Trevaylor - Hain Nourse tramper - Ships Nostalgia
06:22

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Trevaylor - Hain Nourse tramper

Old 5th March 2006, 21:00
rennop

Trevaylor - Hain Nourse tramper

Hi all, Does anyone know of the last days of the Trevaylor?? I sailed in her as catering boy in 1965-66, three very interesting & different voyages,to Beaumont Texas (anyone remember "Hurricane Betsy"?)for grain to UK, then to Churchill in the Hudson Bay, Canada, we won the "Ice race " that year for the first vessel to make it through the pack ice around the Davis straits. how I wish I'd been into photography then the pictures I still have in my head of the 'bergs, whales, polarbears,will have to do,I suppose. The final trip was to China via Suez where we were set upon by a gang of painters who changed the funnel markings from black with a white H to blue with conjoined white HN this was when the company hains became Hains Nourse. I believe the nourse ships were named after asian rivers?. many tales to tell of those trips, will post again soon.
rennop
Old 6th March 2006, 03:33

Paul---
there is a picture and a short history on the Clydesite:

http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuil...ip.asp?id=4506

Bruce C.
Old 6th March 2006, 11:31
rennop

MV Trevaylor

Bruce ,Thanks Vmuch for the info Its a shame she had such and end to her life. I remembered some years ago that there was a print hung in the officers saloon of a Cornish country house named Trevaylor house. In 2000 my wife & I took our touring van down to Cornwall for a weeks holiday, everywhere we went I asked in tourist information & shops etc if anyone knew of the house, but no luck until the last day in a seconhand bookshop in Mousehole I asked the chap behind the counter (who looked like Capt Birdseye!!) if he'd heard of it & he said of course its on the moor between Penzance & St Ives!. He went on to say that the original Mr Hain had lived outside St Ives in a large house (now a hotel) with the prefix TRE and that all the TRE boats were named after Cornish Houses. We found the house which is now a nursing home and asked the manager if we could take some pics , after explaining why he agreed and said they had no idea that a ship had been named for the house. He also said that the house had belonged until the eighties to the Brooke family of Brooke Bond tea fame. Anyway I sent him a pic of the ship and we now visit Cornwall every spring taking 3 of grandchilren with us.
thanks again Bruce,
Paul
Old 6th March 2006, 16:47

Hi Paul

Trevaylor - She was my shortest period on any vessel, about 2 hours to be precise. Signed on in the morning and off in the afternoon (Sick) althought the signing off had to be dated the following day. Didn't even get out of the London Docks. That was in Sept 1968.

As to her history she was sold in 1973 to Gerontina Compania Naviera S A Greece (Mgrs: Hunter Shipping Co Ltd London) and r/n Evgenia 1.

On the 11 Sept 76 she grounded North of Jeddah in the Red Sea on passage from Houston USA to Hodeidah in the Yemen with General cargo. Although she was refloated she had to beached again due to severe bottom damage. All attempt at salvage were unsuccessfull and she was declared a total loss.

Regards

NigelC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trevaylor(4.1).jpg (25.5 KB, 240 views)
Old 3rd May 2006, 23:57
Banned

Thanks Bruce Carson for the photie of Trevaylor. Happy memories. had to dig out my Indentures to see when I served aboard her as Deck Apprentice. Joined her on 16apr62, 17 yrs old, forget where, (not recorded on the Indenture) remember being phoned up from St.Mary Axe, (after a 10 day leave from a 10 month voyage) by the Superintendent (very important) telling me that I was required to join her immediately "only for a quick trip down to Rosario and back for a cargo of grain". Got home back to me Mum 12 months later! What a laugh, did my 4 years "time" on three Hains vessels, Tremorvah/Trevaylor/Trebartha. Even as a lad I remember Trevaylor as being a better build by Barclay Curle. Better than the usual crappy Redheads jobs, 90 of 'em I believe for Hains over their time. Retired a few years ago, 40 years at sea, 25 of them in command. Good life, can't complain.
Old 4th May 2006, 07:33

My location
Paul,

You might find this link useful in terms of history of the Hain Nourse ship

http://www.botacquaintances.co.uk/Hain_history.html

Regards
Tonga
Old 15th August 2007, 14:39

Joined Trevaylor in London 17-Dec-1971 to April 28-1972.
Paid off in Dundee.
Regards Artie
Old 15th August 2007, 17:17
rennop

