Do you remember the following crew members? - Ships Nostalgia
11:22

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Do you remember the following crew members?

Old 12th April 2006, 20:39

Do you remember the following crew members?

Hi again...

I've been talking to my mum about some of the great friends that my dad (Gareth Roberts) made whilst sailing with BP, and the following names came up -

Chris Wadsworth - Radio Operator
Norman Stitt - Chief Steward
Jimmy Kinsella - Engineer
Sewyn Cundy - (Not sure what dept)
Phil Barber - Navigation Officer

There was also Alan Rous, Engineer, who we know has unfortunately passed away.

If anyone has any info on these good men, then please pass on some details, if you wish to.

Thanks,

Rushie
Old 12th April 2006, 20:41

That should be Selwyn Cundy...apologies..!

A character. Used to live in Splot in Cardiff....but he insisted it was posh and pronounced it "Splo"...!

Rushie
Old 13th April 2006, 19:24

My location
Hi Rushie,
I'm sure Jimmy Kinsella was 2/E on the Power in late 64 - early 65 when I was a first trip n/app. I remember him as a friendly, cheerful bloke, very much a "steam ship" man I think. Good bunch of Mates and Engineers on that ship, I was very lucky for my first trip. Mind you I never had a really bad trip with BP.
Regards,
Richard.
PS Didn't you say in another post that you lived in Devon? If so you're not far from me then as I live in Exeter.
Old 13th April 2006, 20:05

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply.

I live just outside Newton Abbot and so it's just down the road from your good self.

Jimmy Kinsella was apparently reknowned as a good, likeable bloke...typical BP...he loved it! I think I may still be able to gain his contact details from my mum....hope so!

If you're able to meet up sometime, then that'd be great. I don't know if you've seen any of my previous entries on the site, but I'm trying to get together as many stories of sea with BP as possible, for perhaps a book. Your contributions would be welcome. I'll send you my contact Nos on a private mail, and so if you wish to get in touch, then it'd be great to hera from you.

Cheers,

Rushie.
Old 14th April 2006, 11:31

My location
Hi Rushie - sailed with Chris Wadsworth in '82 on the Tamar and I seem to remember Selwyn but not sure when/ what ship.
Old 14th April 2006, 22:35

Thanks mate...

Chris was notorious with the locals at our regular pub in Old Colwyn ( Colwyn Bay) when he visited us, as he'd demolish around 15 pints of ale before the locals had choked on half a mild..!!

Nowt wrong with that..!

R
Old 17th April 2006, 13:22

My location
Absolutely!!!! That's the same Chris I knew!!

Jon
Old 17th April 2006, 19:39

Spoke to Chris the night before last....he hasn't changed....!!!
Old 21st April 2006, 16:43

My location
. . . just remembered I've sailed with Jimmy Kinsella too - I just can't remember when or where . . . !!!!
Old 21st April 2006, 18:19

kinsella

I've sailed with Chief engineer Jimmy Kinsella. A very nice gentleman. great to get along with. Regards
Old 23rd April 2006, 09:43

Rushie
I have now collated the WWII awards given to BP shipping personnel, it is 19 pages long and some 395 KBs, if you would give me your e-mail address I will send it direct to you.
Tony Maskell wam002@ozemail.com.au
Old 17th May 2006, 05:09
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

Rushie,

I know 3 of the guys you are looking for, Norman stitt, Selwyn Cundy and Jimmy Kinsella
Norman stitt was a long serving Chief steward. Selwyn Cundy was a 1963 Engineering Apprentice and I think sailed with your father on the Shoush as 2/E. Jimmy Kinsella was a 1952 Eng Apprentice and stayed with BP all his career ,retiring in 2000. Two other guys will remember your dad, Paul Spires and Joe Pyne both long term C/E's. I'll see if I can round them all up.

BTW.... for any other ex BP out there I have been making a database of ex BP seagoing personnel since 2000, primarily for ex Engineering apprentices , but now all depts. To Date the list is at 430 , about 300 ex E/A's the balance of 130, all other the rest.

Graham Wallace
Old 17th May 2006, 07:54

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your help.

I've spoken to Norman, he's doing well and is giving me some assistance in the epic task of getting memories together.!

Anyone reading this...you're welcome to assist, even if they are just "one liners" of your seafaring times.

Cheers,

Rushie.
Old 26th November 2006, 17:33

Rushie,

Selwyn Cundy, (aka The Smoking Mole) was our Chief on the Sulair, 1985-6. I left her in '86 when BP left us but Selwyn stayed with the ship. Afraid I've had no contact since then. Great guy really fitted well on a ship like the Sulair.

Best Wishes,

Geoff.
Old 29th November 2006, 10:31

Cheers Geoff.!
Old 29th November 2006, 12:05

My location
Jimmy Kinsella

I sailed with him as well, don't know where or on what, but must have been 1980, 81 or 82.

Graham, hows your list going, been a while since i looked but i think i'm on it.

Cheers,

Nick
Old 3rd December 2006, 23:13

My location
are you sure its phil barber and not gil barber,gil was the ol man on the tweed early 70s and was on the british esk during the falklands
Old 6th December 2006, 13:28

My location
Hi Rushie.

just read your input dated 12/o4/o6
had misfortune to sail on two occasions with Norman Stitt, retiered now one cane only hope,
of all the years of happy crews & sailing with BP those two occasions were the only blackspots that stand out from a wonderfull period.
trust you dad had beter times or was of a higher rank. Tillo
Old 15th February 2007, 12:16

My location
WillHastie,
I sailed with Gil Barber, don't know what ship though, lost my Discharge Book. may have sailed with you as well??

Nick
Old 16th February 2007, 19:38
Kevan Weetman

If I remember correctly, Gill Barber used to clench his teeth round his pipe and laugh like the Penguin from Batman - was a gent. MV British Esk South Atlantic.
Old 17th February 2007, 08:24

The one I was after was definitely Phil Barber...and amazingly I discovered he lives 8 miles down the road and we've met up..!

Rushie.
Old 2nd March 2007, 19:10

I sailed with Selwyn Cundy ginger hair, pipe, 2/E.

Memories of him during a lloyds inspection when firing the boiler up to full pressure standing behind the inspector constantly shouting "she's going to blow"

Can't remember what ship but would be late 70's early 80's.

I was a R/O
Old 11th May 2008, 03:32
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1978

My location
Hi,I recall a Kinsella,sure he was 2nd or cheif eng on the British Promise in the 70s,he came from Magull near Liverpool....hope he is the same chap
Phill Tickle (Canada)
Old 11th May 2008, 09:56
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Remember Chris Wadsworth well, big guy with black curly hair & glasses ... though sadly not which vessel we were on together, possibly the Energy or the Cavalier.

Gillman Barber was master on the Unity back in 71....aided & abetted by C/O Frank Preece....the man with the golden fleece!
Old 11th May 2008, 11:26
Department: Navigation
Active: 1967 - 1981

My location
Whoa, another golden-oldie thread revived! Rushie, did the said Mr. Barber happen to be SenNavApp on the Patrol around '67? Sailed with Mr.Kinsella at some stage but at which, defeats me! Name is not one easily forgettable.