British Glory - Ships Nostalgia
02:33

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

British Glory

Old 2nd April 2006, 20:24
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck

My location
British Glory

Anyone out there have a photo of the British Glory or can tell me where I can obtain one, or anyone of you guys been crew on her, supposed to be on a 18 month trip but always breaking down, in the 1960s sometime, Mac
Old 3rd April 2006, 13:25
gadgee gadgee is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Department: Navigation
Active: 1966 - 1979

Here she is courtesy of JohnF in the SN gallery:-

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...cat/all/page/1

Old 3rd April 2006, 16:23
Department: Deck

My location
Much obliged for promt reply, a big thanks, now I understand why you are called Supers, all the best Mac
Old 6th April 2006, 10:37

British Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makari
Anyone out there have a photo of the British Glory or can tell me where I can obtain one, or anyone of you guys been crew on her, supposed to be on a 18 month trip but always breaking down, in the 1960s sometime, Mac
Kia ora Makari, I was on the Glory May - July 1961...I remember we did 1 trip to Aden, I think we also went to Kwinana? But not too sure on that after all these years. I don't remember the ship breaking down but I did join her in Falmouth and also paid off there?? I do remember -the crew got a bad dose of food poisoning - twice - it was put down to contaminated fresh/frozen salmon...the funny thing was...I had two helpings each time and I wasn't one of the afflicted! Other than that I seem to remember a happy ship...carried a couple of useless DHU's but that was par for the course...came along for the ride and we carried them. Vix
Old 14th December 2007, 02:57

I was a deckboy on the Glory, in about, June 64. Great crew, mostly drunken taff's, if my memory is correct. Good days.
Old 17th December 2007, 17:34
Department: Engineering

My location
My first trip as Acting Junior Engineer in 1968. Joined in Hamburg, round the Cape to Bandar Mashur, bunker run to Kharg Island and backloaded for (I can't remember where)! Thence to the Tyne tank cleaning berth (who remembers Minnie Beck's) before Smith's Dock from where I was transferred to another vessel. I developed a hatred of soot-blowing thanks to the Glory. My first taste of Indian crews. I have an excellent aerial photo of the Glory which I got via the National Maritime Museum website.
Old 7th March 2008, 21:05

You are absolutely correct. August to October 1968. Hamburg, Robben Island for mail, Bandar Mashur for Kharg Island taking bunker fuel, back loaded crude at Kharg for Belfast with mail Robben Island, boiler repairs Musgrave Channel berth then round to Howden for tank clean. Anyone interested, I have a photo of her in Table Bay. I was second mate at the time.
Old 7th March 2008, 22:34

My location
Hi,

There is a different photo in The Allen Collection - http://www.benjidog.co.uk - follow the menu to BP Tankers.

Regards,

Brian