Lahore and Nowshera - Ships Nostalgia
06:11

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Lahore and Nowshera

Old 31st May 2006, 13:27

Question Lahore and Nowshera

Hi,
Does anyone out there have photos of these ships?
Allan Wareing.
Old 31st May 2006, 14:34

Allan, there are a couple of good photos of the 'Nowshera' on the Merchant Navy site:

http://tinyurl.com/rm8g5

Bruce C
Old 31st May 2006, 16:58
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1976 - 1988

Allan,

There were three ships by the name of "Nowshera"

1919 War loss (1940)

There were two ships built as Lahore but I presume this is the one you need.

P & O Line. War Loss (1941) photo and details here:
http://uboat.net/allies/merchants/810.html

Rgds
Paid it in full”

Last edited by Hugh MacLean : 31st May 2006 at 17:47.
Old 1st June 2006, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Carson
Allan, there are a couple of good photos of the 'Nowshera' on the Merchant Navy site:

http://tinyurl.com/rm8g5

Bruce C
Bruce, many thanks, Visited the site but the Nowshera I'm looking for is much older than that. See my reply to H.M
Regards. Allan W.
Old 1st June 2006, 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh MacLean
Allan,

There were three ships by the name of "Nowshera"

1919 War loss (1940)

There were two ships built as Lahore but I presume this is the one you need.

P & O Line. War Loss (1941) photo and details here:
http://uboat.net/allies/merchants/810.html

Rgds
Hugh,looks like I'm half way there.The Lahore on the site was the one I sailed in in 1940.

The Nowshera I'm looking for is the one built in 1919.

I had the misfortune to be in her when she became a War Loss in 1940,but thats another story!
Regards, Allan
Old 1st June 2006, 17:03

Hello Allan,

I have checked on line for photos of the Nowshera (1919). The only one I can find is a black and white photo for sale at this site:

http://www.ship-photos.dynamic-site.net/

The cost is a fiver (UK) sterling.

Nowshera was attacked by raider Pinguin. Did you end up at Milag Nord?

Allan, you and your mates who served during that time never got the recognition they truly deserved. So from an ex navy man of another generation I thank you sir.

Rgds
Paid it in full”
Old 3rd June 2006, 16:33

Quote:
Hello Allan,

I have checked on line for photos of the Nowshera (1919). The only one I can find is a black and white photo for sale at this site:

http://www.ship-photos.dynamic-site.net/

The cost is a fiver (UK) sterling.

Nowshera was attacked by raider Pinguin. Did you end up at Milag Nord?

Allan, you and your mates who served during that time never got the recognition they truly deserved. So from an ex navy man of another generation I thank you sir.

Rgds
Thanks Hugh,

I think I'll cough up a fiver and get the photo from that site. Yes I did finish up in Milag Nord and languished there until the end of the war when I went straight back to sea.
As an A.B in 1940 I took a gunnery course in Liverpool (H.M.S. Gosling I think)and became a D.E.M.S.gunner and that's how I ended up in Nowshera after being transfered from Lahore in Bombay. They normally did'nt carry white crew.
After looking at your site and others like it I realise that a lot of people had a tougher time than I did.
Regards,Allan.
Old 4th June 2006, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Wareing
Thanks Hugh,

I think I'll cough up a fiver and get the photo from that site. Yes I did finish up in Milag Nord and languished there until the end of the war when I went straight back to sea.
As an A.B in 1940 I took a gunnery course in Liverpool (H.M.S. Gosling I think)and became a D.E.M.S.gunner and that's how I ended up in Nowshera after being transfered from Lahore in Bombay. They normally did'nt carry white crew.
After looking at your site and others like it I realise that a lot of people had a tougher time than I did.
Regards,Allan.
Just realised I made a small slip-up. I was in fact in Marlag Nord (being M.N). The two compounds were within sight of each other about half a mile apart and run more or less on the same lines.
Regards,Allan.
Old 4th June 2006, 16:19

Quote:
Just realised I made a small slip-up. I was in fact in Marlag Nord (being M.N). The two compounds were within sight of each other about half a mile apart and run more or less on the same lines.
Regards,Allan.
Thank you for that, Allan. I never realised that there were two sections to it. I thought it was for MN personel only.

