SS Waitamata and SS Waihemo and SS Waiotapu - Ships Nostalgia
11:21

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

SS Waitamata and SS Waihemo and SS Waiotapu

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2nd June 2006, 09:37
lagerstedt's Avatar
lagerstedt lagerstedt is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 456
SS Waitamata and SS Waihemo and SS Waiotapu

I am looking for a colour photos of the SS Waitamata and SS Waihemo. These two ships were on the Trans-Pacific run and are ex Canadian ships whose Canadian Names ended in "....... Park"

SS Waihemo 1944 - 7306 tons grosss - 430 feed in lenght - 57 feed wide - speed 11 knots - SR powered and single screwed.

SS Waitamata 1946 - 7360 tons gross - 440 feet in lenght - 57 feet wide - speed 11.5 knots - SR powered and single screwed.

SS Waiotapu Have no other information other than she was in the fleet before and during WW 2. Wanted for a post about the ship during ww2.

Thank you

Blair Lagerstedt
NZ
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:24
Rory Rory is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 700
Union Steamship Co., Vessels

Hi Blair;

Can't help you with photos, and it may be the spelling for Waitamata is in question. The following is from the New Zealand Maritime Site, and hope this helps.
Cheers,
Rory

Vessel Name: WAIHEMO
Vessel ID: 1175581
Official No: 175581
Vessel Type: Steamship
Tonnage: 7,364 gross
Owner: UNION STEAMSHIP CO. OF NEW ZEALAND LTD.
Built: 1944
Engine: Steamship
Date of Fate: 1972
Type of Fate: Broken up
Vessel Abstract: Visited Auckland 44 times between 1 Jul 1946 and 3 Nov 1966 (not all visits may be recorded in this database).
Ex DOMINION PARK-1946, Ex FORT MACKINAC (L).
Renamed MARIA SUSANA-1966.

Vessel Name: WAITEMATA
Vessel ID: 1172876
Official No: 172876
Vessel Type: Motor vessel
Tonnage: 7,364 gross
Owner: UNION STEAMSHIP CO. OF NEW ZEALAND LTD.
Built: 1946
Engine: Motorship
Date of Fate: 1973
Type of Fate: Broken up
Vessel Abstract: Visited Auckland 50 times between 2 Jan 1947 and 5 Mar 1967 (not all visits may be recorded in this database).
Ex SELSEY BILL (L).
Renamed AMELIA-1967.


Vessel Name: WAIOTAPU
Vessel ID: 1144637
Official No: 144637
Vessel Type: Steamship
Tonnage: 6,035 gross
Owner: UNION STEAMSHIP CO. OF NEW ZEALAND LTD.
Built: 1913
Engine: Steamship
Date of Fate: 1948
Type of Fate: Broken up
Vessel Abstract: Visited Auckland 36 times between 3 Jul 1924 and 12 Feb 1943 (not all visits may be recorded in this database).
Ex STOLBERG-1919.
Renamed VICTORIA PEAK-1946, Renamed SHAHROKH-1946, Renamed DAH HUNG-1947.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 8th July 2007, 04:45
Tony C Tony C is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1972
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 810
Smile SS Waitemata

Hi Blair,

I am attaching an old photo of the Waitemata at anchor off Rarotonga that I took in 1965. I sailed as an ordinary seaman on both the Waitemata and the Waihemo in 1965/66 and would love to see any photo's of either ship that you might have received.

Regards, Tony Conroy
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11th July 2007, 12:18
waimea waimea is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 156
I can supply a colour print of Waihemo and a B&W print of Waitemata

Go to www.downundershipphotos.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11th July 2007, 12:30
gdynia's Avatar
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
My location
Posts: 12,808
Blair
You can find Waitamata and Waihemo at www.photoships.co.uk
__________________
If theres a way theres a will
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:46
Breiz Breiz is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6
Copy of colour photo of Waitemata at

http://www.nzshipmarine.com/history/photosets.aspx?id=8
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 6th April 2012, 17:25
Sharkie Price Sharkie Price is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 19
I served in both Waitemata and Waihemo in 1962 and 1963 when we were on trans pacific run as an O/S andA/B Sharkie Price ex naenae boy now living in uk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 7th April 2012, 02:50
garry Norton garry Norton is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 166
I can not remember the Waihemo doing 11 knots more likely 9 knots.
I was a cadet on her 1959, loaded sugar in Fiji and drydocked in Vancouver
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 17th October 2012, 01:36
garry king garry king is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1966
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8
garry king i sailed as deck boy on Waihemo 1963 with Sharkie Price lived in Lyttelton then now in Queensland

