Bibby Line - Page 11 - Ships Nostalgia
20:15

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Bibby Line

Old 19th February 2012, 14:27
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1950 - 1961

In 1953 I was 2nd RO on the Derbyshire. On one trip the Ch Off was called Haggerty or Hegarty he was one of the quite old mates in the company at that time and hanging on for a command. I wonder if anyone knows if he did succeed. I remember how bitter Captain Young was having been master of the Warwickshire having to revert to Mate again for a while with the sale of the old Oxfordshire causing a displacement among the masters. Regards Roger
Old 19th February 2012, 17:14

Hello Roger,
The Chief Officer you are referring to would be Roy Hagley and yes he did eventually get command. I sailed with him on the Warwickshire when he was flown out to Colombo to replace Captain Thompson who had been paid off in Aden due to ill health.

Regards
John
Old 20th February 2012, 13:42
Active: 1950 - 1961

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Callon View Post
Hello Roger,
The Chief Officer you are referring to would be Roy Hagley and yes he did eventually get command. I sailed with him on the Warwickshire when he was flown out to Colombo to replace Captain Thompson who had been paid off in Aden due to ill health.

Regards
John
John, Thanks for info but the chap I am on about was definitely Haggerty or Hegarty. His wife actually used to address him by his surname when she was on board before sailing. He was a bit aged and probably never did get command. I recall him on Christmas Day trying to get us all to sing For He's a Jolly Good Fellow when the old man walked into the lounge - it was a dismal failure! Best regards, Roger
Old 12th May 2012, 21:54
Department: Deck
Active: 1972 - 1979

I was 3/O on the Lancashire from July to Nov 1977, having come from BP Tankers where I did my time. Looking at my discharge book it looks as though the captain was a D.Kimberley? I was then 2/O on the Dorsetshire until April 1978, captain seems to have been Reed. I then went to college to do my mate's ticket and left the company.

The Lancashire voyage was really interesting for a newbie to cargo boats all round europe and north africa and then Namibia and South Africa and back. I remember we were over a week in Durban, unheard of luxury for someone used to the instant turn around on tankers. Also several days in Cape town. I was very impressed that the coast of Namibia was so featureless as to have whalebones marked on the chart as objects of significance!]

On the Dorsetshire we shuttled maize from New Orleans to Novorossisk (Top right hand corner of Black sea), twice. Novorossisk was cold and dirty horrible place but the russian cargo supervisor there taught me all I ever want to know about russian alcohol problems: a game called "Bear" (well, presumably the russian word for a bear) where you all sit round a table and when someone shouts BEAR you all drink your glass of vodka and dive under the table. Then you resume your seat and repeat the whole thing until no one can get back up from under the table!

I was at Plymouth College with several Bibby cadets in the period 1972-76, but can only remember one name: Tim Leighton.
Old 13th May 2012, 23:52
Department: Engineering
Active: 1963 - 1983

Bibby Line

Hello Nina Baker, your name is familiar but I dont think we met. allow me to correct your recollections , the names you gave as captains ie D Kimberley and A Reed were both Purser/Catering officers. Captains did not always sign discharge books.

Regards Frank Moorhouse
Old 14th May 2012, 22:56

Hi Frank, Thanks for the correction. I dont have any recollection of any names from those ships and didnt even recall about the Cat Os signing people off.

N
Old 17th May 2012, 11:35
Active: 1966 - 1977

My location
Hi
I can confirm that Dave Kimberly was a purser/chstwd. Sailed with him on "Cheshire" 1968.

Best Wishes
Alan
Old 20th May 2012, 22:52

Anyone remember Joe Garner

I am his daughter and as a child my sister and I sailed with Bibby line on the Atlantic and Pacific Bridge. It was a very long time ago - late sixties early seventies - I remember an Irish Purser and I remember someone who used to recite the Lion and Albert.

We joined in Rotterdam and sailed to Vitoria on one of the trips. It would be great if anyone has any copies of the GAzette with his name. He died many years ago at the age of 55.
Thanks
Old 20th May 2012, 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie garner View Post
I am his daughter and as a child my sister and I sailed with Bibby line on the Atlantic and Pacific Bridge. It was a very long time ago - late sixties early seventies - I remember an Irish Purser and I remember someone who used to recite the Lion and Albert.

