Mv Mystic - Ships Nostalgia
05:26

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Mv Mystic

Old 23rd February 2006, 19:54

Mv Mystic

http://jpeg I did a coastal trip on the Mystic as an EDH from London to Glasgow.
The voyage record was:
Sailed from London 16 February 1960
Arrived Liverpool 18 " "
Left Liverpool 22 " "
Arrived Stanlow 22 " "
Left Stanlow 24 " "
Arrived Liverpool 25 " "
Left Liverpool 1st March "
Arrived Glasgow 2nd " "

I signed off on the same day that we arrived in Glasgow and due to a meeting with a girl ( who is now my wife ) prior to the start of this trip, this was my last trip in the M.N.
I believe that the Mystic was chartered to Shaw Savill from Johnson Charter Line.
She was registered in 1949 and had a gross tonnage of 6,656. She was purchased by Monrovian owners in 1975 and then sold on to Panamanian interests in1979. Thereafter she was sold for disposal in 1982

Last edited by alan jailler : 23rd February 2006 at 20:19. Reason: To add an image
Old 11th January 2007, 23:40

Great to read your comments. I joined the MV Mystic in 1969 employed by Furness Withy with first trip as J.Eng for deep sea trip to NZ and Im sure as you say chartered to Shaw Saville when we did coastal trips there. I always remember how spotless the engine rooms were with me skidding around in boots and shorts in 110 F like the proverbial B.A.F operating all manual valves and controls especially during manoeuvres. No surprise being sold to Monrovia !!! I have one small photo of this ship which reproduces quite well and can download if interested...Capt Glass
Old 1st February 2008, 23:10

G Day Cpt Glass.
Interesting reading your account of sailing on M V Mystic. I also sailed as a Jnr Eng on her ,I did two trips on her finally discharging in Hull on the 15th Oct 1968.As you would have sailed after me your comments on the cleanliness of the engine room is appreciated as a lot of effort was always applied to this chore. I wonder if the scavenge drain tins all painted in Furness colors were still hanging on the vent cocks.these wereof course one of my contriutions.
I first jioned her in Nov 1967 at Cardiff and sailed to Oz via Las Palmas for bunkers. Next stop Freemantle then around the coast to Adelaide where the crew decided to has a fire in their accomodation. We stayed in Adelaide for about 3 Weeks whilst the aft accom was refurbished. Then on to Melbourne, Sydney, where I meet my wife of 39 years.Dock strike in Sydney for 6 weeks.We came back with a full cargo of wool for discharge around the meddy,that was fun. The story is long and I wont bore you further. I sailed again and much to my horror instead of sailing to Oz as we were told we ended up in NZ.nothing wrong with NZ but I had a girl in Sydney.I also sailed on Edenmore, Norman Prince,English Prince,Scottish Prince prior to jioning the mighty Mystake. Any one who sailed on any of these ships around this period would like to hear from you. Geoff Allen now in Oz.
Old 9th February 2008, 00:56

Many thanks for your reply ,I only have one picture of the Mystic and it is a water color by a N Z artist. If you would be kind enough to post your photo on the net that would be great. I did see here again I think around 1976 at Number 2 Darling Harbour Sydney and she was named "Sea Swallow" and mystic could still be seen painted out.Fond memorys
Regards Geoff Allen.
Old 26th June 2008, 22:27

I was delighted to see the Mystic mentioned when I visited the site.
I was on her throught 1962 in my last year as a deck Apprentice.The others were Brian Kelly,Peter Kerpener,Jeremy Stanford,Bob Gardiner.
Master Capt R Proctor,Mate Ted Hoyle.2nd Mate Rog Blackburn,úrd Mate ? 4th Mate Brian Maflin.
C/E D.Graham Eng Cadets Donnie McLeod? Mel Griffiths.
The Mystic was a particularly happy ship.She had been trading to NZ before I joined but switched to Aussie when I was on her.We had a great football team run by Ron the r/o and were well known on the coast as a "Party Ship"
I regret that I didn't get back to her during the rest of my time with Furness,but a friend of mine Terry Griffiths was on her in about 1964.
look forward to your comments,
Bob Gray
Old 20th December 2008, 10:18

