Port Huon - Ships Nostalgia
10:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Port Huon

Old 12th March 2006, 12:49

Port Huon

Port HUON (2) was built in 1965 by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. at Dundee with a tonnage of 6081grt, a length of 489ft 4in, a beam of 67ft 10in and a service speed of 16 knots. On completion in March 1965 she immediately came under the ownership of the Cunard Steam Ship Co and was the first of three sisters. In January 1968 ownership reverted to Port Line in readiness for the transfer to Blueport. In 1972 all three ships were sold to the Societe Gestion Evge S.A. for $5,000,000 and the Port Huon was renamed Julietta for operation by Afromar Inc. of Piraeus. She was sold to Egyptian Reefer & General Cargo Shipping Co. S.A.S. of Egypt in 1984 and renamed Amana. Although still in service in 1990 it appears that she is no longer operating any Merchant seaman that was on this ship 1966 1967 1968 plz thank you. any one that was on that ship in 1965 0r 1966 say around those years help me in my research on crew now?? love to hear from you my email address is ************

NT][/size]

Last edited by flyer682 : 13th March 2006 at 07:02.
Old 12th March 2006, 12:58

My location
Unfortunately i don 't give help for the crew,but i put in my gallery her as AMANA ,perhaps a good remind for you.
Ciao
Gp
Old 12th March 2006, 15:28
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Ahoy,

Here a piccie of the Port Huan:

http://www.mattmar.com.au/Port_Line_...0403190065.jpg
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 13th March 2006, 07:05

My location
Pat, could you please refrain from putting your email address in posts. Whilst done with the best intentions, it may also mean you get some unwelcome mail.
Members are able to contact you via PM (Private Message).
Old 13th March 2006, 07:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer682
Pat, could you please refrain from putting your email address in posts. Whilst done with the best intentions, it may also mean you get some unwelcome mail.
Members are able to contact you via PM (Private Message).
sorry I didnt mean to affend you by my email as I always used it in any sights like the site merchant seaman british so I was not trying to do the wrong thing bye for now Pat
Old 19th April 2006, 08:18

Smile Port Huon

Hi Pat,
I suppose that like you I am trying to trace the "final dispositions"
In my case I would like to "sign off" Duncan Haws book.
I have checked out the Port Line website and for the ALBANY, BURNIE and HUON, it states that they "appear to be no longer operating"...this entry is dated the '90s!!
Do you or any of the shipmates know where they are in 2006.
I checked world register.com and there is no trace.
Fantastic that 'Melbourne' & 'Sydney' arre still going strong 50 years later.
I used to see them in Sydney in the 1950's and 1960,s.Good lookers, and never a scratch on that dove grey paint.
Regards,
David D.
Sunshine Coast, Queensland Australia.
Old 31st May 2006, 02:26

My location
Port Huon

Hi Pat,
I sailed on Port Huon Sept 67 to May 68.
FYI Port Albany was broken up at Alang in 1992, Port Burnie was broken up at Alang 1993 and Port Huon was broken up at Alang in 1994
Old 31st May 2006, 07:51

My location
Port Huon, Albany & Burnie

Hi Pat & Dave

Attached is brief history of above vessels
Old 1st June 2006, 05:08

My location
Port Huon Albany & Burnie

Hi Dave,

Second attempt
Old 1st June 2006, 09:12

My location
And still doesn't work..........
Old 23rd July 2007, 17:39

Port Huon

I did 2 trips on the 'Huon' as senior apprentice. Flew to New York, via Shannon and Gander (my first flight and in a Britannia too!!) on 07.01.67.,to join her. Did 2 MANZ runs to Australia, paying off in NY again on 28.09.67 and flying home to study for 2nd Mates. Without a doubt my happiest voyages deep sea with a really good 'party' crowd on board. So good, the shore phone used to ring as I carried it up the gangway on arrival at each port, because we had been spotted in the 'Arrivals' column in the local paper.
Regretably I did not keep a log on my voyages so the only names I rememebr from that trip are Ian Lister (C/0), Martin Elliston (C/E), David Besant (2/Elec) and Albert..........(D/App). The latter was a Geordie and great fun, but blowed if I can remember his surname. Port Line was a great company to 'learn the ropes' with, but I left them in 1968 after Blue Star took over the management and joined T&J Harrison, on the 'Statesman' to get my time in the my Mates ticket after an abortive 3 months with a ferry company 'Sealord Shipping Co' operating from Gt Yarmouth to Amsterdam, but they didn't survive. My last years at sea were on an old Sealord vessel, renamed the Bravo Contender, sailing Immingham, Amsterdam and Oslo, owned and ooperated by Blandford Shipping, the UK arm of Fred. Olsen. Ah...the nostalgia of it all although some of the latter voyages on the ferries were real 'cork in a bath' trips. Glad I never suffered from sea sickness and on a number of occasions had to unload chipboard, originally shipped on 20' flats, by JCB !! I attach a photo of the Huon and my attempt to capture her on canvas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg (5a) Port Huon.jpg (81.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Huon Pic.jpg (94.8 KB, 84 views)
Old 24th July 2007, 20:55