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaskew View Post
Joined Trevaylor in London 17-Dec-1971 to April 28-1972.
Paid off in Dundee.
Regards Artie
Hi Artie, long time since a post on the Trevaylor, Just before I joined her I was in the 'Pool in Posterngate, Hull as a daft 16 year old cat boy I asked for a trip "somewhere warm" Anyway they gave me the name Trevaylor & said it would be the Gulf of Mexico, I said great when do I sign on? they then gave me a travel warrant & 17/6d expenses & told me to make my way to Bremerhaven where she was discharging!! I wonder how many 16 year olds these dayswould make that trip on their own - Hull to Kings X train Kings X Liverpool st to Harwich, ferry to Hoek van Holland - train to Bremen tram/train to Bremerhaven 2 days absolutely knackered! & skint spent my exes by Harwich, worth it though she was a great ship, palled up with some of the middys & one (Stewart Gillogley)recently got back in touch with me after 42 years!!, cheers Artie
Rennop
Old 18th August 2007, 16:51

Hi Rennop
Like me i was on the Pool in Posterngate.My home Town.(I'm still here) when I left Gravesend Seaschool I had to report there in my uniform.All the lads
took the micky out of me.Still I joined my first ship in Hull,I was away 9 months.There would,nt be many 16 years old do the journey you did.I bet
you was releived when you got to the ship.Glad you enjoyed the trip.She
was a good ship though.Its great to hear from you old pal after all those
years.
Cheers Artie
Old 19th August 2007, 07:08
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 2002

All,
Paul,a nice little journey, a test of initiative and resource.
I too had a joining experience with Hain's, I had to get to the Trelyon in Avonmouth at the rush for an evening sailing.
I was at Paddington and it was clear from the train times I would not make it, however there was a"Pullman" which would get me to Bristol in time, however it would cost an extra half Guinea, I 'phoned Hain's and spoke to one of the Marine Superintendents (Captain Madden?)who told me to take the Pullman and sod the expense!
I duly made the sailing, talk about the life of Reilly!
On a query, does anyone recall a Captain Antonovich (?) in Hains, I believe he changed his name on becoming naturalised, does anyone recall?
Yours aye,
Slick
Old 20th August 2008, 10:20

The Millionaires Club, Shanghai

We were there, you and I. In the cultural revolution. I have a photo to prove it, standing at the bar, glasses raised. I will dig it out and post it on here. Best Wishes after all these years. Andrew Rogers
Old 17th January 2009, 05:39

hi Paul

hi Paul i was on the trevaylor 26-2-80 til 10-12-60, 10 month trip, i was an EDH, the only one from liverpool, nice ship, bastard to steer, single berth accom, for ab,s had a room to my self, wow, went threw the panama canal 4 times that voyage, great food, dont no why they where called hungry hains, and i had been with blue funnel line first, she had better accom, than them , even aircon hahaha, we done new zealand, then to jamacia, to the east coast of america, down to cuba, up to japan, across to vancouver, then paid off in immingham, with a load of timber, and a list to port, 10 months, later, home for xmas, but managed to get a ship out, before, i hated the cold weather, so went back to blue,s and off to java, indonesia, for 3 months,
Old 11th September 2009, 19:18
Organisation: Port Authorities
Active: 1958 - 1996

Slick,

I think Antonovitch changed his name to Lennox came toi the UK to join the Free Polish Navy

Treboats
Old 12th September 2009, 02:56

I joined the Trevaylor in Smiths dock in the summer of 1963 as a second trip deck boy.My previous ship had been the BP tanker British Trust.Good accommodation good food and agood crew,Iwas in for a steep learning curve.We worked from 7am untill 8pm fitting shifting boxes in to the 5 hatches to enable us to load grain at our fisrt port of call which was Baton Rouge up the Mississippi river<which we never saw as we were still down the hatches finishing of the feeder boxes as we had been since lteaving the UK.Thats when the trouble started,the iced water bottles that were put on board for the yank dockers started to dissapear.We left that port and procded down to the Panama canal across tne Pacific to Yokahama Japan from then on every thing went balls to the wall ie bullying ,fights you name it happened on that trip I was never so missrable in my life.We loaded phosphate at a small island called Makatia part of the Sociaty Island chain.Then the long drag back to Japan,this trip we done three times so we considerd Japan was our home port,which we realy looked forward to.Then it was 1000 yen to the pound,10 bottles of Kirin beer to the pound.Places that I remember going to Yokahama, Tokio,Kobe,Niigata,Hokkiado,Murraran,Toyhama then accross the Pacific to load timber in British Columbia for Surrry Commercial London.we paid off in May 1964 nearly 10 month.Crew remembered Capn Eric Stewart C/O Marchant
Old 12th September 2009, 03:13

