Ships Nostalgia banner

SS CUFIC (1900's)

7K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Lullabelle 
#1 ·
Hi,
Can anyone help?
I am looking for info/print of the SS Cufic (ex American of Leyland Line) of White Star Line. Can anyone help?
Thanks

#3 ·
CUFIC (White Star Line)
Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast. Tonnage: 4,639. Dimensions: 430' x 45'.
Single screw 13 knots. Triple expansion engines.
Four masts and one funnel.
Sold to Dominion Line in 1901. Renamed Manxman and then Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe.
Lost in 1919.
(Thumb)
Sorry Peter this is the only Cufic I can find,

#4 ·
Cufic II was built by Harland and Wolff Belfast in 1895 for the West India & Pacific Steam Ship Company as the "AMERICAN" In 1898 she was chartered by Atlantic Transport Line however in 1900 she was sold to the Leyland Line. In 1904 she was sold to White Star for their Australian service and renamed CUFIC when she made her first trip on 21st May. January 1924 saw her sold for scrap at Genoa however she was resold and placed back in service by Italian owners as the "ANTARTICO. 1927 saw her again renamed as "MARIA GIULIA" the name she carried until she was eventually scrapped in November 1932 at Genoa. I have a photograph but unfortunately it is not mine and I must therefore ask premission to post it from the copyright holder.

#5 ·
Sorry I should have included these details:
AMERICAN built by Harland and Wolff Belfast yard number 294 Launched 8th August 1895 delivered 8th October 1895 8196 gross tons.

#6 · (Edited)
Cufic

All

Thanks for the response/info. Its much appreciated.

Pete

PS I understand that there was an incident involving the ship in the Irish Sea about 1908 whilst under the command of Capt Smith of Titanic fame. Another vessel, I think called the Kentucky was involved.

#7 ·
Cufic - Kansas City

All

Thanks for the response over the Cufic... much obliged.
I added a P.S. to my earlier.
Apparently CUFIC was taken in tow by the 'Kansas City' after loosing power in the Irish Sea about 1908 whilst under the command of capt Smith of Titanic fame. A seaman from Kansas City was lost whilst trying to swim to the Cufic with a line.

Anyone got ideas/info detail on this incident please? (Read)

#9 · (Edited)
Cufic / American.

Details below from Miramar site. Not listed as Leyland line though. Have found a nice photo, send e-mail in PM if wanted. Ken.

IDNo: 1105345 Year: 1895
Name: AMERICAN Launch Date: 8.8.95
Type: Passenger/cargo Date of completion: 8.10.95
Flag: GBR
Tons: 8196 Link: 1600 Yard No: 294
Length overall: Ship Design:
LPP: 145.1 Country of build: GBR
Beam: 16.8 Builder: Harland & Wolff
Location of yard: Belfast
Number of
screws/Mchy/
Speed(kn): 2T-12
Owner as Completed: West India & Pacific S.S.Co Ltd, Liverpool
End: 1932

#10 ·
Cufic rescue by Kansas City

My Great Great Uncle was Captain Lewis, Master of the Kansas City. According to family legend he rescued Capt. Smith's (Later of Titanic). SS Cufic in December 1900.

After towing it from mid atlantic via Queenstown (now Cobh) nearly foundering on the Skerries near Dublin they made it to Liverpool. The whole thing taking about two weeks during a terrificly stormy winter.

The crew received a large salvage payout. Capt. Lewis built a house overlooking the Gorge in his home village of Cheddar and named it Cufic.
The dimensions of the verandah were the same as his own bridge deck. He paced this when on "Watch" during his retirement.

As a family we often wonder if he hadn't effected the rescue what might have been.....

#12 ·
Family connection

My Great Great Uncle was Captain Lewis, Master of the Kansas City. According to family legend he rescued Capt. Smith's (Later of Titanic). SS Cufic in December 1900.

After towing it from mid atlantic via Queenstown (now Cobh) nearly foundering on the Skerries near Dublin they made it to Liverpool. The whole thing taking about two weeks during a terrificly stormy winter.

The crew received a large salvage payout. Capt. Lewis built a house overlooking the Gorge in his home village of Cheddar and named it Cufic.
The dimensions of the verandah were the same as his own bridge deck. He paced this when on "Watch" during his retirement.

As a family we often wonder if he hadn't effected the rescue what might have been.....
Hi Matt, Capt Lewis was my great grandfather and what you outline about the Titanic is what we've heard but without the detail - can we contact you?

Nick Beard

#11 ·
Matt

The loop is complete.... a good friend of mine bought that house and lives there now! He has been trying to piece the history of the house together. There are so many 'nautical features' in the property. The verandah which you refer to was destroyed by fire a few years ago and has been replaced with one much bigger. It does have a fantastic view over Cheddar Gorge and across to Hinkley Point and Minehead in the opposite direction.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Hi,
I'm also related to Captain Lewis and am familiar with the story of the rescue of the Cufic. I researched the topic several years ago.
I also have a photo of Captain Lewis and his wife on the porch of the house mentioned above.
I found this article from the New York Times archives on the Internet today which might be of interest :

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F3081EF738591B728DDDAD0894D9405B818CF1D3

Sal
Hi
I lived in Cufic House from 2000 for a number of years but can’t remember when we sold it. At that time there was a framed history of the house hanging in the hallway. I seem to remember that it was never proved that Capt Smith (captain of the Titanic) was also Captain of the Cufic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.