Akaroa - Ships Nostalgia
02:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Akaroa

Old 26th August 2004, 16:28

Akaroa

Shaw Savillís AKAROA (59/18565) seen in the Royal Docks, London.

She was built by Harland & Wolff as Royal Mails AMAZON. Acquired by Shaw Savill in 1968 and renamed AKAROA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Akaroa.jpg (59.1 KB, 357 views)
Old 28th September 2004, 09:31
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Purser
Active: 1967 - 1973

Hi Bob S

Nice photo of "Akaroa" in Royal Docks.

I joined her the day she was handed over to Shaw Savill from Royal Mail, after her last sailing as "Amazon" and stood by her as she was transformed into Shaw Savill colours. I worked in the Purser's Office until she sailed on her first trip as "Akaroa" - then waited till the "Arlanza" came in and sailed on "Arawa". It all seems so long ago now but the best years of my short life with Shaw Savill was on "Arawa" - great ships. Cheers Jamie Shedden, Shaw Savill Society, New Zealand
Old 28th September 2004, 10:03

I/m sure she and her sister had an ignominious end as Ugland car carriers!!
Old 28th September 2004, 13:39

My location
They were three AMAZON -ARAGON- and ARLANZA but i do not remember. the finally of their life and in what year!!!
Old 2nd March 2005, 12:48

The 3 A boats Arawa Akoroa And the Aranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandane
Hi Bob S

Nice photo of "Akaroa" in Royal Docks.

I joined her the day she was handed over to Shaw Savill from Royal Mail, after her last sailing as "Amazon" and stood by her as she was transformed into Shaw Savill colours. I worked in the Purser's Office until she sailed on her first trip as "Akaroa" - then waited till the "Arlanza" came in and sailed on "Arawa". It all seems so long ago now but the best years of my short life with Shaw Savill was on "Arawa" - great ships. Cheers Jamie Shedden, Shaw Savill Society, New Zealand
I joined late in 1969 on the aranda and have pictures of the Akaroa in london docks in 1971 i was 16 when i joined the Aranda in KGV dock as a commi chef
Old 2nd March 2005, 12:54

M V Aranda

The 3 A boats were the Akaroa Arawa and the Aranda
I was 16 when i first joined the Aranda in 1969 as a commi chef and sailed 4 times on her untill she was sold.
Did the Akaroa have an accident in dry dock in London?
Old 2nd March 2005, 22:27
joseph doyle

Akaroa

Hi all. Regards Akaroa She was built by Harland and Wolf for the Royal Mail Line as the Amazon in 1959 she was the sister ship to Aranda & Arawa 4th. She was transfered to Shaw Savill and Albion in 1968 and Renamed Akaroa. She was sold to a Norwegian Company in 1971 and renamed Akarita and turned into a car carrier. In 1977 she was sold to a Liberian Company and renamed Hual Akarita. In 1980 she was again renamed Akarita once again. In 1982 the grand old lady was scrapped in Kaohsiung.I saild on her in 1970 the trip she caught fire. Great ship and great crew. Cheers Joe
Old 15th August 2005, 22:08

Akaroa drydock incident

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter tabrett
The 3 A boats were the Akaroa Arawa and the Aranda
I was 16 when i first joined the Aranda in 1969 as a commi chef and sailed 4 times on her untill she was sold.
Did the Akaroa have an accident in dry dock in London?
When the Akaroa was placed on the blocks in the King George V drydock
in London and the dock had been drained down to the keel block level the
shores on the port side of the ship started to give way from Forard & the ship listed over to port ending up on the bilge blocks,which fortunately did
not let her go over any further.I was sitting in the Masters cabin with the master when this happened - pretty unnerving experience.
Old 21st August 2005, 07:46

Hi Joseph,
THat must have been an alarming experience. Did she heel over quite suddenly or was it a gradual list. The Master must have been having visions of the report he was going to have to write! How would you deal with a situation like that - would you flood the dock again?
Cheers
Cassim
Old 9th February 2006, 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S

She was built by Harland & Wolff as Royal Mails AMAZON. Acquired by Shaw Savill in 1968 and renamed AKAROA.
certainly a much different ship from the old akaroa,i sailed on her.in january 1953. from liverpool.
ian jack
Old 9th February 2006, 20:52

SSA Ex RM A ships

I was posted to Akaroa for a limited period during the changeover from Royal Mail. Very intersting either by co -incidence or design that when they changed the names on these ships ( Bow, stern, lightboxes,lifeboats and lifebuoys etc) they only had to change the minimum number of letters and I think all the new names were the same number of letters as the old!

Sorry I did not get the chance to sail on her ( but spent two very happy years on Southern Cross instead)- they had to try and upgrade the 3rd class and degrade the 1st Class ( worried the Kiwis would was their boot int the bidet!) to make the ships one class.
Old 14th March 2006, 12:47
Entusiasta

Hello Robert.

I think this is yours
http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/...php?lid=201033
http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/...php?lid=200381

These are great colour shots, thank you for sharing them.

Best regards from Lisbon,
Paulo Mestre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S

Without a mark, without a bound,
It runneth the earth's wide regions round;
it plays with the clouds;
it mocks the skies;
Or like a cradled creature lies.