MV Mystic

It was interesting reading the accounts submitted by the guys who had sailed in the mystic especially the ones from Geoff Allen because I also sailed on that voyage as third engineer and so we shared the 12/4 watch.
It was a fairly eventful trip due not least to the fact that we had a horse as deck cargo from Liverpool to Wellington, he was if I remeber correctly " Gee Lee Hanover 3rd".Four days before arriving in wellington we ran into some nasty weather and took some large waves over the side which badlly damaged the horse box requiring emergency tarps tobe rigged and deck cadets to sit in the box to calm the horse. During the coastal voyage around New Zealand which took in Wellington, (twice) New Plymouth, Nelson, Lyttleton, Napier, Aukland and Dunedin and took six weeks we learned that that S.S. Gothic which had sailed for home had experienced a fatal fire I believe in the bridge area.When she returned to port for emergency repairs we met up with her and supplied spare charts for her voyage home, also relaying some of her radio messages during the Pacific crossing since her radio equipment had been significantly damaged.
I did only one trip in Mystic, having previously sailed in mv Sycamore (9trips), mv Rowanmore (6trips), mv Newfoundland (14 trips). After leaving Mystic I took 3 months leave before joining mv Manchester Freighter which was being fully taken over from Cairn line. We did a voyage to Montreal and back and were due to go to Hamilton next. However twelve hours before we were due to sail from Manchester, mv Manchester Courage ploughed through the lock gates at Irlam closing the ship canal for five weeks. ( I cannot remember clearly whether this was before or after the Montereal trip), the net result being that the Hamilton trip was cancelled and the Manchester Liners charter ended.
The ship was renamed "Lombardy" placed in the Royal Mail Lines part of Furness Withy and went on charter to a Begian company. I did two further voyaes in her before coming ashore, the first was to Miami, Vera Cruz, Tampico,Corpus Christi, Houston, New Orleans.and Pensacola. My final voyage was to the North East coast of South America returning with a full cargo of sulphur from Beaumont Texas.

Best regards to all
Peter Woodall
Old 20th March 2009, 12:54

leckepeter

nice to hear from lads that sailed on the mystic[mistake].i sailed on her on my first trip to sea.i was 2nd electrician.i did two trips on her,one to nz and one to aussie and nz.great job considering what people pay to go to these places today.not sure who was on what voyage but people i remember are;-

captain glyn roberts from north wales plus wife
electrician bill evans from chirk in wales
2nd eng ian from aberdeen
turd eng pete woodhall
j/eng geoff
j/eng pownhal
d/cdt steve lunn[i think he was connected to lunn poly travel]
c/stwd a big guy called pashby[great man]
r/o nigel alexander tompson hardy.a great guy who did a great job
making it possible to keep in touch with people back home with r/t
calls.[thanks] nigel was known to be living in OTAKI in nz.
Old 26th June 2009, 04:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by leckepeter View Post
nice to hear from lads that sailed on the mystic[mistake].i sailed on her on my first trip to sea.i was 2nd electrician.i did two trips on her,one to nz and one to aussie and nz.great job considering what people pay to go to these places today.not sure who was on what voyage but people i remember are;-

captain glyn roberts from north wales plus wife
electrician bill evans from chirk in wales
2nd eng ian from aberdeen
turd eng pete woodhall
j/eng geoff
j/eng pownhal
d/cdt steve lunn[i think he was connected to lunn poly travel]
c/stwd a big guy called pashby[great man]
r/o nigel alexander tompson hardy.a great guy who did a great job
making it possible to keep in touch with people back home with r/t
calls.[thanks] nigel was known to be living in OTAKI in nz.
I sailed on the Mystic from London in 1966 to OZ as 2nd Elect. Ron Mason was 1st Elect. he is now married to my sister.
Steve Lunn now lives in Auckland I see him when I go over for the Bledisloe Rugby Cup, Mike Pownall was from Manchester, Dave mcNaught was 3rd and I think a little Geordie Chief, cant remeber his name, his wifes name was "Virgie", not sure what that was short for, I did one trip with Bill (Educated) Evans, I left the ship in 1968 got promoted to PSNC Kenuta, but nothing was as good as the Mystic great Ship great Times. I have been living in Sydney since 1972, thanks to the Mystic, cheers Allen Stutchbury
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:08
Active: 1968 - 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Allen View Post
G Day Cpt Glass.
Interesting reading your account of sailing on M V Mystic. I also sailed as a Jnr Eng on her ,I did two trips on her finally discharging in Hull on the 15th Oct 1968.As you would have sailed after me your comments on the cleanliness of the engine room is appreciated as a lot of effort was always applied to this chore. I wonder if the scavenge drain tins all painted in Furness colors were still hanging on the vent cocks.these wereof course one of my contriutions.
I first jioned her in Nov 1967 at Cardiff and sailed to Oz via Las Palmas for bunkers. Next stop Freemantle then around the coast to Adelaide where the crew decided to has a fire in their accomodation. We stayed in Adelaide for about 3 Weeks whilst the aft accom was refurbished. Then on to Melbourne, Sydney, where I meet my wife of 39 years.Dock strike in Sydney for 6 weeks.We came back with a full cargo of wool for discharge around the meddy,that was fun. The story is long and I wont bore you further. I sailed again and much to my horror instead of sailing to Oz as we were told we ended up in NZ.nothing wrong with NZ but I had a girl in Sydney.I also sailed on Edenmore, Norman Prince,English Prince,Scottish Prince prior to jioning the mighty Mystake. Any one who sailed on any of these ships around this period would like to hear from you. Geoff Allen now in Oz.
I joined as you left her it was a run Job for me got on real well with the Chief Steward who got me a transfer to the Loch Ryan to the west coast of the States. Funnily enough just been back to there on business really odd to see Oakland San Francisco again after 44 years
Old 23rd November 2012, 13:41