We joined in Rotterdam and sailed to Vitoria on one of the trips. It would be great if anyone has any copies of the GAzette with his name. He died many years ago at the age of 55.
Thanks
Hello Julie,

Was your Dad Chief Officer or Captain as I recall the name. I never sailed with him but am sorry to hear that he died. Please accept my condolences. I think the Irish Purser you mention would be Jack Traynor - he lived down in Killarney. I have sent you a private message re copies of the Bibby Line Gazette.
Regards
John
Old 21st May 2012, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie garner View Post

Thanks
I think some officer had his wife and two very small kids on the Dorsetshire when i was on her. It struck me as a nightmare for the mum trying to keep the kids amused and safe and quiet enough to not wake offwatch sleepers. I seem to recall that the kids often played in the empty swimming pool as they were safe there with their trikes and balls.
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:33
Active: 1963 - 1983

Julie Garner

Hi Julie, Here is some info from the Gazettes in my possession regarding your father,
Summer 1970 C/O Pacific Bridge,
Spring 1971 on leave,
Autumn 1971 C/O Westminster Bridge,
Spring 1972 on leave,
April 1973 C/O Atlantic Bridge,
Autumn 1973 C/O Pacific Bridge,
I hope this info is of some use to you
Regards Frank Moorhouse
Old 27th August 2012, 13:29

Hello everyone, I sailed on the Westminster Bridge on her second voyage, around 1969
Old 30th August 2012, 07:54
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1965 - 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Callon View Post
Hi Dick

Yes I do you remember you now that I know your full name. One of the other Cadets I seem to remember was Charlie Watts (not from the Stones). His Dad was either Staff Captain or Captain on one of the Saxonia Class Cunard Liners.
A fact that Captain Swift seemed to resent. All I ever seem to remember is the Cadets runnimng around with this or that book to sign which was a new directive that had been implemented. The Mate you are referring to was Mike Tyrrell, he had his wife with him, as Did Stan Harrison the Chief Engineer. I became good friends with Stan and his wife Edith, and stopped with them at their house in Scotland. Great guy.
Regards,
John

Greetings!!

I am new to the forum; pls accept my regrets as I stumble along.
John, you have an exceptional memory and the names you mentioned brought back memories of my few years with Bibby Line in the mid-1960s. Thanks!!! I sailed with you and Pete the electrician on a couple of trips ( West Coast, South America and Japan). During one of those trips, Chief Engr. was Stan Harrison and his wife Edit was also sailing with us. Are you still keeping in touch with them? It was one of my most enjoyable trip and I would like to contact them if possible.

John, Best Regards for Health, wealth and happiness to you and others that I have sailed with during those few years. WT
Old 13th September 2012, 12:58
Active: 1976 - Present

Found time at Bibbys

My recollection of time with Bibbys was meeting some great people and visiting amazing ports ....quite an adventure.

Started as Eng Cadet in Southampton in 76...and then

1978 Devonshire ...Gulf to Argentina shuttle
1978 Dart America ...xmas with bad scavenge fire and 3 days drifting
1979 Lancashire ...Europe/South America

1980 Staffordshire - maiden trip from Glasgow
1981 Devonshire - Bosun arm caught in skylight&hit a big wave and 12 guys air lifted off
1982 Herefordshire South Africa/Australia/Gulf ... had to change Doxford fuel pump crank on front of engine

Excellent time ...above jog any memories

Mike Moran
Old 4th December 2012, 15:08
Active: 1966 - 1977

My location
Merry Christmas

Hi all ex Bibby Liners.
Just a quick posting to bring our thread back up to the top and to wish you all a Merry Chirstmas and a healthy new year.

