Port Quebec - Ships Nostalgia
11:12

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Port Quebec

Old 7th March 2006, 14:01

Port Quebec

Interested to see if I can find a photo of The Port Quebec anywhere, have visited company sites but unable to find anything. I was on her for most of 1967 and understand she was scrapped in 1968. Previously a mine layer known as HMS Deersound. Any crew from 1967 please post details for contact.
Shaun Rennison. Hull.
Old 8th March 2006, 12:16

Port Quebec.

Shaun -

Herewith a photo of "Port Quebec" - it's from the VintagePort website (association of ex-Port Line employees). Quite a nice photo of her going into Sydney in pre-Opera House days!!

-----------
Mike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P.Quebec.jpg (59.3 KB, 330 views)
Old 8th March 2006, 14:42

EMMESSTEE,
many thanks for that, just as I remember her.
Old 8th March 2006, 15:47

Shaun,
Didn't realise she went onto 1967/68 As I was on her in 1959 first trip to sea. She was under charter to Brocklebank's. I must be honest India was not the first place I would have liked to have visted. My future vists to NZ with NZSC & Federal were more pleasent!!
Old 9th March 2006, 00:36

Shaun, the Port Quebec a great little ship I was on her in the early fifties when she was on the MANZ run Canada-America -Australia - New Zealand. I have fond memories of my time on her and other Port Line ships. was going to send a photo but you have already got it.also I have a different photo of her but can't find it at the moment, when I do I shall post it. jim.

Last edited by jim : 9th March 2006 at 00:39.
Old 9th March 2006, 10:31

Port Quebec

Thanks Jim I will look forard to receiving new picture. I joined the Port Quebec in Port of Spain Trinidad in January 67 and was on her for just over 11 months as galley boy. Cannot remember the bosun's name but he was fairly old (bearing in mind I was only a lad of 16/17) and had been on board for some years. There was also an exceptional lamp-trimmer and chippy but again names escape me. Chef was a guy called Jim Sale who I understand married a Kiwi girl and stayed over there. There was a steward called Jim Fahey from east london and Phil Drayton who I beleive was from Romford but not sure. There was a gay steward (though we did'nt call them gay in those days!) called Jan who was the captains tiger. Anyone out there who recognises any of the names or has other contacts I would be please to hear.
Shaun from Hull.
Old 9th March 2006, 12:53

Port Quebec.

Shaun -

Here's the same photo as previously, except in colour and with words strewn across it!!

-----------
Mike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PortQuebec2.jpg (30.4 KB, 223 views)
Old 18th November 2006, 16:35
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - Present

My location
Hi Shaun
Joined Port Quebec same time as yourself, as AB. have some photographs of ship and crew I stayed on her till she whent to the breakers the following year most definatly a ship to remmember with happy times, cant remember to many names but Lamptrimmer was called Ned who whent on to be Bosun the following trip but was paid off in NZ.
Old 19th November 2006, 20:46

Hi Rodney, I remember Ned well, cannot remember the name of the bosun who I recall had skin like leather ! There was the "Queen" called Jan who was the captains tiger, Jim Crickmay steward, Chef was Jim Sale who also paid off in NZ and was getting married there. Another steward who came from Dartford whose name excapes me but he was a really tall blond guy. I was galley boy there were two other boys both geordies, Ginger and Frank Barker we all shared a 3 berth next to Jans cabin. Baker was a jock who was always the worse for wear!! She was a happy ship I recall, do you remember the drink we used to make in the steering gear compartment from raw rum ? called it moloshun or some such thing, regular parties in NZ weher we took buckets of the stuff.
Please post copies of photos on site or send message for personal email contact. Many thanks for your posting.
Shaun.
Old 19th November 2006, 20:56
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1985

My location
there's a different view of her at:

http://www.red-duster.co.uk/PORT6.htm

regards
Old 20th November 2006, 20:14
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - Present

