STAG LINE ..MV Ixia - Ships Nostalgia
19:38

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

STAG LINE ..MV Ixia

Old 24th June 2006, 11:29

STAG LINE ..MV Ixia

Hi Shipmates
Ive inserted an on board pic of Ixia in Japanese waters in July 1972 . i did two trips , so i was away from Feb till December started as JOS payed off SOS .Now profoundly deaf due to the constant chipping and scaling (joking)
Do any members have any external pics of this ship ? i only have the a sky fotos shot of her with deck cargo and a bow view.
I also wish to find out the final fate of the Ixia ,i know she was renamed Telemachus not Blue funnel!!!( Lebanese flag) in 1982. I bet Dave Edge can delve into his LLoyds Lists and enlighten me
cheers Ronnie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prs003.jpg (24.5 KB, 264 views)

Last edited by ronnie r : 9th August 2006 at 10:11.
Old 24th June 2006, 12:41
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Ronnie
Did 5 trips myself on the IXIA in the 70,s there a good website on the Stag Line by one of our members.

http://stag-line.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk

A good photo of her in the Welland Canal

http://www.wellandcanal.ca/salties/i/ixia/ixia.htm

Last edited by gdynia : 24th June 2006 at 13:01.
Old 25th June 2006, 04:24

Ronnie,
On 20 May 1985 "Telemachus", ex "Ixia", arrived Shanghai to be broken up.
Old 25th June 2006, 11:34

Mv Ixia

HI GUYS
many thanks for the info, i was aware of Oceantramp's Stag line site
i corresponded with him before i became a member of SN.
Regards Ronnie R
Old 5th March 2007, 20:54

Hi Guys.
I know I am reopening an old thread but I was just looking up anything on the "Ixia". This is the ship that cost me my deep sea ticket!
It was 1979, and I flew out to Montreal with a crew from the South Shields pool, I was joining as EDH. Anyway when we got to the port and I saw the old girl I couldn't believe the poor condition she was in.. talk about rust!!
Of course we hadn't yet signed the crew articles and there was no way I fancied 6 months on board so I refused to sign (along with 2 others?) and we flew back to Tyneside the next day. Back at the pool and a disciplinary hearing and I my registration was terminated! - After that I did a couple of years coasting before coming shoreside and joining the RAF.
Anyone else have this kind of experience? as far as I was concerned having not signed the ships articles I was entitled to turn down the ship and the old man in his day cabin was quite understanding (or has time mellowed my memory of the incident?). It seemed to me that if they did a crew change in UK waters they would have had a hard job getting a crew together, so what do they do.. they do it overseas and you lose your rights. Maybe I was just unlucky as it was 1979 and seamans jobs were becoming fewer and such indescretions weren't being tolerated. In my defence my previous ship had been the Shell vlcc tanker "Litiopa" and she was all shiny new!
Any other members out there ever refused to sign articles overseas? what was your response when you reported back to the pool?
Old 17th May 2007, 11:00

looking for a picture of the "Gardinia", was on her around 55 or cople of trips on the grain run,would be grateful
Bilbur
Old 17th May 2007, 11:23
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Bilbur

You will find Gardenia on here

http://www.hhpl.on.ca/GreatLakes/Doc...lt.asp?ID=c004
Old 18th May 2007, 16:40

My location
Gardenia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbur View Post
looking for a picture of the "Gardinia", was on her around 55 or cople of trips on the grain run,would be grateful
Bilbur
I have sent two photos of Gardenia to your E-Mail address but comes back delivery failed
Old 19th May 2007, 10:45

Re Gardenia send me a PM for email address. as I said would be grateful for a photo.
Bilbur

Last edited by K urgess : 21st December 2008 at 00:18. Reason: email address removed as per site policy
Old 21st December 2008, 00:14

MV Ixia

I have been looking through some old Slides & came across a few photos of MV 'IXIA' in Dry Dock on the river Tyne. The ship looks like it's came into a South Shields dry dock for painting but not sure when I took the photos. If anyone would like me to email the photos to them I can do that within 24 hrs. (email address removed as per site policy - MS)

Last edited by K urgess : 21st December 2008 at 00:16. Reason: email address removed as per site policy
Old 21st December 2008, 00:22

