Lloydsman - Ships Nostalgia
03:20

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Lloydsman

Old 9th August 2004, 21:23

Lloydsman

She was an ocean going tug owned by United Towing of Hull and was in the mid 1970s a principal player in the dangerous Icelandic "Cod War".There were some really nasty moments recorded on film and shown on TV.
This was taken at Greenock on one of her breaks from these duties.I think she was actually based there for some time but could be wrong.She did come in a few times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lloydsman.jpg (21.7 KB, 467 views)

Last edited by Fairfield : 9th August 2004 at 21:27.
Old 11th August 2004, 15:14

LLOYDSMAN was sold to Selco Salvage Limited of Singapore during 1979 and renamed SALVISCOUNT. Sold for scrapping in Pakistan March 1988. I got a shot of her in the West India Docks in London taken in 1979 prior to her sale, I'll dig it out and post it later.
Old 11th August 2004, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S
LLOYDSMAN was sold to Selco Salvage Limited of Singapore during 1979 and renamed SALVISCOUNT. Sold for scrapping in Pakistan March 1988. I got a shot of her in the West India Docks in London taken in 1979 prior to her sale, I'll dig it out and post it later.
Look forward to that,Bob.Thanks.Like the other shots posted.
Old 15th August 2004, 17:57

I sure I've got a photo from 1979 but this is the only shot I can find at the moment. Taken, also in the West India Docks in London, during 1971 on what was, I believe, a promotional tour when she was new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lloydsman.jpg (79.5 KB, 383 views)
Old 16th August 2004, 07:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S
I sure I've got a photo from 1979 but this is the only shot I can find at the moment. Taken, also in the West India Docks in London, during 1971 on what was, I believe, a promotional tour when she was new.

Thanks Bob,interesting shot and she looks very smart.Pity she had to be used in such a manner during the Icelandic disputes.
Old 1st November 2004, 20:17

Tin cans

I sailed on the LLoydsman in 1976 (I think). It was a great time. The bosun made a wonderful model of the tug out of tin cans. I have a photo somewhere. Maybe I'll post it when I find it.

I found it at long last. It's been a few months, but I think the result is worthwile.

Wonder where that bosun is now. Sadly I cannot remember his name.
Here is a picture of his wonderful creation then.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petes_w...sman_model.jpg

Last edited by P_sparks : 1st March 2005 at 14:01. Reason: Add photo
Old 1st November 2004, 21:51

That would be something.Hope you find it!
Old 13th March 2005, 15:32

The bosun was called Ernie (glue it)Baker.He made quite a few models of various tugs he sailed on,all out of tin cans he salvaged from the galley gash bin.He used the ships plans to get the details/dimentions spot on,then he would put the model in a tank of water and ballast it down to the correct drought,by putting sand in the ballast tanks before sealing them up.I sailed with Ernie many a time.Ialso sailed on the "Lloydsman's" last voyage before being sold to Selco,a sad day.
Old 14th March 2005, 06:17

My location
What a truly magnificent model made by an extremely resourceful chap!
Old 16th March 2005, 10:06

Just seen this.Absolutely marvellous.To come from old cans is just out of this world.True craftsman.
Old 21st March 2005, 16:05

Lloydsman last voyage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALTY
cut .... .Ialso sailed on the "Lloydsman's" last voyage before being sold to Selco,a sad day.
Was that when everyone was paid off in Hull?
Old 18th September 2005, 15:56

lloydsman what a great tug norman story was captian for a long time he did a lot of salvage work with her and he was skipper of her when she was on duty in iceland.
also captian garry morrise was skipper of her for some time. norman wrote a book about his time on duyt in icelandic waters what a great book to read unfortunatally both of them have passed on now what a great loss to the towing world
sam
Old 18th September 2005, 16:09

arther whitley was cheif engineer he was then put in the office as marine super still on the go but he is retired i still see him at his carivan near to were i live CAPTIN DENNIS PEACE is very ill and imobilised he is so big and weigh about 35 stone i go and see him
now and again CAPTIAN TONY OAKLEY is still on the go with his own salvage company
oakley marine salvage ltd
sam
Old 10th October 2005, 15:41

Smile

Jack Linford was the skipper when I sailed on her. Norman Storey - the name rings a bell. I think he was working hard in the office at Hull somewhere. We also had a navigator chappie for the ocean going trips.
Old 10th October 2005, 18:53
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Ahoy,

Found in the "old shoebox" some of her;don't know from whom.

http://img424.imageshack.us/img424/4...ard19qh.th.jpg

http://img424.imageshack.us/img424/2...sman4iz.th.jpg

http://img424.imageshack.us/img424/8...mana5yg.th.jpg

http://img424.imageshack.us/img424/4...yds19pu.th.jpg
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 11th October 2005, 08:21

Does anyone remember an engineer by the name of Farrell and a skipper by the name of Alan Stockwell.

