Ships Nostalgia banner

Tanker 'DORA'

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  exsailor 
#1 ·
Do any members have any info about this tanker from the mid '70s?
She was operated by the Israeli directors of IFR Services, London (the British arm of Maritime Fruit Carriers, Haifa) under somewhat of a cloud of secrecy. I worked in IFR's office at the time, but little was mentioned of her. She traded in and out of Eilat, Israel. If my foggy memory is correct, I think she was owned by Abyrouth Shipping Co. Joe Thwaite, ex Esso, was Master for a time.
Cheers for any help given.

#2 · (Edited)
Any idea as to when she was built? I have details of one that was built in 1970 is 1650dwt and is now Greek owned. Don't know if this is your ship?

#3 ·
Coastie said:
Any idea as to when she was built? I have details of one that was built in 1970 is 1650dwt and is now Greek owned. Don't know if this is your ship?
No idea when and where she was built, but almost certain she was getting on in years (in 1974) and was larger. British flagged at time. Dubious goings on with her - intermediary would buy Arab oil in the Gulf, 'Dora' would load and sail, and oil would be on-sold and off-loaded in Eilat. Vessel and crew members never got a mention in Company magazine. Rumour had it that there were 'connections' in very high places - interestingly she did a trip to Canada with fuel for the Canadian Defence Dept.
Politics a bit like when I was on reefers. Load Israeli citrus in plain cartons, call at Antwerp for 24 hours and convert it to Belgian grown citrus (!!), and discharge in Baltic Russian ports.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.