Bibby Line - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
17:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Bibby Line

Old 23rd April 2007, 19:04
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1986

My location
Alan,
Thanks for the memories - yes I remember c/eng and a few cohorts going on board the German vl, borrowing a fork lift truck to do so if I remeber rightly And Hudson going to apologise and been made to feel a right heel.

The memories come flooding back

Richard
Old 23rd April 2007, 23:28

Warwickshire/Atlantic Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by M29 View Post
Must be. There was only one Captain Alan Hudson during to late 60's/Early 70's. I did two voyages with him, Worcestershire and Warwickshire spanning 1968/1969. I understand from his stories that he was a Cadet in WWII so must have been due to retire in the mid 70's
Best Wishes
Alan Melia
Hi Alan,

I was 3/O with you on Warwickshire ( I joined in Yokohama) and 2/O on Atlantic Bridge. You will remember our prolonged stay in Antwerp on Atlantic Bridge. Captain Hudson loved telling his stories - he loved them so much they had to be told twice or even three times over for effect! I'm now living in South Devon and recently met up with Dave Clayton for a few beers. In fact, I only found out by accident that we've been living only half a mile apart for the past 8 years. Mind you, the River Dart does form a bit of a barrier.

Best wishes to you,

Ken
Old 24th April 2007, 09:54
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1977

My location
Warawickshire/Atlantic Bridge

Hi Ken
Nice to hear from you. Yes I remember now, you had a full set in those days which I think you shaved off one day for a change! The Engines needed work so we spent time in Antwerp (William Tell came from Sulzer!). Then on leaving, we belted a cargo ship (Balto?) and put her in dry dock, meanwhile we took the engines apart again! Didn't the boiler go for the chop so we spent a week in Norfolk Virginia while the yanks rebuilt it? Have got some cine film of that voyage but can't remember many of the names. I think "Jumbo" Jones was master. The C/Eng was a nice bloke, can picture him now but can't recall name. 3/E "Dave" (played guitar so we formed a group!) We went to Port Headland Australia for ore. Anyway, let me know if you recall any of the others.
Best wishes
Alan
Old 25th April 2007, 16:22

Quote:
Hi Ken
Nice to hear from you. Yes I remember now, you had a full set in those days which I think you shaved off one day for a change! The Engines needed work so we spent time in Antwerp (William Tell came from Sulzer!). Then on leaving, we belted a cargo ship (Balto?) and put her in dry dock, meanwhile we took the engines apart again! Didn't the boiler go for the chop so we spent a week in Norfolk Virginia while the yanks rebuilt it? Have got some cine film of that voyage but can't remember many of the names. I think "Jumbo" Jones was master. The C/Eng was a nice bloke, can picture him now but can't recall name. 3/E "Dave" (played guitar so we formed a group!) We went to Port Headland Australia for ore. Anyway, let me know if you recall any of the others.
Best wishes
Alan
We did indeed spend a long time in Antwerp and even went to dry-dock after our spat with the Balto. I seem to remember a heap of scrap tubes and bricks on our poop as the boiler repairs progressed in Norfolk. As for personnel, Eric Jones was Master, Ron Neish was C/O, Roger Madison was 3/O, "Veal" MacNeil was Purser, C/E was Robertson? (plus wife) 2/Eng ??, 4/E was Willie?, 5/E was Phil? from Liverpool and J/E was Roger? from Bristol. Neish lives in Totnes but has had major health problems over the past 12 years. Came across Phil when he was 2/E on Mersey Bridge in Ghent in 1976.
Never mind the full set - I'd be content if there was hair on the top of my head nowadays! Do you remember the Aussie nurse who came to the ship in Port Hedland to update our vaccinations? She was given too much to drink and went back to her surgery with iron ore-coloured handprints all over her white uniform! Happy Days.

Ken
Old 25th April 2007, 17:57

My location
Atlantic Bridge

Hi Ken
As long as that nurse didn,t have a son called "Rusty", we are fairly safe. Thanks for the crew list, some of the memory has come into sharper focus. We had two 3rd Engineers, the one with the Guitar was Dave Barnes, the other I can see clearly but can't name (was that Willie?). I remeber Phil well, quite tall as I recall. We had a couple of Engineer cadets who no doubt went on to great things. Roger Madison, although overweight, was very strong and could do one handed push-ups. Remember we had some fun with the roulette wheel.
Any way, pass my regards on to any of the others you are in touch with.
Best Wishes
Alan
Old 28th May 2007, 03:30
Department: Navigation
Active: 1968 - 1993

Hi guys ,
a few of you have been talking about the Warwickshire and capt Hudson , i was on warwickshire twice jan 69 to sept 69 as deck cadet and march 71 to oct 71 as 3/0 . Have numerous pics scanned to pc from various bibby line ships of lads on board , unfortunately have forgot a lot of names , here is one of the warwickshire bar with capt hudson in it , anyone know the names of the others .

mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family photos 411.jpg (43.8 KB, 196 views)
Old 1st June 2007, 20:22

My location
Well, if anyone here is currently with Bibby Line might I ask that they contact their office to answer emails? *sigh* Several attempts to glean some info on MV Cheshire and not one single reply.
Old 2nd June 2007, 03:13

mv Cheshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kemble View Post
Well, if anyone here is currently with Bibby Line might I ask that they contact their office to answer emails? *sigh* Several attempts to glean some info on MV Cheshire and not one single reply.
Mike, contact "M29" on this site. Further back on this thread he mentions sailing on the "Cheshire". Maybe he can help you.