Barry Cornwall
Old 14th March 2006, 14:35

Thanks Paulo,

Yes, I post to both sites
Old 24th November 2006, 23:42

Arawa

By chance does anybody have pictures of the A boats as the Akarita ,Hoegh traveller and Hoegh Trotter.
I sailed as an Engineer deep sea on the Arawa (great ship but hard work)and I did a couple of coastals on the Akaroa.
Old 25th November 2006, 10:19

Took this shot of the Aranda arriving in Port of Spain Trinidad in 1971 from SSA's MV Cretic

Regards

Jim H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aranda-arriving-in-Port-of-.jpg (65.7 KB, 128 views)
Old 30th November 2006, 09:46

My location
lapoolcan: just posted photo of Akarita (ex-Akaroa) on site.
Old 3rd December 2006, 01:58

Thanks Dave, just wanted to see the the end result.what a shame.Lapoolcan
Old 24th December 2006, 22:53

Hi Lapoolcan - I worked on Arawa three voyages in 1970 as second Purser - were you there then - as I must know you?
Willie Wait was Chief!

Cheers Jamie
Old 28th April 2007, 11:57
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1968

My location
lapoolcan hi, when were you on lhe laurentic i left her in late 68 regards john king
Old 2nd May 2007, 09:28

I was on the Oroya when she was with PSNC running down the West coast of South America in the late 60s as a navigation apprentice
Old 26th November 2009, 12:40

Can anyone tell me where I can get information on my father who was on the Akaroa in 1946 for maybe quite a few years. He was an englishman who possibly jumped ship in 1946 in Wellington NZ. He never returned to the sea and died in 1957 in NZ
Old 8th September 2012, 16:09
Active: 1966 - 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandane View Post
Hi Lapoolcan - I worked on Arawa three voyages in 1970 as second Purser - were you there then - as I must know you?
Willie Wait was Chief!

Cheers Jamie
Hooray Jamie; Sure I know you too, my little blue book records me on the Arawa twixt june '70 and sept.'70. I relieved Matt Rankin as Chief Elect. for one trip. Previously I'd spent six ecstatic trips on the mighty Akaroa, before that nice Mr. Sibley dragged me screaming down the gang plank. Willie Wait was still chief of all the Engineers, Bob Crawford was Chief Refrig. Don Joel was 2nd. Eng.and the dashing Mick Murphy was 3rd.. Subsequent to those heady days I earned a crust in the Southern Africa mining industry, supplying the wherewithal to remove ore and Diamonds from the Earths crust.However the mantle of retirement is now settled about these frail shoulders, and life is sweet in Bathurst South Africa.
Best Regards
Barry (mac) Macauley (R824961)
Old 25th September 2012, 13:08

Kia ora Barry

Well fancy catching up after 42 years ~ thats amazing ~ what a great website to bring old shipsmates in contact again.
The Engineers Bar ~ aka Officers Bar on the A ships was the best bar on the ship ~ and best viewing deck to the pools ~ and bathing decks !
I dont know if you still keep in touch with others ~ but Matt Rankin is still to the fore and attends the UK annual reunions ~ I last met him at the last Southampton Reunion and he looked as young as ever!
I remember well Bob, Don and Mick as well as Chief Willie ~ not that Willie was a mate of mine ~ as always a nightmare getting the engineroom stores for port arrival papers ~ half a bottle of gin later, and I emerged with scribbled document!
Did you sail with Jack McIntyre ~ he was on Arawa several voyages in 1970 but not sure which ones ~ also others Brian (Legs) Diamond, and leckie Pete Rainey. So many names come bouncing back - !
We have large contingent of engineers in NZ Shaw Savill Society ~ and two noteable names Wally Watson (UK) and Jim Dalgleish (Aus) attended our Picton Reunion in April this year.
I migrated to NZ in 1973 ~ after A ships and SX had gone ~ leaving the troubled NStar and OManiac to linger on another year!
Served 38 years with AirNZ Passenger Services International - and retired gracefully December 2010 ~ despite greater part of my life with airlines ~ Shaw Savill years are foremost in my mind ~ and best mates I ever made.
Cheers Jamie Shedden
Shaw Savill Society NZ Branch
Old 6th October 2012, 12:58
Active: 1966 - 1973

Hullo Jamie: Thanks for the reply...42yrs. Ye Gods!
Certainly remember the Bar at the top of the ship and agree it was the best of the lot. On the Akaroa it was Known as the "Purple Empire". Glad to hear Matt.Rankin is still going strong,he must have had his telegram by now. Know what you mean about Willie,he was a real devotee of the sauce. I once raised a recumbent Willie from the floor of the 2nd.class bar on one memorable occasion. Willie being practically spheroid, this was no easy task I can tell you.
I did sail with Jack Mac who was 4th. Eng. as I remember. Pete, Legs and also Abie comprised my loyal band of Leckies; stout yeomen all.
Wally Watson I certainly remember,a very nice chap. The name Jim Dalgleish certainly rings bells, but I'm afraid the memory banks are a bit fogged. I wonder if you have Michael Earp on your books: I sailed many times with Earpie on the Aramaic and the Akaroa, he finally married a passenger (Diane) and settled in Auckland as the old refrain goes.
I went to Zambia at the end of 1973,spending 6yrs. on the copperbelt, followed by a lengthy stint installing and commissioning Mine Winders for a German company AEG.
Keep the Faith
Barry Mac
Old 8th October 2012, 08:19

Hi Barry

Great to hear from you again ~ and to know we have many common ex ship mates. Mike Earle and Dianne attended our Picton Reunion in April.
I can put you in touch with him - will send his email to your private email here.
Cheers Jamie