Training Ship Wellesley - Ships Nostalgia
00:39

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Training Ship Wellesley

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 4th April 2006, 18:10
Jeff Egan Jeff Egan is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 0
Training Ship Wellesley

Launched as HMS Boscawen at Woolwich in 1844 she was one of the last 74 gun "Ships of the Line" known as the "Wooden Walls of England" to be built. She was paid out of commission in 1860 only 16 years after her launch and was eventually sailed to the Tyne and renamed the Wellesley. She spent the rest of her days as a training ship moored in the Tyne.
Many thought the trainees asigned to her were juvenile delinquents but this was not the case, in the most part the souls that were sent to the Wellesley were orphans, destitute and homeless boys from all over England. They were trained in all aspects of seamanship and would often be seen practising cutlass fighting on deck. The ship had it's own band and many boys went on to serve in naval bands after their four year stint on Wellesley. Their day started at 0530hrs with turn out and ended at 2055hrs with prayers, thier day was full and hard, but the strick regime meant Wellesley boys were ideally suited to a life on the ocean waves. Wellesley came to a sad end when on a spring day in 1914 she was burnt to a hulk despite all efforts to save her, she had spent over 30 years training some of the finest seamen of their day.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 4th April 2006, 18:37
wa002f0328's Avatar
wa002f0328 wa002f0328 is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 844
Hi Jeff,
Very interesting post, was there not a Wellesley school at Blyth as well? is there any conection, I am interested because I went to the Royal Merchant Navy School at Bearwood during the war, I think the Wellesley was royal Navy, Please keep me right, I think the one in Blyth was for naughty boys, I may be wrong. Rgds Bill Atkins
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 4th April 2006, 18:54
Jeff Egan Jeff Egan is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 0
I'm not certain who ran the Wellesley, but they must have had close connections with the RN, the boys wore Naval Uniforms they were trained in combat with cutlass and schooled in music with some going on to Naval bands. It was a misconception that the boys were criminals, from what I can find out, first and foremost they were homeless orphans but I expect they were forced into petty crime to survive. I have many cuttings with pictures but they are for the most part poor quality. Not sure about the school in Blyth Bill maybe they had a shore base.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 4th April 2006, 21:56
wa002f0328's Avatar
wa002f0328 wa002f0328 is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 844
Hi Jeff,
There was a base in Blyth I think it was on the main road into the Holy City, am nearly sure it was R.N. before you pass the import dock, it was on the left handside, they flew the white ensign on the mast, we are going to Blyth this weekend and if I can get to the Library I will try and find out,
Rgds Bill Atkins
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 5th April 2006, 19:12
spartan spartan is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
My location
Posts: 214
The following info is taken from the Wellesley Nautical School Website.
Following the fire of the ship Wellesley the establishment was moved to Tynemouth Plaza till 1918 when money was raised to purchase the World War 1 submarine base at Blyth.It was an approved school where the emphasis was on sea training both for Royal and Merchant.However they did wear Royal Navy uniforms.In 1973 due it came under the Sunderland County Council Department and as such the emphasis changed to become "General Education based" It was renamed Wellesley Community Home.
I remember seeing the lads marching from the school to church on a Sunday accompanied by bugles and drums.
Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 6th April 2006, 10:36
jim barnes's Avatar
jim barnes jim barnes is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
My location
Posts: 3,104
The School sounds very simular to the T. S. Indefatigable that was based in Anglesey after being moved from the Mersey because of German air raids WW2
__________________
Be nice to me and you can drive my boat when i win the Lottery
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 6th April 2006, 12:28
Jeff Egan Jeff Egan is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 0
Maybe they had them all around the country Jim, sounds as if they were a good idea in days gone by.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 6th April 2006, 18:22
wa002f0328's Avatar
wa002f0328 wa002f0328 is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 844
Evening Jeff,
That is a useful bit of information from Spartan, I live only 500 yds from Tynemouth Plaza, ( which was the victim of a mysterious fire a few years ago) I had no idea that there was any connection with Wellesly, and even less idea that Sunderland council of the time were involved, It just go,s to show how times have changed, I.E. Tyne & Wear we are reverting back too where the boundry,s were, Northumberland & Durham, get the charts out.
Cheers Bill Atkins
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 6th April 2006, 18:32
Jeff Egan Jeff Egan is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 0
Bill it looks as if there were many of these training ships around the country at one time I suppose it helped to keep the homeless off the streets as well as giving them three square meals and a good training in seamanship. Seems to me it was a good idea at that time.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 6th April 2006, 19:47
wa002f0328's Avatar
wa002f0328 wa002f0328 is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 844
Hi Jeff
It would probably been around the era, that the foyboatmen rowed down to Flambourgh head for work, they must have been hard times for the people, nothing has changed, I am going to get a jab in the morning for the Bird Flu, can you believe it? must go now have got to phone BLAIR to see which surgery I have to attend, rgds Bill Atkins
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 7th April 2006, 11:36
Jeff Egan Jeff Egan is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 0
Pilots with their sons as crew used to sail cobles down as far as Flambourgh and Whitby to "seek" ships Bill, the eldest son would go onboard the ship with his father while the others were left onboard the coble to sail home. As you say hard days, ships of wood, men of steel.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 7th April 2006, 17:26
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1945 - 1996
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 84
H.M.S.Wellesley

