Gravesend sea school - Page 8 - Ships Nostalgia
06:14

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Gravesend sea school

Old 30th August 2008, 09:55
Catering 1958 - 2007
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

Thumbs up

Went to GSS in 58/59.Joined first ship Jan/59 and retired from the sea Oct/07 Had a great time
Old 31st August 2008, 17:55

Never mind it's nontheless interesting to dredge up all those names I'd forgotten for so long
Old 1st September 2008, 21:54
Active: 1960 - 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by john fraser View Post
I was there April/May 1960.What about the "Ships Stewards Handbook" by J.J.Traynor and E.C.Plumb.Anyone still got a copy.In charge was Capt.McKellar,we believed to be master of one of the Queens but others reckoned Sea Cadets.Ch/Of was Broadnbent(?)aka Beady Eyes.Deck officer I remember was Kemp.Catering was Haskins and Lawrence.If you came from Aberdeen you left on a Sunday instead of a Friday,complete with lemon curd sandwich and 2/6p to see you to Aberdeen.
Didn,t do us any harm as I am still at sea.

I was on the same course, I have photos
Old 21st September 2008, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike pen View Post
i was there end of dec-jan 1961 i have lost my class photo,it would be nice if someone had one of that time. mike .
i have now found my class photo,and can be seen on gravesend sea school, class photo 5, end of dec/60,to jan/21,1961,me front row,far right. mike pen
Old 23rd September 2008, 10:30

My location
Hi el_sclipto

My time was 29 May 1961 to 4 Aug 1961 (long time ago but feels like yesterday) So you arrived after me and left before as I was doing 10 weeks deck training. My first ship was a tanker running to the Gulf and we where singled up some time at the end of the year in Port Said waiting for the Chusan so you could still have been on her strange World.

She came rushing in like an old maiden aunt. after that she headed the convoy.

Regards Ron

Last edited by PollY Anna : 23rd September 2008 at 10:39.
Old 23rd September 2008, 10:48

dom

She came rushing in like an old maiden aunt. after that she headed the convoy
nice turn of words there,pity we dont have anymore old maiden aunts around/dom
Old 30th September 2008, 02:39

My location
Well Dom It was how I felt at the time we were all standing around waiting for P & O to get their act together she must have been running a bit late she just came flying in didn't even say sorry it was if she was looking down her nose at us all. We were just a bunch of old dirty Tankers and Tramps.
It is a shame it's all gone but I am so glad that I lived it, it was a great time in my life.
Regards Ron
Old 3rd October 2008, 13:32

I was there in May - July 75. Had some good laughs and met some really decent people.
Old 5th October 2008, 09:39

I got asked about the school recently and I wrote this.
May 10th 1954
The day I started Sea Training School for the Merchant Navy, I don't remember it because it was such a wonderful place but because it was a new direction. I was 16 years old and those gates looked rather forbidding, later I was told the place had been built as a prison, as time went on prisoners demanded better conditions, so we got the building.
First it was kitting out, uniforms and work clothes thrown at you by a grumpy ex navy man, one of those people whose face was twisted into a permanent snarl, he looked and acted like an unhappy man, all these years later I still remember him. Once equipped we were shown the sleeping quarters, a huge barn like structure, small rooms with a pair of bunks in each all around the outside, stairs leading to the next floor in the middle, just like prisons you have seen on the movies. One difference was the rooms (cells) had no doors, you could see at one time a very strong door had been fitted, perhaps removed for scrap during the war.
Very little detail remains with me, just scraps, made good friends that were never to be seen again, I remember we had to leave a warm bunk, go downstairs and into the exercise yard, then walk to the far end for showers and toilets. No wonder the prisoners complained.
Most of the instructors were ex Navy, a time of relative peace so the Royal Navy had no use for them, some were very good and had a lot to pass on, others were marking time.
Those going into catering were there six weeks, they did as you would expect do the catering, so food was cooked and placed in front of you at meal times, it was part of their training, although many thought the food was dreadful it was pretty good, perhaps the detractors were spoiled at home.
I was a deck trainee so a twelve week stay, ropes and rigging, flags and flares, masts and morse code, boats and barnacles, splicing and sheet bends, an endless list. I still remember rowing up and down the river in a navy cutter.
At the end of it all you packed up your kitbag and armed with a seamans ID and an appointment at the Pool (shipping office) you left with the world in front of you.