Best Wishes

Alan
Old 19th December 2012, 10:32
Active: 1951 - 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCardle View Post
DerekT. See picture gallery & enter Toronto City! You will see Her launch in Sunderland. Legend has it my Father built Her...............With the help of a few others.
LOL!!!
Old 24th April 2013, 15:07
Department: Navigation
Active: 1975 - 1980

bibby line

hi all just found this site hidden away ...sailed with bibbys 75...80 sips were worcestershire hampshire australian bridge berkshire yorkshire....berkshire ray ummins alias captain pugwash....haha sailed with so many good lads any one remember me
Old 25th April 2013, 02:51
Forever a Seaman
Active: 1956 - 1973

My location
My father went to sea with Manchester Liners but then sailed with Bibbys throughout the war.
Unfortunately I don't have the names of ships he sailed on but I know he was on a hospital ship.
I have attached a photo of him as second mate in 1942.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 029.JPG (201.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 19th June 2013, 13:19

Smile bibby line

I sailed on the Australian bridge from 3-12-75 to 19-3-76 did anyone sail on her on these dates please let me know .
Old 24th June 2013, 00:05
Active: 1964 - 1993

Hi Michael,
We sailed together on the Yorkshire. I joined as 3rd Mate on 12 Dec 1969 at Birkenhead and did the CSAV trip to South America. In all I did 3 voyages on her.Adrian Moore was the Master and I thoroughly enjoyed those West Coast trips although having to provide a GM for every arrival and departure was a bit daunting at first. Especially when you are discharging from the lower holds and loading copper bars in the shelter and tween decks. Talk about being thrown in at the deep end.Needless to say I flew through my stability papers!
I joined Esso in 1971 and spent 3 years with them and then spent the rest of my seagoing life on the coastal tankers around the New Zealand coast.
Where did those 45 years go? It only seems like yesterday.
Nice to catch up with you.

Keith Bodman
Old 24th June 2013, 10:27
Active: 1968 - 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofkent View Post
Hi Michael,
We sailed together on the Yorkshire. I joined as 3rd Mate on 12 Dec 1969 at Birkenhead and did the CSAV trip to South America. In all I did 3 voyages on her.Adrian Moore was the Master and I thoroughly enjoyed those West Coast trips although having to provide a GM for every arrival and departure was a bit daunting at first. Especially when you are discharging from the lower holds and loading copper bars in the shelter and tween decks. Talk about being thrown in at the deep end.Needless to say I flew through my stability papers!
I joined Esso in 1971 and spent 3 years with them and then spent the rest of my seagoing life on the coastal tankers around the New Zealand coast.
Where did those 45 years go? It only seems like yesterday.
Nice to catch up with you.

Keith Bodman

Hello Keith
I was on the Yorkshire Feb 68 to May 68 , I did sail with Adrian Moore but that was on the Warwickshire .
My nickname was Yogi.
Are your dates right?

Mike
Old 24th June 2013, 13:47

My location
Hi Keith and Michael F

A confusion of Michaels me thinks. I was the Michael that sailed on that Christmas voyage from Birkenhead on the 12th dec 69. I was 2nd Mate for the voyage. You might remember that we had railway carriages on deck for Valpariso.

I have some good photos of the trip if you are interested? do you remember who was Mate, For the life of me I cannot.

Good to hear from you Keith.

Best Regards

Michael Meredith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Valpariso coach dis.JPG (315.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 24th June 2013, 15:34
Active: 1968 - 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masirah View Post
Hi Keith and Michael F

A confusion of Michaels me thinks. I was the Michael that sailed on that Christmas voyage from Birkenhead on the 12th dec 69. I was 2nd Mate for the voyage. You might remember that we had railway carriages on deck for Valpariso.

I have some good photos of the trip if you are interested? do you remember who was Mate, For the life of me I cannot.

Good to hear from you Keith.

Best Regards

Michael Meredith

I noticed that Michael after i had posted.

mike
Old 26th June 2013, 04:23
Active: 1964 - 1993

Hi Michael,
Good to catch up after all these years.
I well remember the discharge of those carriages and getting the jumbo Derrick rigged up.
I believe the mates name was Preshaw.He later became a pilot on The Clyde.
I would appreciate any photos of that trip as I don't have any.

Kind regards,

Keith Bodman
Old 26th June 2013, 06:46

My location
Hi Keith

Will do.

Best Regards

Michael