"Olsen's Fisherman's Nautical almanac" - Ships Nostalgia
05:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

"Olsen's Fisherman's Nautical almanac"

Old 27th May 2006, 12:47

"Olsen's Fisherman's Nautical almanac"

Hi there everyone, First post on this forum

Please does anybody have old copies of the "Olsen's fisherman's nautical almanac". The information that I need from them is the fishing vessel lists at the back of the books in order to add more detail to a fishing vessel database. Maybe someone could provide photocopies for which I prepared to pay. I am after the lists from older books, ideally anything from 1976 to 1990 but anything would be interesting.

Also of interest would be pictures of boats from any of the Sussex ports i.e. Shoreham, Newhaven or Rye.

Regards, Martin
Old 27th May 2006, 14:24
billmaca

HI Martin I have a 1951/66/88/96 olsens If theres anything your looking for in any of them just give me a bell on the private message link and I'll do what I can ,

Slainte Billy'
Old 27th May 2006, 14:57

Smile Olsens Almanacs

Hi guys, thank you Martin for getting this forum going, so that those of us interested in Trawlers can converse without treading on "mainstream" toes. Billy, I would appreciate any info on "BM" registered vessels from the 50's thru to say the seventies, as I am trying to compile a Brixham database. May I publicly here thank Martin, and also members Rienk and Roland in Holland and Belgium for their considerable help thus far, also for the photos they have so kindly sent......it has been a tremendous help to me, Trev
Old 1st June 2006, 10:20

Olsens

Billy, thank you so much for that....you have identified 10 new vessels for me, in addition, I have been able to allocate numbers to 2 more vessels, a tremendous help, thank you for going to so much trouble, regards, Trev
Old 1st June 2006, 12:16

hello martin,
i to am a new member, i have a old "olsens " for the year 1947, if it is any use to you,
regards
myjan
Old 1st June 2006, 12:23

Hi everyone, I'm wondering what sort of information Olsens holds of fishing vessels?
I'm using copies of Lloyds registers as my main source but, they fall down because they don't record port registery numbers.

Regards

Clem
Old 1st June 2006, 12:31

My location
Trev
When I worked for the RNMDSF at Overgang, we had a copy of a book listing all current fishing vessels, with photographs and their numbers. Pretty sure it will still be there - why not pop in and have a word with Len.
Regards
Peter4447
Old 1st June 2006, 12:37

Olsens has the vessels listed by both name and port reg no, and includes info on where and when built, size of boat, callsign,owner, etc, although there are a lot of blanks in the info. The older Olsens list boats over 15 tons, and the newer ones list boats over 10 metres. Its a yearly publication.
Old 1st June 2006, 14:20

My location
olsens

I was on the understanding that the Olsen's were stopped publishing a few years ago.Iwould say that they are collectors items now.Is it true that the Olsen's were not published through the war years
Old 1st June 2006, 20:07

may well be that it is no longer published, most recent one that i've seen is 2000. i suppose it's been superseded by Fishing News's "Fishing vessels of Britain and Ireland".
as regards the war years, when i was doing research in the Scottish Fisheries Museum, there were copies there from during WW2, but the lists of vessels and registrations were not included in those volumes.
Old 1st June 2006, 20:20
billmaca

When you think that nearly every boat with a wheelhouse had one every year (at one time some of the salesmen, agents, etc used to hand them out to there own boats)you would think the place would be flooded with them , but instead there like hens teeth, and selling for over 20 on ebay ,I 'd love to have a look at what WK (Wick)boats are regestered on the 47 book , the oldest one I've seen was from 1934 it had small boats listed as well ,all the wee yole's/yawl's from all the tiny harbours around the coast

Slainte Billy
Old 1st June 2006, 21:06

will 1948 do? only lists over 15 tons net, but there were about 40 WK boats.
Old 6th June 2006, 09:37

Smile Olsens

Guys, these hardly ever turn up on ebay.. When they do, the price is high.....am I out of order in suggesting we, at least, do not bid against each other ?? I for one, only want the info contained in them, I dont need more books clogging up my shelves !! What do you think ?? regards to all, and sincere thanks for all your contributions to the fishing vessel bit.......Trev
Old 6th June 2006, 20:07
billmaca

Would It be an idea to put any info from the like of the Olsen's books,that we pass to each other on to the fishing vessels photo forum , photo copy's etc

Slainte Billy
Old 6th June 2006, 21:09

My location
olsen's

I thought a mannie ats retired lek yersel Billy woud mind on all that boaties!!!lol
Wully
Old 7th June 2006, 20:41

Hi everyone. Does anyone have any info. on the Norwegian owned vessel Meloy, ex. LT122 Feasible until she was, sold post war to Norway.