manchester freighter.

eighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Woodall View Post
It was interesting reading the accounts submitted by the guys who had sailed in the mystic especially the ones from Geoff Allen because I also sailed on that voyage as third engineer and so we shared the 12/4 watch.
It was a fairly eventful trip due not least to the fact that we had a horse as deck cargo from Liverpool to Wellington, he was if I remeber correctly " Gee Lee Hanover 3rd".Four days before arriving in wellington we ran into some nasty weather and took some large waves over the side which badlly damaged the horse box requiring emergency tarps tobe rigged and deck cadets to sit in the box to calm the horse. During the coastal voyage around New Zealand which took in Wellington, (twice) New Plymouth, Nelson, Lyttleton, Napier, Aukland and Dunedin and took six weeks we learned that that S.S. Gothic which had sailed for home had experienced a fatal fire I believe in the bridge area.When she returned to port for emergency repairs we met up with her and supplied spare charts for her voyage home, also relaying some of her radio messages during the Pacific crossing since her radio equipment had been significantly damaged.
I did only one trip in Mystic, having previously sailed in mv Sycamore (9trips), mv Rowanmore (6trips), mv Newfoundland (14 trips). After leaving Mystic I took 3 months leave before joining mv Manchester Freighter which was being fully taken over from Cairn line. We did a voyage to Montreal and back and were due to go to Hamilton next. However twelve hours before we were due to sail from Manchester, mv Manchester Courage ploughed through the lock gates at Irlam closing the ship canal for five weeks. ( I cannot remember clearly whether this was before or after the Montereal trip), the net result being that the Hamilton trip was cancelled and the Manchester Liners charter ended.
The ship was renamed "Lombardy" placed in the Royal Mail Lines part of Furness Withy and went on charter to a Begian company. I did two further voyaes in her before coming ashore, the first was to Miami, Vera Cruz, Tampico,Corpus Christi, Houston, New Orleans.and Pensacola. My final voyage was to the North East coast of South America returning with a full cargo of sulphur from Beaumont Texas.

Best regards to all
Peter Woodall
Old 23rd November 2012, 13:59

peter woodall

i joined the manchester freighter when we took over from cairn line. a third eng. joined called peter lived in eccles would that have been you? charlie wordingham was ch. eng.
Old 8th January 2013, 11:50

Mv Cairnforth / Manchester Freighter/Lombardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.child View Post
i joined the manchester freighter when we took over from cairn line. a third eng. joined called peter lived in eccles would that have been you? charlie wordingham was ch. eng.
Hi Jim
Yes I am the the Peter who joined the Manchester Freighter at Manchester at the time of the integration of Cairn Line into Furness Withy. I subsequently completed three trips in her before coming ashore to join the engineering department of Express Dairyand stayed with them until I retired in 2000.I now live in East Yorkshire close to Beverley.
Old 20th July 2014, 12:02
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Electrician
Active: 1974 - 1976

MV Mystic 1958 to 1975

I was on this ship for about 8 months and on her last journey, we sailed her to Hong kong. I seem to remember that she was going to be broken up. I had a wonderful time on that ship and in that time we literally sailed around the world. Mostly we were hired by Cuba to carry sugar and return with a general cargo.

I was 2nd electrician and as I was only 21, I had to wait for promotion from my next ship which was an oil tanker with PSNC.

I've since read that the ship was sold and renamed.

I also have a full size photo takenof her from an plane over the English Channel

Last edited by eroom1953 : 20th July 2014 at 12:12. Reason: More information found