During the latter part of world war 2, in January 1945,a seaman gunner course at H.M.S.Wellesley in Liverpool. It was a shore establishment formally the Liverpool Southern Hospital, situated in the Dingle area.
Regards to all
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 7th April 2006, 17:32
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1945 - 1996
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 84
oops! I forgot to say that I attended that particular course.
Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 7th April 2006, 17:55
Jeff Egan Jeff Egan is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 0
I didn't realise the name Wellesley was also associated with Liverpool, Dingle brings back memories of my days at Riversdale in Liverpool, a very run down area I think by the 1960s. Our bus from the city centre used to run through Dingle.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2nd July 2009, 19:51
vic.clarke vic.clarke is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa002f0328 View Post
Hi Jeff,
Very interesting post, was there not a Wellesley school at Blyth as well? is there any conection, I am interested because I went to the Royal Merchant Navy School at Bearwood during the war, I think the Wellesley was royal Navy, Please keep me right, I think the one in Blyth was for naughty boys, I may be wrong. Rgds Bill Atkins
Your right Bill. I was there from 1959-1961. It was run on RN lines with all us lads in no.8's and no. 1's, The place did us all proud. There were some boys in for petty crimes, some went there from care homes. Lots of boys who passed through the gates did well. There are Lords, published poets, they had books published, Royal Navy. The list is endless.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 18th July 2012, 16:49
David Holt David Holt is offline  
Member
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1964
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4
Vic,
Did you get my last post?

I was at Wellesley in Hawkins house.
I was ther for 15 months from 1962 to 1964.
I was in the Band as a Drummer and Bugler.
I was also in the PE Display team.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 22nd July 2012, 13:35
NOEL MUTCH NOEL MUTCH is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Green View Post
During the latter part of world war 2, in January 1945,a seaman gunner course at H.M.S.Wellesley in Liverpool. It was a shore establishment formally the Liverpool Southern Hospital, situated in the Dingle area.
Regards to all
I WAS GOING TO RESPOND IN SIMILAR WAY. I WAS AT WELLESLY IN JUNE/JULY 1944 HAVING CHOSEN D.E.M.S AT GLENDOWER SIMPLY BECAUSE IT GAVE 8 WEEKS IN LIVERPOOL, MY HOME BEING ONLY 7 MILES OR SO AWAY. HOWEVER HAVING BEEN ALLOCATED TO A SHIP "SAMGAUDIE", MANAGED BY BROCKLEBANKS, MY FIRST AND ONLY VOYAGE LASTED ALMOST TWO YEARS, SO IT MAY NOT HAVE SUCH A GOOD IDEA AFTER ALL.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 31st July 2012, 12:37
ken williamson ken williamson is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holt View Post
Vic,
Did you get my last post?

I was at Wellesley in Hawkins house.
I was ther for 15 months from 1962 to 1964.
I was in the Band as a Drummer and Bugler.
I was also in the PE Display team.
i was at Wellesley in Boscawen from 1961 to late 1962, then joined "mv Corbrea",the first of many ships in my 25 yrs at sea.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 21st November 2012, 19:52
bluedog bluedog is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - 1962
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
i was at wns 1953 till 1955 as i remember wee were all nautey boys but were taught a better way of life good times
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 21st November 2012, 20:21
joebuckham's Avatar
member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1955 - 1999
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Egan View Post
Launched as HMS Boscawen at Woolwich in 1844 she was one of the last 74 gun "Ships of the Line" known as the "Wooden Walls of England" to be built. She was paid out of commission in 1860 only 16 years after her launch and was eventually sailed to the Tyne and renamed the Wellesley. She spent the rest of her days as a training ship moored in the Tyne.
Many thought the trainees asigned to her were juvenile delinquents but this was not the case, in the most part the souls that were sent to the Wellesley were orphans, destitute and homeless boys from all over England. They were trained in all aspects of seamanship and would often be seen practising cutlass fighting on deck. The ship had it's own band and many boys went on to serve in naval bands after their four year stint on Wellesley. Their day started at 0530hrs with turn out and ended at 2055hrs with prayers, thier day was full and hard, but the strick regime meant Wellesley boys were ideally suited to a life on the ocean waves. Wellesley came to a sad end when on a spring day in 1914 she was burnt to a hulk despite all efforts to save her, she had spent over 30 years training some of the finest seamen of their day.
the site below gives a good insight into the number of ships and the scale of the operation.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/trainingships/#Arethusa
__________________
lifes a reach, and then you gybe
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 21st November 2012, 21:51
cueball44 cueball44 is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog View Post
i was at wns 1953 till 1955 as i remember wee were all nautey boys but were taught a better way of life good times
And if you didn't watch your step, you could end up in Rampton Mental Hospital for several years.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help looking for the- decca engineer ship photo don Ship Research 12 4th May 2011 19:24
Royal Caribbean Orders Largest Ship newda898 Modern Cruise Ships 15 24th May 2009 19:15
Cruise Ship Order Book fred henderson Modern Cruise Ships 6 7th August 2006 13:28
QM2 in Long Beach today. Burntisland Cunard 24 5th June 2006 20:19
Training ship Dolphin - help thunderd Ship Research 0 26th May 2005 01:22



Search the net with ask.com
Support SN
Ask.com and get


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.