Left the training school on the Friday, had the weekend at home, come Monday I reported to the shipping pool.
Old 9th October 2008, 04:30

g,day
yup i served my time sept 84 - dec 84. marched at tower hill for remembrance day service & the welsh cook ( tutor ) dont remember his name took us all on the piss afterwood.
great fun. Specially recal Paddy Mcgoran the lifeboat tutor & Saul Newbury - seamanship.
Great times indeed.
Old 11th October 2008, 17:36
Active: 1980 - 1993

YO

Was there in 1981 catering.
Old 11th October 2008, 17:45
Active: 1980 - 1993

Yo again dammed computer jumped ahead. Welsh cook was called Mr Messer. Remember Mr Rashbrooke, Captain Plum, Level level ( mr little) in the Galley. There was a Polish guy taught practical cookery I think, can't remember his name. Mr (Get off my F$%^ing jetty) Mc Goran. loads of faces I remember but not names, like the ex Marine who used to do the PE and swimming, the safety and survival instructor who put you through fire fighting. Had great fun there just did'nt seem it at the time. Dorm raids, pillow fights,girls of dubious reputations at the top of Canal road. Yep great fun.
Old 19th October 2008, 21:53

I remember my time at Gravesend and it wasnt that bad. Must have been lucky and had a decent bunch on our course. I was there from june to september 1968 and finished the course as lead hand. I remember the times we had drinking in Chatham and the scrapes we got into with the locals because we had to wear those bloody awful uniforms.
When the course finished I had 2 days at home before returning to London to join my first ship mv aranda for a 10 month world cruise.
All I can say is that the college was a stepping stone to some great times ahead. Sorry to hear it is no more.
Ian
Old 27th October 2008, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc2009 View Post
I went to gravesend june to aug 1968 we used to go into town buy chip and make chip butts spreading the butter with our fingers. Used to sneak on the ferry to the pud with a mate call Dave Cave and I was the senior leading hand for red wing good days.
Sailed with a Dave Cave from Holyhead to Japan in mid 90's, he paid off there and I havent seen him since.
Old 27th October 2008, 15:51

Great to read all about the 'Peanut Factory' and so many mixed memories coming back. I was their 78/79 in Z class and the dorm raids and rowing to the pub on Sunday mornings and also band practice under the stage with Mr Torres on his Telecaster (me thinks). The dorm inspections where everything had to be spot on or else, oh what todays generation are missing. I too believe it is now a police thingy majig but some of the life boats etc are still in evidence. Can any one remember the name of the young lady who was the dental assistant? Remember doing the firefighting practical through the smoke filled room and nearly braking me leg when i fell over the sofer etc in the pitch black. I remember a Brodie on our course and I later sailed with his brother on a container ship.
Old 14th November 2008, 09:22

Summer 1977
Went down with school mate he lasted 2 days culture shock i think (Woose)
I loved the place Remember the dorm raids, our dorm was directly above the duty office we thought we were untouchable until our last night then everyone stormed us what a laugh.
The bromide didnt stop me I remember the local girls waiting at the end of that long road for us every night. Kirstin St*****n still remember her.Many a fumble with her on the banks of the Thames lovely girl. We had a tiff at the end of term peanut disco shame.
I used to love the canteen with the view of ships passing bye and that duke box. David bowie (Major Tom)
Shame its no longer same place I cant even find it on the google earth site.
Great times and lads