Other deck crew remembered.John Morgan AB ,Jimmy Patterson AB,Jimmy Nailen AB,Harry Beddows EDH,Davy Carruthers EDH,John Hammerburg EDH,Hoss Finkle OS Graham ? DHU Peter ?OS Brian Waller,Derek Francis,Clive Winthrop deck boys bosn was Tommy O Halleron full Geordie crowd one hell of a trip
Old 22nd November 2009, 19:10

hi Paul.joined trevaylor in avonmouth june 1965,paid off bremen june 1966.Loaded casablanca (phosphates)-tsamkong china.loaded japan-fiji-makatea (phosphates)-broke down into papeete (tahiti)for repairs-japan.japan-new caledonia-japan.back down to new caledonia,back to japan.loaded Bangkok for bremen.paid off there.Hungry Hains was about right.Lost 2 stone but had a great time.cheers gripper
Old 2nd December 2009, 19:11

Hi Paul Just A Small Note That Might Interest You All Hains Norse Ships Were Named After Cornish Mansions Or Big Houses.i Sailed On The Trewidden 1968 To 1969 A Good Ship.hope This Is Helpful To You.alec X Ab
Old 1st January 2010, 21:50

Sailed on the Trevaylor 1970 left London Key West for orders U.S.A., South Africa ,Hong Kong ,Japan Hong Kong, South Africa then home to Boro 9 months later. Very educational, Mess man fined 1 months pay first two weeks onboard in Durban coal berth.
Old 18th February 2010, 20:14

Just been reading through the above. I served with hains from1953 to 1964 and remember some of the captains - Gravell, Price, Joslin, Pratt, LLoyd, Watkins, Annett, Dodson and Whittaker. Some I got on with, some I didn't, but thats another story.
I was on the Trelyon laid up in Malpas in early 63. One of the group was up for sale and when the inventory was made there was a lot more of gear on board that shouldn't have been!!!!
They were mostly good times and I have some very good memories.
Old 19th February 2010, 08:08
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Active: 1958 - 2002

All,
Captain Annett - there's a name to conjure with!.

Yours aye,

slick
Old 19th February 2010, 08:08
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioncomike View Post
Just been reading through the above. I served with hains from1953 to 1964 and remember some of the captains - Gravell, Price, Joslin, Pratt, LLoyd, Watkins, Annett, Dodson and Whittaker. Some I got on with, some I didn't, but thats another story.
I was on the Trelyon laid up in Malpas in early 63. One of the group was up for sale and when the inventory was made there was a lot more of gear on board that shouldn't have been!!!!
They were mostly good times and I have some very good memories.
Mike, you must have sailed on the Trelissick from or to Barry in September '62, I was firt trip J/E when she sailed.

=Bill Woodham=

Last edited by Billieboy : 19th February 2010 at 08:10. Reason: additional info.
Old 23rd February 2010, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieboy View Post
Mike, you must have sailed on the Trelissick from or to Barry in September '62, I was firt trip J/E when she sailed.

=Bill Woodham=
Sorry Billieboy, fraid the trelissick was never honoured with my presence.
Old 23rd February 2010, 19:48
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioncomike View Post
Sorry Billieboy, fraid the trelissick was never honoured with my presence.
Never mind Mike, you missed a terrible voyage!
Old 8th March 2010, 01:33

tre boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleccrichton1982 View Post
Hi Paul Just A Small Note That Might Interest You All Hains Norse Ships Were Named After Cornish Mansions Or Big Houses.i Sailed On The Trewidden 1968 To 1969 A Good Ship.hope This Is Helpful To You.alec X Ab
I sailed on the Trevose in 1953,went through the Suez up to Panang and then to Shanghai and back to Panang and the back to the UK through the Suez-Paddy
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper (nick moxham) View Post
hi Paul.joined trevaylor in avonmouth june 1965,paid off bremen june 1966.Loaded casablanca (phosphates)-tsamkong china.loaded japan-fiji-makatea (phosphates)-broke down into papeete (tahiti)for repairs-japan.japan-new caledonia-japan.back down to new caledonia,back to japan.loaded Bangkok for bremen.paid off there.Hungry Hains was about right.Lost 2 stone but had a great time.cheers gripper
Nick check your dates joined 64 payed off rotterdam flew home we got ataxi to paddington there to bristol