Hi Guys,

You should try to get hold of a copy of the book PORT LINE by H.Spong published by WSS. Excellent photos & text - even has a copy of the menu they served to Queen Mary & Princess Margaret when they visited PORT BRISBANE at London in 1949. I think they still have some copies to sell.

Tony.
Old 29th January 2008, 17:34

I too sailed on Port Albany'69-'70 on the Manz run and had a great time.
Such a young crowd,Master was the oldest at 32!!The rest of us much younger.
The comment by Pat_azz that these 3 ships had a service speed of 16kts is wrong.They use to do 20/21kts so that they initially could do 3 round voyages to Tasmania for the apples/fruit...thats what they where built for apparently.
Good memories,Mike Lewis Williams
Old 26th February 2008, 14:48
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1971 - 1981

My location
Heard a tale in Blue Star that the Port Burnie was UK bound and passed the America (?) Star southbound near the Azores. VHF discussion between the two mates revealed that the Burnie had experienced some really heavy weather prior to the Azores. As the ships got closer the mate on the America Star noticed 'something' sticking through the Burnie's hull adjacent to the No1 hold. It turned out to be the bucket of a caterpillar bulldozer. The vehicle had broken loose in the weather and had been making a good job of destroying everything in the hold and eventually punched its way through the ships hull.
Anyone know if this is true? Anybody on that trip?
Old 21st April 2008, 11:55

Port Burnie Query

The story about a piece of machinery sticking out of the hold of the Port Burnie and spotted by another ship near the azores is untrue. The ship involved was the Port Huon,on which I was 5th Engineer. We left Liverpool on Jan 4th 1966 and were carrying tractors and engineering equipment to NZ. The seas were mountainous. We were forced to pull into the Azores to drop off a steward who had a serious stomach problem. When we were about to leave port, the Tugs noticed a hole in the side of the ship by number 2 hold, just above the water line. We stayed in Port for a while to allow repairs to take place.
The hol;d was a complete write of as were all the tractors and other pieces of cargo- one thing is certain, if the steward had not taken ill, we would never have reached Curaceo or Panama.

I hope this info puts to bed the original story re the Port Burnie

Dave Short
Old 21st April 2008, 12:21

This black and white pic of Port Huon was taken by Jim Freeman at Sydney. The neg resides with me, Russell Priest. The same image can be seen in Ian Farquhar's book on Port Line , The Tyser Legacy, on page 179 with the correct acknowledgment.
Old 21st April 2008, 16:18

I sailed on the Port Huon in 1965 and 1966. The Chief Eng was Tommy Johnson,The captain was Cloke, the Mate David Orr, Peter Dewar, and a 4th mate called McDonald. Second engineers were Bob Morgan ( Maiden voyage)Mike Kay, Bob Benson and Chris Guy The Engineers were Alf Green, Dave Guisig, Alan Burn , Mike Smith,Two Eng Cadets were Peter Lavan, and Bob Swinbourne, later Linsway Johnson and Tony Hines. Chief Freezer was Archie McGlaughlin Chief Elec was Bill gair and Dave Howarth. 2/Elec hope this info helps Dave Short
Old 16th July 2008, 12:20

The references to the damage to Port Huon being noticed from another vessel, even the tug on intended departure are strange. Surely those on board responsible for such a cargo in such bad weather would have inspected the holds to determine the condition of the cargo & the vessel. Even if access to the holds was too dangerous to attempt while at sea, one would have thought that on reaching the shelter of a port in the Azores a full inspection would have been made, protest would have been noted & the P&I surveyors would have attended at that time rather than after an aborted attempt of departure.
Old 25th July 2008, 18:46

short707
Dave I will vouch for your information re-Port Huon maiden voyage,
through from all the messages shown it would appear that we aboard the ship had no information of our position or danger but we did!!!! When she went over she stayed there and then the cargo would slip over and crash into the bulk head. Slow very slow she managed to pull herself back and everyone on-board was willing her back to a more upright inclination, the noise and vibration caused by the movement of the cargo three road grader's created pure fear,with this going on for a long time and of course the storm showing nature will do as it wants. It was a godsend when the the load went out through the bulkhead and into the sea.