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandunn1944 View Post
I have been looking through some old Slides & came across a few photos of MV 'IXIA' in Dry Dock on the river Tyne. The ship looks like it's came into a South Shields dry dock for painting but not sure when I took the photos. If anyone would like me to email the photos to them I can do that within 24 hrs. (email address removed as per site policy - MS)
I've removed your email address so that you don't get inundated with spam.
You may have a long wait since the member hasn't been on site since November.
I'm sure the crew would enjoy seeing your pictures in the gallery.
Cheers
Kris
Old 22nd September 2009, 13:52

Re Ss Gardina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbur View Post
Bilbur
Hi My name is john morgan and I joined the Gardenia in May 55 at Purfleet on the Thames as an apprentice and was on her for just over twelve months we carried sugar at first then grain mostly from Canada. there is a good photo of her in the Welland canal in the stag line book at amazone I also have a good photo of her light ship going down the English channel perhaps we sailed in the old girl at the same time

Regards john morgan (wales).

Last edited by john morgan (wales) : 22nd September 2009 at 13:56.
Old 31st May 2010, 23:47

My first ship

hi all, I joined the Ixia as catering boy, i think just before christmas 70. She was offloading grain in Tilbury. I remember some of the grain had gone mouldy in the hold so some of the crew had to remove this by hand.
The shipping pool in South Shields said " It will be no longer than 6 months son", 9 months later I sgned off at Dunstain Staiths! Looking back thoug, for a young lad of 15, it was an enjoyable experience, in spite of a bad tempered 2nd cook! lol
Old 16th October 2010, 19:24

ixia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom56 View Post
hi all, I joined the Ixia as catering boy, i think just before christmas 70. She was offloading grain in Tilbury. I remember some of the grain had gone mouldy in the hold so some of the crew had to remove this by hand.
The shipping pool in South Shields said " It will be no longer than 6 months son", 9 months later I sgned off at Dunstain Staiths! Looking back thoug, for a young lad of 15, it was an enjoyable experience, in spite of a bad tempered 2nd cook! lol
are you tommy scorer?
Old 26th August 2011, 22:31

I was on the Photinia in 63, joined her Birkenhead, went to Canada for grain and back to B.H. She was built for cable laying, on the way back the mate asked who was coming on the next trip, she was going down to KiWi cable laying between the north and south islands I knocked it back and regretted it since, some of the lads who stayed ended up staying in KiWi.
Old 1st January 2012, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloxinia View Post
are you tommy scorer?
Yes, who is that??
Old 30th June 2014, 17:54
Active: 1979 - 1982

Mv Ixia

Hi I joined the Ixia as a JOS on the 23/01/80 in Brindisi Italy. Sailed to the Congo, Norway, Baltimore, Alexandria and paid off in Lisbon 02/06/80. She was an old rust bucket and there were holes in the deck which allowed you to see into the deck below. Good crew though and happy times.
Old 3rd July 2014, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL1962 View Post
Hi I joined the Ixia as a JOS on the 23/01/80 in Brindisi Italy. Sailed to the Congo, Norway, Baltimore, Alexandria and paid off in Lisbon 02/06/80. She was an old rust bucket and there were holes in the deck which allowed you to see into the deck below. Good crew though and happy times.
Must of past you on the gangway, as I paid off there. I joined her as a cadet and we had just been up to the Great Lakes before going to Brindisi.She was a rust bucket, but a very happy ship. I remember having the cabin above the Crews drying room, which really came into its own when it was -25 outside!
Old 5th July 2014, 00:02
Department: Navigation
Active: 1969 - 1984

Ixia 1972 now was that with Ossie Collins I remember being in Nagoya when Typhoon Helen hit and we riode out the storm in the bay. We had loaded in Peru I think!!
Old 6th July 2014, 12:11

Its surprising how quickly a ship deteriates,despite constant chipping and red leading.I was a deck apprentice on the Gloxinia in in 1966 when both the Ixia and Gloxinia were loading wheat in Bacomoeux(not sure of the spelling)in Quebec.We were on the same quay,but different sides.The Ixia looked the very model of technological design in merchant shipping,with its cut off stern etc.It towered over us on the Gloxinia.We went on board,and had a chat with apprentices Davy Ling and Steve Tong and toured the ship.Now most people call it a rust bucket ?Mind you it was only two years old then.