I wonder if you have seen this site about Milag:

http://www.gabethomas.clara.net/Milag_home.htm

Rgds
Paid it in full”
Old 5th June 2006, 06:24

Quote:
Thank you for that, Allan. I never realised that there were two sections to it. I thought it was for MN personel only.

I wonder if you have seen this site about Milag:

http://www.gabethomas.clara.net/Milag_home.htm

Rgds
I seem to have dug myself into a hole here. On thinking back I think the reason is that at the time the individual units were never mentioned as such - I and I suppose many others thought of ourselves as being in '' Marlag und Milag Nord '' I'm fairly certain that our mail was addressed as such and to back up my reasoning I will try to attach a scan of the censors stamp from a book which was sent there to me. It reads"Marlag u Milag Nord"
gepruft
So,Iwas in Milag after all! I've just had a quick look at the site to bring myself up to date.A couple of years ago I tried to find people who remembered on that site without much luck,which is not suprising cosidering the amount of people involved and the fact that many must have died since then.
Regards, Allan
Old 5th June 2006, 17:48

Quote:
It reads"Marlag u Milag Nord"
gepruft
So,Iwas in Milag after all!
Regards, Allan
Hello Allan,

I have seen many references to Marlag und Milag Nord but always assumed that it was a holding camp for MN personel. I never realised that there were two sections to it. Something new learnt!

It will be interesting to see the censors stamp.

This is a long shot but I wonder if you ever came across an ss City of Cairo survivor by the name of Angus MacDonald. He had quite an extraordinary war as I mention in my website. He spent 36 days at sea in an open boat after the sinking of "City of Cairo", was rescued by a German blockade runner subsequently sunk by a British warship. He then found himself in an open boat again and was taken aboard a u-boat which in turn was depth charged with him in it. He was put ashore at St Nazaire and spent the rest of the war at Milag.

One of MacDonald's mates QM Bob Ironside who died at sea in MacDonalds open boat gave him his personal possessions. How ironic it was that Bob's brother Guardsman Ironside was one of the first in to liberate Milag and was able to look MacDonald up and ask about his brother.

Regards
Paid it in full”
Old 6th June 2006, 14:26

Quote:
Hello Allan,

I have seen many references to Marlag und Milag Nord but always assumed that it was a holding camp for MN personel. I never realised that there were two sections to it. Something new learnt!

It will be interesting to see the censors stamp.

This is a long shot but I wonder if you ever came across an ss City of Cairo survivor by the name of Angus MacDonald. He had quite an extraordinary war as I mention in my website. He spent 36 days at sea in an open boat after the sinking of "City of Cairo", was rescued by a German blockade runner subsequently sunk by a British warship. He then found himself in an open boat again and was taken aboard a u-boat which in turn was depth charged with him in it. He was put ashore at St Nazaire and spent the rest of the war at Milag.

One of MacDonald's mates QM Bob Ironside who died at sea in MacDonalds open boat gave him his personal possessions. How ironic it was that Bob's brother Guardsman Ironside was one of the first in to liberate Milag and was able to look MacDonald up and ask about his brother.

Regards
Sorry Hugh,the name Angus MacDonald does'nt ring a bell .I do vividly remember the Guards arriving - a bunch of us were in the North end of the compound when a tank calmly drove through the fence, the crew jumped out and there were hugs all round.Meanwhile several other tanks drove in through the main gate in a gentlemanly way and relieved the few remaing camp guards of their weapons. They appologised for taking so long arrive,the reason was that the Germans had parked a heap of panzers just outside the camp which were giving them a headache and they had to be carefull not to lob anything on us while they were getting rid of them.There had been a lot of flack flying round for the last couple of days and on our Senior Officers advice we had dug shallow trenches outside the barracks in case anything started to land inside. I presume the same precautions were taken in Marlag.
Sorry I made a cock-up with the attachment, will try again. Allan
Old 6th June 2006, 19:36

Thanks Allan. It was a long shot but worth a try.

Rgds
Paid it in full”
Old 15th August 2006, 19:55

Nowshera Nyanza

Great ships, served one year on marking off surface table in Scotts' engine works checking turbine castings etc, then last nine months of apprenticeship on outfitting the ships down in the shipyard.
Old 15th August 2006, 19:57

Bi B class

Looking for any shots of Bulimba, Bamora etc., deck view especially to help with drawing a model plan.
Thanks, Jim