H.M.C.S. "SACKVILLE" - Ships Nostalgia
12:27

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

H.M.C.S. "SACKVILLE"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 8th May 2006, 04:48
Keltic Star's Avatar
Keltic Star Keltic Star is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 2010
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
My location
Posts: 2,384
H.M.C.S. "SACKVILLE"

Today, May 7th. is Battle of the Atlantic Sunday. This event commemorates the sacrafices of the 4,600 sailors, merchant seamen, RCAF and Canadian Army personnel who gave their lives in the North Atlantic. Canada lost 24 warships, 70 merchant ships and 350 aircraft during the battle while carrying over 181 million tons of supplies to Britain.

Of 236 Corvettes laid down in Canada and Britain, H.M.C.S. "Sackville", the last remaining Corvette paticipated in ceremonies honouring the event. In fact, the 65 year old lady, assisted by tugs, put to sea once again to hold a Service of Commemoration in the entrance to Halifax Harbour followed by the Burial of Ashes at Sea of Veterans who have recently Crossed the Bar.

The Trustees of H.M.C.S. "Sackville" were kind enough to include the ashes of my late Father in Law, who although neither a Canadian nor a Sailor, was a Veteran having served as a Sergeant in the London & Irish Rifles, Royal Engineers as a bomb disposal expert. Having sucessfully defused some 400 bombs it was only discovered on dischage from the British Army that he was colour blind.

H.M.C.S. "Sackville" is Canada's Naval Memorial and plans are underway to have her permanently docked in concrete inside an interpretation centre on the Halifax waterfront.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sackville41-85.JPG (75.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Sackville b.jpg (17.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Sackville c.jpg (24.1 KB, 16 views)
__________________
No to Canada-EU Trade Agreement
Look what happened to Britain
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 8th May 2006, 05:06
nadwidny nadwidny is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7
Quote:
Having sucessfully defused some 400 bombs it was only discovered on dischage from the British Army that he was colour blind.
Oh...my...God. They truly were the "Greatest Generation".

Quote:
In fact, the 65 year old lady, assisted by tugs, put to sea once again to hold a Service of Commemoration in the entrance to Halifax Harbour followed by the Burial of Ashes at Sea of Veterans who have recently Crossed the Bar.
Where about's did she get to? Point Pleasant? Further? I've been on the Sackville many times. One of my greatest wishes would be to spend a night on her some time and over a couple of rums, talk to the men of all branches who served and survived the Battle of the Atlantic.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 8th May 2006, 06:40
Keltic Star's Avatar
Keltic Star Keltic Star is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 2010
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
My location
Posts: 2,384
Round the Hens & Chickens buoy to Point Pleasant Park. One tug alongside and two others in attendance together with a couple of RIB's. The navy was making sure nothing happened to the old girl. Excellent Mess Dinner held aboard the previous evening with many Battle of Atlantic Vets in attendance.
__________________
No to Canada-EU Trade Agreement
Look what happened to Britain
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 8th May 2006, 12:17
Paedrig's Avatar
Paedrig Paedrig is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 186
Have any of you gentlemen read "The Corvette Navy" by James Lamb? He served throughout the war on various Canadian corvettes based at Halifax and gives a very graphic view of life afloat.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 8th May 2006, 14:45
nadwidny nadwidny is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltic Star
Round the Hens & Chickens buoy to Point Pleasant Park. One tug alongside and two others in attendance together with a couple of RIB's. The navy was making sure nothing happened to the old girl. Excellent Mess Dinner held aboard the previous evening with many Battle of Atlantic Vets in attendance.
Wish I could've been there.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 8th May 2006, 14:46
nadwidny nadwidny is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paedrig
Have any of you gentlemen read "The Corvette Navy" by James Lamb? He served throughout the war on various Canadian corvettes based at Halifax and gives a very graphic view of life afloat.
Haven't read it. I'll look for it today at my favourite online bookshop. Thanks for the recommendation.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 8th May 2006, 21:16
DMA's Avatar
DMA DMA is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
My location
Posts: 414
Excerpt from todays Edmonton Journal,attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Halifax NS.jpg (87.3 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Search the net with ask.com
Support SN
Ask.com and get


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.