New Portsmouth Bilbao Ferry Service - Ships Nostalgia
22:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

New Portsmouth Bilbao Ferry Service

Old 11th April 2006, 12:56
Super Moderator

New Portsmouth Bilbao Ferry Service

A new ferry service is to come to Portsmouth to take on P&O after a major deal was struck with a Spanish firm.

Acciona Trasmeditterranea has a signed a contract with city council chiefs to run from Portsmouth to Bilbao from the ferry port.

The service will be in direct competiton with the existing P&O service to the Spanish port.

Acciona's combined freight and passenger ferry, called Fortuny, will take 1,000 passengers compared to 2,500 on the P&O vessel, but is a more modern ship.

The service will run from May 16th going across twice a week off-peak and three times a week during the high season.

P&O is locked into the Bilbao route until 2008, but after that it will have to decide whether to continue. P&O, which has been taken over by DP World, insisted it welcomed the competition and believed the introduction of another operator would allow the market to grow.

So once we have had our SN trip on Pride of Bilbao in September, perhaps we can try another ship?!. David

Last edited by Pompeyfan : 11th April 2006 at 12:59.
Old 11th April 2006, 15:51
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
Talking

Afternoon, that sounds interesting. I travel to Spain a lot via Britanny ferries, in fact heading down on Pont Aven in June. If the new service is cheaper it would be just great. What sort of tonnage is this new ship?
Hawkey01
Old 11th April 2006, 15:54

Look at the following link - looks a nice ship.

http://www.faktaomfartyg.com/fortuny_2001.htm
Old 11th April 2006, 17:19
Super Moderator

Thanks for the David. She is smaller than Pride of Bilbao, but looks nice. I will go on her all being well, so can compare the two both price wise and the ship itself. I have considered going on Pont Aven Hawkey01, so would be interested to know what she is like when you go on her in June. I wanted to go on her when she did the St Malo route for a while, but never got round to it. Hopefully, the Bilbao route will become cheaper with competition. David
Old 11th April 2006, 17:23
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
Thank you David, now lets hope they are more competitively priced than
Brit: ferries or P&O.
Hawkey01
Old 29th July 2007, 18:56

My location
Video of P&O Pride of Bilbao entering Portsmouth Harbour: