Captain Ken Hardie - Ships Nostalgia
16:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Captain Ken Hardie

Old 3rd April 2006, 23:28

Captain Ken Hardie

Does anyone remember him ? A toff of a man !!
Old 18th September 2006, 15:44

K Hardie

Hi

Ken Hardie was my husband uncle. A very kind man and a gentleman.

Unfortunately he passed away in 1996, if I recall correctly just prior to his 81 birthday.

We now live in the house that he built and have an attic full of Ben Line Memrobila.

Regards

Shireen Fernie
Old 18th September 2006, 15:47
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

A warm welcome Shireen to the site, plenty of ex Ben line sailors on this site, perhaps you have some photos to show us from your memorabilia.
Old 18th September 2006, 20:21

My location
EBenarty,what ships was Ken Hardie on.is that you finished with your cruising for this year.
Wully.
Old 18th September 2006, 21:50

Did six trips with Ken Hardie on Bencruachan and Benalder (container ship). He was a real gentleman who treated his crews well and got their respect in return. Believe he was a harbour pilot in Singapore for a while and that would probably explain why he was such a good ship handler.
Old 24th September 2006, 19:26

Hi Wully,
Just home for the night !! The final 3 cruises start the morn !! Finish 14 th October, then dry dock for a few weeks !!! I should finish in November until February, it has been a long season !!
Aye Ken Hardie ~ I sailed with him fom 1966 to 1968 on the Bennevis and on the Cruachan from 1968 to 1970. He was a real gentleman.
Send my regards to all in Scrabster !!
Billy
Old 7th November 2007, 23:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernie View Post
Hi

Ken Hardie was my husband uncle. A very kind man and a gentleman.

Unfortunately he passed away in 1996, if I recall correctly just prior to his 81 birthday.

We now live in the house that he built and have an attic full of Ben Line Memrobila.

Regards

Shireen Fernie
Sorry I have only found this recentlly. He was a great captain and pilot, I served with him on the Bennevis and Bencruachan 1966- 1970. He was an exeptional Captain, As he was a pilot out in Singapore for along time, I remember him in the Rejang River one late evening requestioning a pilot to sail as we had completed loading - The answer was NO -you cannot sail at night, but he did with the pilot flaber ghasted on the bridge as we only had a war time radar on board and an old Armour Brown gyro. I have many more stories about him. Great man.
Regards Billy
Old 8th November 2007, 11:43

Billy.
I never sailed with Ken Hardie but through the grapevine I heard of his abilities as ship master and also his qualities as a human being that made him so popular among his crews.
By the way what is the crack about a cruise ship,You,re not the guy that goes in and out of Invergordon on those big cruise boats Lol!!!!!
Or thinking the other way would you be aboard a certain little cruise ship with
Neil McKee.