Last edited by how933 : 26th July 2008 at 11:21. Reason: how do you get a picture on site
Old 6th September 2008, 16:34

My location
how933
To get a picture on the site you have to post it into the gallery or attach it to a post such as this.
To attach to a post you must "Go Advanced" or use the "Post Reply" green button.
Anything you attach to a post must be the right size or it will be rejected.
Just look for "manage attachments" below the typing window once you're in the advanced window.
Posts to the gallery can be resized by the software but it's usually quicker to have it no more than 900 pixels wide or 800 pixels high before you try and upload it.
Cheers
Kris
Old 6th October 2008, 10:03

Alan Burn

Does anyone remember Alan ( The Black Prince!!) Burn ?

He sailed with Port line in the 1960s on the Port Fairy. Port Huon and the Port Albany. he came from Byker near Newcastle.
Shorty
Old 18th April 2010, 10:12

Port Huon and the shift in Cargo.
Port Huon second Voyage 1965 mid November Homeward- bound from Fremantle to the UK, an incident that sticks in my mind..
We made a call into the Port of Al’Aqabah, Jordan.
On leaving Al’Aqabah, Jordan, coming out of the Gulf of Aqubah of the coast of Sharm ash Shaykh rounding Ra’s Muhammad into Gulf of Suez, all hands were called to muster stations at 0200hrs to help in one of the holds, our job along side of the ABs and Stewards, Mates and Engineers were to stack munitions which had obviously collapsed from their timber frames, these Munitions were at least 100-120mm Thick and 500-600mm long weighing around 20-30kilos, Not knowing much about ammunitions they looked to me like giant 303s. I can only presume that when we changed course the frames which the Munitions where stacked on collapsed , and there where hundreds of them all over the place, it was my understanding that they had been loaded in Al’Aqabah and we spent hours placing them on top of each other in a uniform fashion.
The Captain was D.G. Cloke, 1st Officer was W.F. Orr. Initials could be wrong as they are very blurred in my Discharge Book, but the surnames are right., I was a main greaser on the ship.
( Boxer )Allan was the Storekeeper and Mick White was another Greaser both from South Sheilds, I think I can remember the engineer whose watch that I was on, Dave Short mentions an Engineer by the name of Alf Green this could be the Watch engineer that I kept watch with on the 4-8 and he was a third Engineer black curly slightly receding Australian late twenties early thirties.
I can also remember a red head AB by the name Wally Walton he was a cockney ex RN all these guys where on the ship at the same time and would have been involved in this incident, I have often asked the question was this live ammunition and why would we be picking up from Jordan and bringing it into the UK.
What would have happened if the ship went up, not that it would have helped us much, or was the munitions defused.

My discharge book mentions : Port Huon. Liverpool. Offl No 306501.nett Tonage 4685.05
B.H.P.13000.Joined 9th July 1965 Victoria Dock sailed HT ( Home Trade ) to Rotterdam, re-signed articles for foreign going 22nd July 1965 discharged Liverpool 20th November 1965.

This was Port Huon 2nd Voyage.

Regards Anthony.
Old 12th May 2010, 18:52

Huon

[quote=Pat_auzz;44636]Port HUON (2) was built in 1965 by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. at Dundee with a tonnage of 6081grt, a length of 489ft 4in, a beam of 67ft 10in and a service speed of 16 knots. On completion in March 1965 she immediately came under the ownership of the Cunard Steam Ship Co and was the first of three sisters. In January 1968 ownership reverted to Port Line in readiness for the transfer to Blueport. In 1972 all three ships were sold to the Societe Gestion Evge S.A. for $5,000,000 and the Port Huon was renamed Julietta for operation by Afromar Inc. of Piraeus. She was sold to Egyptian Reefer & General Cargo Shipping Co. S.A.S. of Egypt in 1984 and renamed Amana. Although still in service in 1990 it appears that she is no longer operating any Merchant seaman that was on this ship 1966 1967 1968 plz thank you. any one that was on that ship in 1965 0r 1966 say around those years help me in my research on crew now?? love to hear from you my email address is ************

Last edited by Paul Sibellas : 12th May 2010 at 19:08.
Old 12th May 2010, 19:07

I sailed on the Port Huon as orinary seaman.We sailed from Liverpool in April 1966 and went to Tasmania to load fruit and bring it back to Liverpool, where we tied up July 1966.It went faster than 16 knots then,being built to do 2 fruit runs to Tasmania/Australia in one fruit season,i'm sure it done 21 knots,very fast for a caro ship.We overtook all other ships.The only crew i can remember is a deck boy called Ralf & an able seaman called Tommy.