My location
Hi Shaun, good to here from you, I remember Jim Crickmay well, we met up with a family in Galverston who took us about when we were there.Who could forget moloshun and better still how did we survive it, to say it was rocket fuel is a understatement. By all means contact me by Email, address on my details. Havent quite got to grips with how to do things regarding posting photos on to site, have a scanner so I guess I should be able to scan direct to the site. Once again good to here from you Rod
Old 21st November 2006, 19:04

My location
I have a log kept by Capt. Andy McClounan, who was master of PORT QUEBEC voyages 14 & !5 from Oct.1954 to Sept.1955. Lists all ports visited and names some of crew but not all. Is this of any interest to anyone.
Hugh Ferguson.
Old 6th December 2006, 16:27

Hi shaun
port quebec was my first ship from leaving the national sea training school (sharpness), joined prt quebec may 1966 at victoria docks till 4/1/1967 paid off in trinadad,, best days of my life or is thet nostalga

gerald distill...............gerald@distill.co.uk
Old 9th December 2006, 18:19

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney willett View Post
Hi Shaun
Joined Port Quebec same time as yourself, as AB. have some photographs of ship and crew I stayed on her till she whent to the breakers the following year most definatly a ship to remmember with happy times, cant remember to many names but Lamptrimmer was called Ned who whent on to be Bosun the following trip but was paid off in NZ.

I suspect that Ned was Ned Cronin, from somewhere near Edinburgh, I sailed on La Quinta with him and he used to tell tales about the Quebec, I also sailed on Pacific Northwest with a lad called Gwynne Margetson from Ipswich who was on the Quebec at the same time, he might have been a JOS.
Old 21st September 2007, 17:01

Even further back!

Hi there all.

Just a quick line to say that my late father served on Port Quebec during WWII. I think he was based on the East coast of GB laying/sweepeing mines!

Regards Son of an old salt
Old 21st September 2007, 18:40

My location
Shaun, I've just posted (in GALLERY, under cargo vessels) yet anothe shot of the PORT QUEBEC. Andy McLounan was in her for two voyages from 12th Oct.1954 to 12th Oct.1955. He lists the "staff" as he calls them as:-
A.W. Kensett c/o; E.R Jenkins 2/o; J.B.Farmer 3/o; A.R.Palliner, Junr, 3rd/o;
A.Taylor C/eng.; R.Elder C.Steward/Purser.
Old 23rd September 2007, 13:34

My location
Voyage 38 of the PORT AUCKLAND was Andy Macs final voyage after a sea-going career spent entirely in Port Line service.
Voy.38 commenced from London at 2017, 1st Sept.1967 and went via Las Palmas & Durban, arriving Adelaide, 2nd Oct. at 1329; Sydney, 15th; Brisbane 22nd; Wellington, 30th; New Plymouth, 8th Nov.;Timaru, 22nd.; Wellington, 30th.; Balboa, 25th Dec.; Curacao,28th.; London, 2016, 8th Jan.1968.
Staff:- R.M. Henshaw C/O; P.M. Muirhead 2/o; A.D.Pique 3/o; T.H.Oliver, Junior 3/o; I.F. Ainsworth C/Eng.; R.A.Elder C.Steward/Purser.
Doctors, W.M.Brown & R.J.Stewart.
8th Sept.Rendered medical assistance to the PAPAROA.
Amongst outward passengers were Lady Mary Cawthorne & Sir George Graham. Homeward, Captain D.F.Morgan and Nesta, his wife.
Other notable events were, Christmas party at Wellington for John Cook's farewell: Robbie (Auckland died) and Russ Turnbull died, 24th Nov. at 2300-funeral 27th Nov. at 1030 (Age 66).

P.S. Sorry! I've had to correct this. I got confused with which Port Line ship was which. This particular voyage did not relate to the PORT QUEBEC but to the PORT AUCKLAND.

Sea miles during his (Mac's) career, 2,171,409.