Last edited by K urgess : 14th November 2008 at 10:57. Reason: Surname removed
Old 14th November 2008, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbru View Post
Hi all, I was one of the local girls who befriended many peanuts between 1976-81. Contrary to local lads thinking we were all (Peanut scrubbers) and constantly subjecting us to verbal and physical abuse, very few of us slept around. Unlike the yobbish locals the peanuts treated us with respect and became our friends. Well most anyway. We had a blast. My mum and Dad took many peanuts into their home to clean them up after they had been in a fight with the locals or treat them to a sunday roast. I know Gravesend must have seemed doom and gloom and some of you were given a hard time but please don't tar us with the same brush.
Hi D,
Summer 1977
I have fond memories of you girls waiting at the end of the road for us
It got me threw the day knowing i would meet my girl Kirstin St*****n?
Think that was her surname
I had a great time with her. I even went to see her again after my first trip were we finally consumated our friendship. she was defo no scrubber.
I thought Gravesend was ok better than my hometown of Coatbridge Scotland.
Jim

Last edited by K urgess : 14th November 2008 at 10:57. Reason: Surname removed
Old 14th November 2008, 10:58

My location
Don't forget this is a public site, Jim.
Fully searchable from Google etc.
No names no packdrill, eh!
Cheers
Kris
Old 14th November 2008, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Sahib View Post
Don't forget this is a public site, Jim.
Fully searchable from Google etc.
No names no packdrill, eh!
Cheers
Kris
Sorry,
Not up to scratch yet,
No packdrill?
Jim
Old 14th November 2008, 11:48

My location
An old army saying, Jim.
Something my Dad and Grandad used to say.
There's an explanation here http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/257300.html
Cheers
Kris
Old 14th November 2008, 13:27

Ahh I see!
Ok Kris,
Cheers
Jim
Old 23rd November 2008, 05:30

Hi was there November 81 till march 82.
Big Jock intake that class,lots hassle got told if Capt found out about our antics he would kicked us all out.We were only class not to have senior leading hands because the bother,just caused chaos for class that took it over.Brill time really,one off lifes experiances.Think they get better treateed in prison nowadays lol
JOHN V11
Old 23rd November 2008, 14:18

My location
Smile

Hi, to all ex Peanuts,
I was at Gravesend in May/June 1963, I,m one of the many who thought it was an womens prison in years gone by, now evidently it was an old sailors home. Anyway my lasting memory is when i got the Captains (McKellar) stewards job. I picked up his meal from the galley with a plate cover over it and put it in his oven to keep hot. Then when i served him, removing the cover I discovered to my horror it was "salad". Nice crispy lettuce etc. Needless to say that was the end of my term as "Tiger". Still it was a good time of life for me and I went on to rise to the dizzy heights of Chief Steward and 23 years at sea.
Old 23rd November 2008, 20:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boseley View Post
I was on the same course, I have photos
You have mentiond Mr E Plumb of GSS I was fortunate enough to have his brother Frank as second stewerd on my first ship as stewards boy on the Highlland Chieftain (54) I did three trips with him on the chieftain and two trips with him on Ebro. when he was chief steward I dont think one could meet a nicer more polite and immaculate gentleman than Mr Plumb. I believe he was eventually chief steward on the Northern Star. He has been long retired now, my home being Gravesend I have often bumped into him in supermarket and round town. He is as sprightly and immaculate as ever. To mehe will always be Mr Plumb.
ALAN
Old 15th December 2008, 15:17

Hi all you ex Gravesenders,I was there Dec.56 Jan 57.We only did five weeks
providing you had your train fare home you could go home for Xmas.
I read the posting by Larry Crowley regarding the storekeeper as Larry was
there a couple of years before me I'm wondering if it was the same guy that
I encountered.I was in line tobe kitted out and the boys in front of me were
being allowed to try on their berets for size and in some cases their jackets'.
Quite a lot of happy banter going on with the storekeeper and the lads,I
thought what a nice man.I stepped forward gave in my name,without a word
of warning all my gear came flying over the half door.I was left to collect it
all together off the floor. I wandered what I'd done to upset this guy and the
boys that witnessed this change in the guy were also in awe. It was discussed later on amongst the boy's that were there the storekeeper was
a Mr.Phillips I dont know how we found this out but apparently he was
slashed down the right hand side of his face by a Scouser whilst he was at
the Vindi,he had the scar alright but how much truth was in the story I dont
know.Being from Liverpool myself thats why I got the treatment like all
scousers before me and most probably after me.