Thanks

Clem
Old 7th June 2006, 21:11
danube4

My location
Hi Clem. Have you seen this'. Type: Ship Meloy in google.

Scroll down to Feasible now Meloy.

Barney.
Old 7th June 2006, 21:33

Thanks Barney, I just searched for "Meloy" never thought to add "Ship" as well.

I'm still trying to identify her Norwegian owners.

Cheers

Clem
Old 8th June 2006, 12:33

My location
Think i've got 1982,1984,1986,1996 and the very last year 2000 when the printers went under. I've also got this years Fishing Vessels of UK & Ireland by David Linke ( altho this does have several factual errors that I have noticed ). I'm not at home just now ( won't be till monday at the earliest ) due to just getting home from hospital after an operation so if you need anything from my books please be patient with the patient lol

Davie
Old 12th June 2006, 15:49
billmaca

If your useing Olsens's of a later date I've found that the newer the book the more mistake's, I'm listing the Brixham boats 1988 for some of the lads and have already found 9 cases where the numerical list does not tally whith the alphabetical list

Slainte Billy
Old 20th July 2006, 08:28

Just a thought.We all seem to have Olsens from different years. Would anyone be interested in the following.Scanning the fishing vessels list and putting it onto cd. Then anyone requiring a copy of that year could buy a copy of the cd for a reasonable price, say a fiver. It would be better than us bidding against each other and paying twenty odd quid for the occasional copy that does come up for sale on e-bay. It would also make many more years accesible to anyone requiring them. I know that I would happily pay a fiver for a cd of a year that i do not already have.
Old 20th July 2006, 12:02

My location
Not legal i'm afraid Graham. Even tho the printers that issued the Almanac has folded they still hold the copyright for a period of 75 years after the last produced copy. You would get into a LOT of trouble of the administrators if the company found out you were copying their lists onto a CD , you can't do it to give to anyone else either. All you can legally do is to scan it and put it onto CD for yourself , called acceptable use policy.

If you try to sell a copy , even for a quid , you could find yourself in serious trouble , the fines are normally not less than 2,500+ and you can be fined an unrestricted amount there is no upper limit its up to the beak in charge of the case i'm afraid.

Same rules apply to photographs , basically if you didn't take the photo you do NOT have any rights to reproduce it until the copyright owner has been dead for 75 years. You cannot legally scan and put online any photo from any publication , be it a book or a postcard , without the express written permission from the copyright holder.

I'd advise you not to follow up on this as if your caught doing it with this thread in existence it would be a cut and dried case in court and you would be heavily fined i'm afraid.

I did copyright law when I did my Freelance Photography coursework.

Davie

Last edited by Gavin Gait : 20th July 2006 at 12:04.
Old 20th July 2006, 14:19

well, that knocks that idea on the head! Thanks for clarifying the legality of it, Davie. I never thought about copyrights. We'll just have to keep posting on the site for boat info and rely on various members to look it up in the odd almanacs which are scattered amongst us.
Old 20th July 2006, 19:40

Olsen's

As far as I'm aware copyright law as Davie describes only applies if more than 15% of the publication is copied & only if it is then sold for commercial gain.

Firstly, the fishing boat lists constitute a small part of the book (much less than 15%) & secondly, nobody would gain commercially if the cost only covered the cost of the CD & postage.
I'll check the copyright laws next time i'm in the MBA library.
Great idea though Graham, I'd be up for it.
Martin.
Old 20th July 2006, 20:18

My location
Martin no i'm sorry but copyright law states that you can only copy a maximum of 15% of any publication for your own use ONLY.You cannot copy and pass on any material that you do not hold the copyright on. Its up to you but if you end up getting a knock on the door don't say ya wasn't warned lol.

Davie