Manx Viking - Ships Nostalgia
09:23

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Manx Viking

Old 4th August 2004, 21:01

Manx Viking

A former Spanish ferry,she ran a service from I think,Heysham to Douglas in competition with the Steam Packet. This was taken in Glasgow around 1985 when she arrived for winter overhaul.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ManxViking.jpg (12.2 KB, 121 views)
Old 6th March 2005, 18:02

My location
At the end 2003 she result under Canadian flag as NINDAWAIMA.
Old 30th June 2007, 19:21

Manx Viking-ex Monte Castillo. Manx line started up in '78 and was a new Co' started by a coterie of business associates,including Geoff Duke,the former World Champion Motor Cyclist. It was a very interesting time and one of the highlights of my career at Sea. I was the first Chief Engineer and did the first run from Heysham,in Lancashire,to Douglas in the Isle of Man. The service was set up in opposition to the Oldest British Shipping Co-The Isle Of Man Steam Packet Co'. The Co' was amalgamated in due course with the IOMSPCo and I did the last run, to deliver the Manx Viking to her new owner's -DFDS,in Stavanger,in about '87(I think). I sailed with some great people and eventually with the SPCo',ended my Sea career in '91. great days and Shipmates.Martin Peat.
Old 3rd July 2007, 13:43

She has been reported in this months SM, ST&Y or SB that she has just been sold for scrap.
Old 3rd July 2007, 19:22

I am not surprised,the ship was a bit of a b-gger to run.We had to fit 2 new crankshafts in the port main engine due to a design defect. It was a full time job and everyone had to work hard to keep her running. I believe that the problems were so great tht DFDS were in financial difficulties because of her. I was told that their Managing Director had to resign because of the problems. However she holds some great memories for me, especially the people who I sailed with.Martin
Old 7th October 2007, 22:11

It was not DFDS that was in financial difficulties because of her, but Det Stavangerske Dampskibsselskab (DSD), of Stavanger, Norway. They bougth her in 1987 and renamed her SKUDENES. She was sold to Canada about one year later.
Old 19th September 2012, 12:11

http://www.skipsarkiv-rogaland.net/f...anx%201987.htm
Old 23rd September 2012, 14:06
Active: 1910 - 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Peat View Post
Manx Viking-ex Monte Castillo. Manx line started up in '78 and was a new Co' started by a coterie of business associates,including Geoff Duke,the former World Champion Motor Cyclist. It was a very interesting time and one of the highlights of my career at Sea. I was the first Chief Engineer and did the first run from Heysham,in Lancashire,to Douglas in the Isle of Man. The service was set up in opposition to the Oldest British Shipping Co-The Isle Of Man Steam Packet Co'. The Co' was amalgamated in due course with the IOMSPCo and I did the last run, to deliver the Manx Viking to her new owner's -DFDS,in Stavanger,in about '87(I think). I sailed with some great people and eventually with the SPCo',ended my Sea career in '91. great days and Shipmates.Martin Peat.
Great bit of info - thanks for that.

However, I think you will find the Isle Of Man is not in Britain and, as the Isle Of Man Steam Packet Company is registered in the Isle Of Man, the Steam Packet are not a British shipping company - and certainly not the oldest British shipping company. The Isle Of Man Steam Packet Company Ltd is the Oldest Continuously Operating Passenger Shipping Company in the World - having begun operations in 1830.
Old 23rd September 2012, 16:13

Oldest British Shipping Co. as Stephenson Clarke(est.1730-2012)