Soldier Prince - Ships Nostalgia
04:47

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Soldier Prince

Old 12th September 2004, 17:04

Soldier Prince

The Soldier Prince at sea off Lisbon, Northbound to UK From Med.
Built as Pennine Prince 1971, 1599 tg

Also photo of her laid up in Royal Albert Dock prior to her sale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg soldier prince at sea 1.jpg (52.5 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg soldier prince rad1a.jpg (61.2 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by david smith : 31st October 2004 at 15:42.
Old 8th October 2004, 20:38
Aadje

Quote:
Originally Posted by david smith
The Soldier Prince at sea off Lisbon, Northbound to UK From Med.
Built as Pennine Prince 1971, 1599 tg
Pleased to see this photo. This vessel made the first voyage to start from rotterdam to felixstowe and further to the med. with containers. Prince line, that time, shipped general cargo only. Unfortunately I forgot the names of he other (general cargo) vessel's.
The soldier prince left rotterdam with 10 conts only, which placed on deck for the outerworld to be seen.
Is there still something to find on the internet concverning the former Prince Line company.
Thanks in advance

Aadje
( Aad Motz - former port agent Hudig & Pieters / Dammers & van der Heide
Rotterdam )
Old 8th October 2004, 21:16

Hi Aad
I was Second Officer on the Royal Prince and Crown Prince as well - do you rememer those ships? I know Hudig and Pieters, are they still going?
Old 27th November 2004, 23:22
Aadje

Good evening David,
Longtime ago. I think we speak abt. end 70ties.
I appologize in advance not remembering some names, however the name I still remember is Captain Land.
Prince Line had beautifull ships. On this site I also found some photographs of he Cottswold Prince and the starter of the containerservice the Soldier Prince. The containerservice later was taken over by Ellerman Lines and the City of Ipswich and City of Felixstowe were added. Lateron the line was intergrated in Necol ( Nedlloyd ) and we lost the agency.
Hudig & Pieters still exists, however not active anymore. It was a part of the rotterdam shipowner Dammers en van der Heide, which being sold in 1989 to Messrs. Seatrade Groningen. Seatrade Groningen is now the number one reefer company with 132 reefervessels incl. charterered/managed and 102 owned ones. After a re-organisation I was offered 7 years paid leave, which I celebrate now 2 years. I'm traveling a lot and when at home most time spending on internet. Most famous forum is the dutch www.groningerkustvaart.nl where also some english, norwegian, australian and new zealand nautics are active.
B.regards
Aad Motz
Old 21st March 2007, 12:08
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2010

My location
Sailor Prince

The Sailor Prince kicked off the Ellerman Prince container service from UK/ Rotterdam to Mediterranean, I think 1977/78 - Besides Rotterdam the UK port was London using Victoria Deepwater terminal at Greenwich, I think somewhere I have snap of original loading

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadje View Post
Pleased to see this photo. This vessel made the first voyage to start from rotterdam to felixstowe and further to the med. with containers. Prince line, that time, shipped general cargo only. Unfortunately I forgot the names of he other (general cargo) vessel's.
The soldier prince left rotterdam with 10 conts only, which placed on deck for the outerworld to be seen.
Is there still something to find on the internet concverning the former Prince Line company.
Thanks in advance

Aadje
Rotterdam )
Old 22nd March 2007, 05:26
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadje View Post
Thanks in advance

Aadje
Rotterdam )
For info on former Prince Line ships and company history check:

http://www.red-duster.co.uk/PRINCE19.htm

Looking at the pic's of the "Soldier Prince", can only be dismayed at her lines compared to the beautiful lines of the old Prince Line "meddy" boats of the 50's and 60's. They were like sailing on Daddy's yacht.
Old 18th October 2014, 07:23
Organisation: Tugs
Active: 1984 - Present

I was AB on the Sailor Prince in 73, joined her at Victoria deep Water Terminal and visited Crete, Malta, Cyprus and Israel.
Old 19th October 2014, 20:41

By the time of the afore mentioned "Sailor Prince", the company had nothing in common the 50s and 60s company and personnel that much of us remember on this site.
Old 20th October 2014, 19:26

I was working on this ship in Alex Dock and changed her name from Soldier Prince to Sailor Prince or it could have been the other way round she was not able to trade some where with one of the names for political some reason. sam2182sw