I used to sail with father of Farrell and knew Alan as an AB in Alexandra Towing before he saw the light and went onto better things.

There was another lad from ATC who went over to UTC but I just can't think of his name. He was skipper of the Salvageman for a while.

Cheers,
Old 11th October 2005, 19:50

yes i knew CAPT ALEN STOCKWELL VERY WELL WHEN HE WAS SKIPPER OF THE BIG L
HE WAS ON HER IN THE FALKLANDS AND HE WAS AT THE SIGNING OF THE SERANDER OF THE FALKLANDS HE HAD TO SIT ON THE ROUND TABLE WITH ALL THE BIG WIZZ KIDS TO WITNESS IT. WHAT HAPPENED TO ALEN AFTER HE LEFT THE COMPANY I DO NOT KNOW. THAT IS RIGHT CAPT NOTNAM STORY WAS PUT IN YHE OFFICE AS HEAD TOWING MSATER. CAPTIN JACK LINFORD WAS CAPTIAN OF THE BIG L HE WAS NORMANS BACK OT BACK.JACK THEN WENT TO SOUTH AFRICA WITH SOME MORE TUG SKIPPERS AND TOOK OVER THE JOHN ROSS AND SISTER TUG.SIX MOUNTHS ON SIX OFF. DANNY BETTS IS A HULL SKIPPER EX UTC HE IS ON HER NOW AFTER DOING THE LONGEST SEA TOW OF THE FSPO BONGA SAM
Old 11th October 2005, 19:52

Hello Again I Think That Skipper You Are Thinking Was John Bold
Sam
Old 12th October 2005, 00:09

Sam,

Cheers mate, it is good that folk remember characters like these.

I too was tempted early on in my career to go to UTC but stayed put with ATC. If I had read the crystal ball right at the time I would have made a fortune by placing a bet on UTC and ATC becoming part of Adsteam.

Yep you are quite right, it was John Bold, do you know where he has ended up.

Cheers,
Old 12th October 2005, 19:35

hi george
i think john bold and alen were taken on by the company who took over the big L.
it was a spanish company salled her espamiolia i think thay thay then went on to salvageman then and then on to klynes towing
sam
Old 13th October 2005, 20:09

sorry about that thay went on to the salvageman i think thay were the only two that could handle her until thay trained up some other skippers that are on her now and thay are making a good job of her now she as done some good work for klynes now hope thay done get rid of her for some time
sam
Old 23rd February 2006, 14:52

Lloydsman

I was very interested to hear you guys talking about the 'Lloydsman' I was on her from new in Leith (Robb Caledons yard 1971) with the likes of Terry Gay, Norman Storey, Alan Keeping, Danny Betts, Ernie Cundall, Arthur Whitely, Keith Tasker, Jack Slide (cook) and many many more of the Hull tugmen for United Towing, happy days!. Ernie (gluit) was the very guy who made the models from old tins etc. Not the most academic chap in the world as he was the first to admit but boy was he good with his hands. There was some very good tugmen from those days in the likes of Freddie Fletcher, Charlie Noble, Jackie Linford etc. sad to hear that Len Rood passed away recently (all ex UTC men of old will remember him as 'Pongo' I am presently on a rig being towed from Singapore to Mexico by the 'Wolraad Woltemade' (3 month tow) best regards Ray Jordan
Old 23rd February 2006, 15:26
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJordandpo
I was very interested to hear you guys talking about the 'Lloydsman' I was on her from new in Leith (Robb Caledons yard 1971) with the likes of Terry Gay, Norman Storey, Alan Keeping, Danny Betts, Ernie Cundall, Arthur Whitely, Keith Tasker, Jack Slide (cook) and many many more of the Hull tugmen for United Towing, happy days!. Ernie (gluit) was the very guy who made the models from old tins etc. Not the most academic chap in the world as he was the first to admit but boy was he good with his hands. There was some very good tugmen from those days in the likes of Freddie Fletcher, Charlie Noble, Jackie Linford etc. sad to hear that Len Rood passed away recently (all ex UTC men of old will remember him as 'Pongo' I am presently on a rig being towed from Singapore to Mexico by the 'Wolraad Woltemade' (3 month tow) best regards Ray Jordan
Ray
Knew Terry Gay very well before he passed away. Weve just been towed the other way Gulf of Mexico to Equatorial Guinea by Husky and Retriever
Old 23rd February 2006, 15:34
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Welcome Ray to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer from a cold and snowy south of England.
Old 24th February 2006, 00:18
Bilge Rat
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
welcom aboard ray, from hot sweaty philippines mate ... LOL happy ship here, enjoy all on offer as we do mate.