Last edited by garry king : 17th October 2012 at 01:39.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 21st October 2012, 03:19
garry king garry king is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1966
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8
ss waihemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkie Price View Post
I served in both Waitemata and Waihemo in 1962 and 1963 when we were on trans pacific run as an O/S andA/B Sharkie Price ex naenae boy now living in uk
Hi Sharkie hope you remember me. Shock to see your name and bought back many old memories. have'nt seen anyone for years. last saw you when I was on the Calm at Wellington I think you must have been on the shore gang. Hope all is well with you. Garry King ex Waihemo.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 4th November 2012, 01:08
rangiatea rangiatea is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
Hi Blair,

I am attaching an old photo of the Waitemata at anchor off Rarotonga that I took in 1965. I sailed as an ordinary seaman on both the Waitemata and the Waihemo in 1965/66 and would love to see any photo's of either ship that you might have received.

Regards, Tony Conroy
Hi Tony.,
My name is Marcus and I'm from Rarotonga..have u posted that old photo of the Watemata?..I'd really like to see it cos I've been looking 4 1 n can't find 1..

Thanks m8 ..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 28th October 2013, 00:15
Sharkie Price Sharkie Price is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory View Post
Hi Blair;

Can't help you with photos, and it may be the spelling for Waitamata is in question. The following is from the New Zealand Maritime Site, and hope this helps.
Cheers,
Rory

Vessel Name: WAIHEMO
Vessel ID: 1175581
Official No: 175581
Vessel Type: Steamship
Tonnage: 7,364 gross
Owner: UNION STEAMSHIP CO. OF NEW ZEALAND LTD.
Built: 1944
Engine: Steamship
Date of Fate: 1972
Type of Fate: Broken up
Vessel Abstract: Visited Auckland 44 times between 1 Jul 1946 and 3 Nov 1966 (not all visits may be recorded in this database).
Ex DOMINION PARK-1946, Ex FORT MACKINAC (L).
Renamed MARIA SUSANA-1966.

Vessel Name: WAITEMATA
Vessel ID: 1172876
Official No: 172876
Vessel Type: Motor vessel
Tonnage: 7,364 gross
Owner: UNION STEAMSHIP CO. OF NEW ZEALAND LTD.
Built: 1946
Engine: Motorship
Date of Fate: 1973
Type of Fate: Broken up
Vessel Abstract: Visited Auckland 50 times between 2 Jan 1947 and 5 Mar 1967 (not all visits may be recorded in this database).
Ex SELSEY BILL (L).
Renamed AMELIA-1967.


Vessel Name: WAIOTAPU
Vessel ID: 1144637
Official No: 144637
Vessel Type: Steamship
Tonnage: 6,035 gross
Owner: UNION STEAMSHIP CO. OF NEW ZEALAND LTD.
Built: 1913
Engine: Steamship
Date of Fate: 1948
Type of Fate: Broken up
Vessel Abstract: Visited Auckland 36 times between 3 Jul 1924 and 12 Feb 1943 (not all visits may be recorded in this database).
Ex STOLBERG-1919.
Renamed VICTORIA PEAK-1946, Renamed SHAHROKH-1946, Renamed DAH HUNG-1947.
There was a fourth one of the group, ex park boat, Canadian crewed and flagged, in union company colours, it was called the Wairuna I saw her several times in Vancouver ? or could have been port albernie Vancouver island Cheers Sharkie Price Ex AB on the NZ coast
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11th July 2014, 13:14
Petenz Petenz is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 1955
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkie Price View Post
There was a fourth one of the group, ex park boat, Canadian crewed and flagged, in union company colours, it was called the Wairuna I saw her several times in Vancouver ? or could have been port albernie Vancouver island Cheers Sharkie Price Ex AB on the NZ coast
I was a 18 years old and a Cadet aboard the Wairuna . My first ship with Captain Ostenfeld as master, and Mr Waite F/O. I remember Gin and Tonics with the officers at the Grand Pacific Hotel . Getting very drunk in Seattle at Christmas and climbing the foremast topmast to retain the flag that lost its Halyard, having snapped in the morning when I sent it up. I got soundly told off for that ! Being on the bridge when we were negotiating the mass of lights off Flattery which was the Salmon fishing fleet. Meeting huge seas off the same area when leaving Vancouver and seeing the port lifeboat lifted off it's bedding with the seas. Losing my brand new cap overboard in the gale. falling in love with a girl in Papeete, but French was never my strongpoint. Quinns Hut!! Memories!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 13th July 2014, 08:41
garry king garry king is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1966
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8
Wairuna

Interesting article on the Wairuna. I had heard of this vessel but never saw it. Next time I speak to Sharkie Price I must ask him re this ship. Thankyou for the story gives one a smile. Garry.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Search the net with ask.com
Support SN
Ask.com and get


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.