Entering Newhaven - WOW & WOOPS - Ships Nostalgia
16:51

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Entering Newhaven - WOW & WOOPS

Old 20th March 2006, 12:40

Entering Newhaven - WOW & WOOPS

Two photographs taken years apart, in interesting weather situations, and what the consequences can be. The ferry " Dieppe " should be this side of East Pier Newhaven. I am certain someone will name the Sealink ferry approaching Newhaven and the year the photo was taken - in one, I fear I cannot.
Mac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg entering Newhaven.jpg (47.7 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg Woops.jpg (54.4 KB, 150 views)
Old 20th March 2006, 19:01

Hi,

I can name that vessel in two?

Either Villandry or Valencay.

No prizes there then

All the best
NT
Old 20th March 2006, 23:54

Ah that was in the days that they'd go out [and in, obviously!] in any weather. That all stopped the day they nearly lost the Chartres. Newhaven museum has a lovely sequence of a 'V' going vertical on her way out - even worse than this one. I'll ask Peter [or Peter] if I can post some of them, Macjack - unless you get there first!

Yes, Dieppe has a habit of doing this wrong side of the pier thing - amongst other incidents. She's just not right for Newhaven, IMHO. My father [Master Mariner and former Meeching skipper] and I wrote to the local paper about it it the time, but were 'flamed' for our efforts. She's too long, has too much draught and freeboard, and not enough power or manoueverabilty, plus they never bought out enough of the marina to let her swing in the harbour.

Thankfully CDA and Seven Sisters can do so, and are shallower draughted and a darned sight more up to date in all respects. And we're dredged more often, so the groundings should cease.

Don't think any Newhaven ship will put out in weather like that 'V', though! Been there [Cally Princess and Falaise], done that [several times] and don't want to do it again!

Andy G

Last edited by meechingman : 20th March 2006 at 23:57.