2006, 11:08

My location
USSCo Vessels Purchased by John Manners

In the gallery of John Briggs is a great photo of 'Korimiko', resplendent in her new funnel colours of John Manners & Co. Ltd, Hong Kong and renamed Jose Regidor.
Other Union Company vessels purchased by Manners (under various company names) that I know of were;-
'Waipiata' (2826 grt, '26) - purchased 1956, renamed 'San Roberto' (Pan). Sold 1966.
'Kini' (1388 grt, '30) - purchased 1956, renamed 'Brenda' (Pan). Sold 1961
'Waimatino' (3067 grt, '30) - purchased 1957, renamed 'San Eduardo'. 1964 renamed 'Flores'. Sold 1966
'Kauri' (2361 grt, '36) - purchased 1962, renamed 'Carolina' (Pan). 1967 renamed 'Miranda'. Sold 1968.
'Kamona' (1785 grt, '49) - purchased 12/11/65 and on-sold to Australian owners on same day.
'Komata' (3543 grt, '46) - purchased 1967 and renamed 'Antonia Regidor' (Pan). Re-sold on arrival in Hong Kong.
'Rangatira' (6152 grt, '31) - purchased 9/67 and on-sold same month.
Old 21st February 2006, 08:43

Manners USS

I spent a year on the Komata just before she was slod. Have a lot of memories of her, mostly good ones. The machinery was is in good nick when she was sold. Did a lot of work on her, even had a hot smoky unit one night in Bass straight, luckly it was dead came. Never been a been a great fan of a hot unit. Went surfing on her one night, backwards a few times, even been barriered out from all from all others. Our cargo was a little liguid, well some of it and had a low flash point. Same ship, before I joined her, went on the rocks, wrong turn approaching Wellington. Ever hear of magnetic torches, dont help the compass
Jim B
Old 24th February 2006, 01:20

KOMATA was my first ship, 1964 voyage from NZ to Thevenard S.Australia for gypsum then general cargo from melbourne back to NZ. A little "Caledonia",Master was Jock Sutherland, Mate "Haggis"Anderson, 2nd Mate "Sciver" McEwan. Komata then was showing signs of the tough life on the trans Tasman run, but down below in the engine room she was spotless.
John B.
Old 17th December 2006, 05:46

Greetings from new member Iain Steverson.Nice to be aboard.I sailed in all the USSCO.NZ Komata class as Cadet/3M/2M. Alexander Stephens built a good solid ship but spartan. Must have been a shock to the lads who joined fronm the "Home Boats". Mind you I then went to the UK and was 2/M of GSNC Woodwren then 5 years old sitting aboard in St Katherines or was it London Dock with a hurricane lamp for company . Merry Christmas all
Old 17th December 2006, 05:59
Forever a Seaman
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1956 - 1973

My location
Welcome to the site Iain. You will love this, it has so much information and you will find the collective knowledge of the members can answer almost any maritime query.
Old 17th December 2006, 08:03

Interesting the Manners bought a number of Union ships. Apart from the Komata, I sailed a ship called the Ashburton with Trinders. Manners bought he in the UK. I was on her then she was bought my Manners. I spent three and a half months tied up in the Tyne when half the engine was taken out and repaired. I often wonder if Manners kept he very long.
Jim B
Old 17th December 2006, 08:49
Forever a Seaman
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1956 - 1973

My location
Jim,

Ashburton, purchased by Manners March 1962 and renamed Pacific Breeze. May 12th 1964 grounded north of Datenga and forward holds flooded. Refloated 15th May 1964. Renamed San Roberto August 1965. Rammed by Emilia Rosello on 18th January 1967 and severely damaged. 25/3/67 left Tokyo Bay under tow for Muroran for breaking up. All under Manners ownership.

Last edited by John Briggs : 17th December 2006 at 08:52.
Old 18th December 2006, 08:50

John
Thank you for the Ashburton information. I was one of the people who were flown to Noumea to work on her to bring her back to the UK. I spent from 18 Dec 61 in the Tyne during the repaire time was done on the engine, and other bits up to March 62. I am in the process of writing up my experiences with her, and a few others. My aim is to leave a history of my time at sea, especialy my children and grandchildren.
Jim B
Old 19th December 2006, 00:29

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by John B. View Post
KOMATA was my first ship, 1964 voyage from NZ to Thevenard S.Australia for gypsum then general cargo from melbourne back to NZ. A little "Caledonia",Master was Jock Sutherland, Mate "Haggis"Anderson, 2nd Mate "Sciver" McEwan. Komata then was showing signs of the tough life on the trans Tasman run, but down below in the engine room she was spotless.
John B.
Just to let you know Haggis Anderson is now retired in Haveloc North. After time on rail ferries he finished as 2nd mate with Strait Shipping
Old 19th December 2006, 21:50

Komata - I believe Vern Coleman was Master of her when she went aground in Owhiro Bay .
Jock Sutherland passed away in late 2005 if I am correct.

Butters
(Lindsay Butterfield)