H.M.C.S. "SACKVILLE" - Ships Nostalgia
12:27

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

H.M.C.S. "SACKVILLE"

Old 8th May 2006, 04:48
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 2010

My location
H.M.C.S. "SACKVILLE"

Today, May 7th. is Battle of the Atlantic Sunday. This event commemorates the sacrafices of the 4,600 sailors, merchant seamen, RCAF and Canadian Army personnel who gave their lives in the North Atlantic. Canada lost 24 warships, 70 merchant ships and 350 aircraft during the battle while carrying over 181 million tons of supplies to Britain.

Of 236 Corvettes laid down in Canada and Britain, H.M.C.S. "Sackville", the last remaining Corvette paticipated in ceremonies honouring the event. In fact, the 65 year old lady, assisted by tugs, put to sea once again to hold a Service of Commemoration in the entrance to Halifax Harbour followed by the Burial of Ashes at Sea of Veterans who have recently Crossed the Bar.

The Trustees of H.M.C.S. "Sackville" were kind enough to include the ashes of my late Father in Law, who although neither a Canadian nor a Sailor, was a Veteran having served as a Sergeant in the London & Irish Rifles, Royal Engineers as a bomb disposal expert. Having sucessfully defused some 400 bombs it was only discovered on dischage from the British Army that he was colour blind.

H.M.C.S. "Sackville" is Canada's Naval Memorial and plans are underway to have her permanently docked in concrete inside an interpretation centre on the Halifax waterfront.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sackville41-85.JPG (75.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Sackville b.jpg (17.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Sackville c.jpg (24.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 8th May 2006, 05:06

Quote:
Having sucessfully defused some 400 bombs it was only discovered on dischage from the British Army that he was colour blind.
Oh...my...God. They truly were the "Greatest Generation".

Quote:
In fact, the 65 year old lady, assisted by tugs, put to sea once again to hold a Service of Commemoration in the entrance to Halifax Harbour followed by the Burial of Ashes at Sea of Veterans who have recently Crossed the Bar.
Where about's did she get to? Point Pleasant? Further? I've been on the Sackville many times. One of my greatest wishes would be to spend a night on her some time and over a couple of rums, talk to the men of all branches who served and survived the Battle of the Atlantic.
Old 8th May 2006, 06:40
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 2010

My location
Round the Hens & Chickens buoy to Point Pleasant Park. One tug alongside and two others in attendance together with a couple of RIB's. The navy was making sure nothing happened to the old girl. Excellent Mess Dinner held aboard the previous evening with many Battle of Atlantic Vets in attendance.
Old 8th May 2006, 12:17

Have any of you gentlemen read "The Corvette Navy" by James Lamb? He served throughout the war on various Canadian corvettes based at Halifax and gives a very graphic view of life afloat.
Old 8th May 2006, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltic Star
Round the Hens & Chickens buoy to Point Pleasant Park. One tug alongside and two others in attendance together with a couple of RIB's. The navy was making sure nothing happened to the old girl. Excellent Mess Dinner held aboard the previous evening with many Battle of Atlantic Vets in attendance.
Wish I could've been there.
Old 8th May 2006, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paedrig
Have any of you gentlemen read "The Corvette Navy" by James Lamb? He served throughout the war on various Canadian corvettes based at Halifax and gives a very graphic view of life afloat.
Haven't read it. I'll look for it today at my favourite online bookshop. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 8th May 2006, 21:16

My location
Excerpt from todays Edmonton Journal,attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Halifax NS.jpg (87.3 KB, 24 views)