John T.
Old 4th June 2007, 12:58

My location
Warwickshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelF View Post
Hi guys ,
a few of you have been talking about the Warwickshire and capt Hudson , i was on warwickshire twice jan 69 to sept 69 as deck cadet and march 71 to oct 71 as 3/0 . Have numerous pics scanned to pc from various bibby line ships of lads on board , unfortunately have forgot a lot of names , here is one of the warwickshire bar with capt hudson in it , anyone know the names of the others .

mike
Hi Mike
You must have left Warwickshire in Hongkong the same time as I joined her (8/09/69). Yes that is indeed "Rock" Hudson in the corner of the bar but although some of the other faces are familiar, can't place any names. Hope you post more pictures, am in the process myself of digging out old slides for posting. Best wishes

Alan
Old 4th June 2007, 14:23

Quote:
Hi Mike
You must have left Warwickshire in Hongkong the same time as I joined her (8/09/69). Yes that is indeed "Rock" Hudson in the corner of the bar but although some of the other faces are familiar, can't place any names. Hope you post more pictures, am in the process myself of digging out old slides for posting. Best wishes

Alan
Hi Alan ,
yes i left in HK. Did we know each other it was only a small company , i used to go under the nickname Yogi ??
Will post more pics when ive sorted them for suitability if you know what i mean .

mike
Old 4th June 2007, 15:11
Active: 1936 - 1986

Hello Bibby Line crews,
Do any of you remember the Chippy Peter Hughes of Liverpool?
Peter served in many of their ships including some which are named in these postings.I would appreciate any replies..
Old 4th June 2007, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan mayes View Post
Hello Bibby Line crews,
Do any of you remember the Chippy Peter Hughes of Liverpool?
Peter served in many of their ships including some which are named in these postings.I would appreciate any replies..
Here is a picture of him

mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family photos 415.jpg (29.0 KB, 213 views)
Old 5th June 2007, 13:22
Active: 1936 - 1986

Hello Mike ,
Many thanks for the quick reply,and photo..PM on way..
Old 5th June 2007, 14:15

My location
mv Cheshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kemble View Post
Hi Mike
I see from another thread that you are trying to find out about a family death involving the Cheshire. I note you have had some Facts & Stats from other members.
Can I suggest (if you haven't already thought of it) contacting the "Liverpool Echo" Like most newspapers, they have a large archive and may be able to help.
Best wishes with the project

Alan Melia
Old 5th June 2007, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan mayes View Post
Hello Mike ,
Many thanks for the quick reply,and photo..PM on way..
Hi stan ,
have replied by email , just in case peter is 2nd from left , as you look at it , i hope i have the right person .Yes copy photo if you want or i can send to you .

mike
Old 5th June 2007, 14:45

Quote:
Here is a picture of him

mike
I was with him on the Herefordshire on her last voyage around 1968. The other names I can remember who were in our messroom were Arthur Briggs, Arthur Bridges and, both QM's.

Stuart
Old 5th June 2007, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart.Henderson View Post
I was with him on the Herefordshire on her last voyage around 1968. The other names I can remember who were in our messroom were Arthur Briggs, Arthur Bridges and, both QM's.

Stuart
Hi stuart ,
i left the herefordshire in november 68 , i was a deck cadet , i think williamson was the old man , dont remember anything about it being near to her last voyage though

mike
Old 6th June 2007, 00:30
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1986

My location
Yogi,
Does your family srill have the boarding house in Blakpool?

Dick
Old 6th June 2007, 00:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick S View Post
Yogi,
Does your family srill have the boarding house in Blakpool?

Dick
Hi Dick S,
you obviously know me can we talk by email or im

mike
Old 8th June 2007, 14:37

Quote:
Hi stuart ,
i left the herefordshire in november 68 , i was a deck cadet , i think williamson was the old man , dont remember anything about it being near to her last voyage though

mike
Checking on my discharge book last night, I was a year out. I joined her on 28 May 1969 in Liverpool and paid off in Calcutta on 28 July 69 which was her last voyage for Bibby.

Stuart
Old 8th June 2007, 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart.Henderson View Post
Checking on my discharge book last night, I was a year out. I joined her on 28 May 1969 in Liverpool and paid off in Calcutta on 28 July 69 which was her last voyage for Bibby.

Stuart
Stuart ,
i wouldnt worry about being only a year out , since joining this site and looking at my discharge book , the fist time in ages ive found ships that i didnt know id sailed on .

mike
Old 8th June 2007, 20:30

Any more men sailed with Capt Albert Young?
Old 12th June 2007, 17:58
Department: Engineering
Active: 1959 - 2003

My location
Photo in Warwickshire bar

The one with the beard facing the camera is Keith Hotham, later to be Cargo Engineer on the gas ships.

Don
Old 12th June 2007, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macd View Post
The one with the beard facing the camera is Keith Hotham, later to be Cargo Engineer on the gas ships.

Don
Thanks for that macd ,
name still doesnt ring a bell , i thought he was the sparks .
mike
Old 12th June 2007, 19:38

warwickshire / herefordshire

thought some of you ex bibbyliners might like these , sorry about quality but scanned fom old b&w , and had to resize to upload .

mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg warwickshire0001.jpg (73.8 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg herefordshire0001.jpg (108.2 KB, 86 views)