Last edited by Hugh Ferguson : 23rd September 2007 at 16:13.
Old 15th October 2007, 19:23

Hi Shaun and Rodney

I expect you remember me John Gallop. I was on the Port Quebec from the 3.01.67 when we joined the ship in Trinidad and I left it in Formosa on the 23.06.68 and we flew home. I expect you remember me Rodney. I was with you on the beach when I met a girl called Jill, she came from Christchurch. Would like to hear from you again. My e mail address is in my profile

John
Old 15th November 2007, 13:12

H.M.S. Port Quebec.

Hello, I am researching the history of H.M.S. Quebec which was later named H.M.S. Deer Sound for a friend who was serving as an senior airframe fitter if I have that right. His is Donald Mowett who was on this ship during the second world war. Can anyone help with any information or a list of crew members to see if Don can remember anybody or any photos please?. Many thanks, John.
Old 16th November 2007, 22:09

Hi Shaun,

go into google and type in "the british merchant navy" easy site to navigate.

There is an excellent photo of "Port Quebec" entering or leaving somewhere I am not familiar with.

Cheers Nolan Loveridge
Old 18th December 2007, 21:10

Hi there, my late father was on HMS Port Quebec for around three years during WWII. His name was Wilfred Buller and at the time I think he was either a Leading Seaman or maybe even a PO.
Old 29th January 2008, 12:13

Port quebec History

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATHBURY View Post
Hello, I am researching the history of H.M.S. Quebec which was later named H.M.S. Deer Sound for a friend who was serving as an senior airframe fitter if I have that right. His is Donald Mowett who was on this ship during the second world war. Can anyone help with any information or a list of crew members to see if Don can remember anybody or any photos please?. Many thanks, John.
John , Hope this might be of some help. The MV Port Quebec was built by J.L. Thompson. Sunderland in 1939. 6294 GRT. Was taken over by the Royal Navy and fitted out as a Minelayer. Converted 1943/44 as an Aircraft Component Repair Ship and renamed HMS Deersound with the British Pacific Fleet. [Fleet Train] Paid Off January 1947. Converted back to a Cargo ship and renamed Port Quebec. She was broken up in Taiwan in 1968. I have a rather poor quality copy of a photo of her in sydney in 1945. I also have the name and 1999 address of the Carpenter who was on her in 1944/46. but don't want to publish it here
.. The Port Quebec and the Port Napier were part of a flotilla of converted merchant ships laying Minefields in the North Atlantic in the 40s-Regards Jim.
Old 29th February 2008, 00:21

Port Quebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun View Post
Interested to see if I can find a photo of The Port Quebec anywhere, have visited company sites but unable to find anything. I was on her for most of 1967 and understand she was scrapped in 1968. Previously a mine layer known as HMS Deersound. Any crew from 1967 please post details for contact.
Shaun Rennison. Hull.
I was 3rd engineer on her from 1964 to 1967sailed as a supernumery to NZ from Trinidad and paid off there .Jim Mcmanus was skipper and Mike Kay chief eng.Was a great ship to sail on.
Russ Noble
Old 21st April 2008, 15:54

I was on the Port St Lawrence when we sailed from Melbourne to Port Chalmers arriving early Xmas day 1967 - only to find the Port Quebec on fire !! we had to dash over and assist in putting out the engine room fire !! afterwards, all the crew from the Quebec came over for their dinner. Mike Kay was the chief Eng. Ikky Nikky was the hateful 2nd engineer, and I believe 2 or 3 engineers " jumped ship" on that voyage, and a third Eng from The Port St Lawrence Aiden Hickesy) was " Hired to Re build a couple of "jennies"
Hope this Helps jog Memories

Short707
Old 28th May 2008, 15:18

Deer Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATHBURY View Post
John

My father-in-law, Reg Young, was an airframe fitter on Deer Sound in WW11. He was in the Fleet Air Arm with the Pacific Fleet. We came across an Internet picture of Deer Sound (Deersound?) Reg says that many of the men, himself included, had a copy of that photo - I think it was taken in Sydney Harbour. If you do not have a copy yet, I can try to find it again.

Annie