Bengloe - Ships Nostalgia
16:28

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Bengloe

Old 20th September 2004, 07:50

Bengloe

One of the many ships built by Charles Connell for Ben Line.This was one of a series of fast cargo liners to be built in the late 50s/early 60s and was delivered in 1961.
She lasted all her working life with them and was scrapped in 1978.This was taken in London in 1974.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bengloe.jpg (14.1 KB, 299 views)
Old 20th September 2004, 15:15

My location
Hi
Yes very similar to BENLOYAL built in 1959.
Old 13th October 2005, 00:11

Benloyal held the record London to Singapore fot many years !! There was not a single srtaight plate on her hull, she was like a warship. But a lot of stability problems due to her design and fuel consumption!!! Captain MacGill was there for many tears
or years anyone remember him????
Old 13th October 2005, 03:03
Registered Member

My location
Sailed on the Benloyal on her maiden voyage, she was an incredibly miserable ship with a very unhappy crew, after my one trip on her I left the Ben Line because they wouldn't transfer me to another ship.

A house is only a badly designed ship
Old 16th October 2005, 22:14

Captain Mcgill by any chance???
Old 16th October 2005, 22:25
Registered Member

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBenarty
Captain Mcgill by any chance???
Just had a look at the discharge book and that is the name. I can't remember him and had nothing against him personally, it was really the whole ship and crew in general that I just didn't feel comfortable with.

As a matter of interest I've still got the 10 or so page brochure they produced when she was launched.

Old 16th October 2005, 22:33
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Ahoy,

Here the Benloyal;

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/425...oyal8uy.th.jpg
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 18th January 2006, 23:28

The Bengloe was my first Benboat, I did a coast on her in 69.There was a great crowd in the Engine Room, I the 2/Eng. was Davie Begg and the C/Eng. George...?(must look up my old Watching certs.) he had been torpedoed during the war and had some great stories.I think the block coefficient was under 0.6, the beam was still opening at the ford end of the Boiler Rm. and was closing at the aft end of the Eng. Rm. She had a Weirs P3 evaporator which was magic, sorry for getting all technical but having spent watch after watch on my previous ship trying to make distilled water I still remember this Evap was a joy to use.
Old 19th January 2006, 14:34

My location
Benloyal

Did four trips on the Loyal,Macgill was master,Jimmy Jamieson was the bosun,there was a chap Watt fae Aberdeen who had been there from her maiden.She was not to bad a ship then.Not very good at remembering names so am stuck.
Old 21st January 2006, 22:31
Registered Member

My location
Hi Wully,

I joined the Loyal as cadet on 3rd July 1959, I only did one trip on her as she was the unhappiest ship afloat particularly after ships like the Benvrackie and the Benattow.

I actually got an email the other day from the son of a ship surveyor who fell down a hatch in Hull on the day I joined her, he died 2 days later. His son was looking for information on his father's accident. The surveyor was apparently an ex Ben Line master.

Old 22nd January 2006, 20:27

My location
would that be number four hatch,it was very dangerous as the ladder was slotted in to the coamings
Old 22nd January 2006, 22:38
Registered Member

My location
I'm pretty sure it was number 1 hatch because I have a memory of when standing on the focs'l looking down I came very close to passing out at the tragic sight. Having said that I could be wrong.

I also have a vague memory of a shipyard worker being killed on her whilst she was being built.

Old 12th March 2006, 13:46

Benloyal

I sailed on the maiden voyage of the Benloyal as 2nd Mate. Captain Mcgill was a hard taskmaster maybe that is why the ship was not a happy one. The first mate was Andrew Syme and the 3rd mate Willie Fairley. The surveyor that died in Hull walked into the forecasle which leads into No.1 hatch which was open and he fell down the hold. There was also another death on the voyage out to Port Said that of a Chinese fitter.
Old 12th March 2006, 15:16
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Welcome NormMcfar to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer, you are now amongst the ex seagoing fraternity who left years ago but our minds are still there.
Old 14th May 2006, 18:40

Spent my first trip as junior sparks on " Benmhor " Joined in December 1961 and went Port Swettenham, Penang, Singapore and Bangkok. Chief sparks was John Crockett. Can`t remember the old man`s name, but we didn`t like each other.
Old 27th October 2006, 15:40

I joined the Bengloe in Hong Kong January 1977, we was running between the middle east and the Far East, we had a shipyard in Hong Kong for 3 weeks, did not pay off with much that trip
Eric Cardno
Old 27th December 2006, 08:56

Joined the Bengloe in Hamburg in 1974, my first ship, first ship I'd ever been on with exception of the ferry to the Isle of Wight. Still can't understand why we flew to Hamburg, we came to London the next day ! Docked in the West India docks, port side to. I've hated pineapple ever since that ship. Crushed pineapple,pineapple segments, pineapple cubes, pineapple juice, the lot. If it contained pineapple, we had it on that ship.
Old 27th December 2006, 11:55
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1972 - Present

My location
Believe probably the reason you joined in Hamburg was, at the time there was some Union rule.
If the ship did more than one continental port after coming from the Far East, the crew had to be relieved in the second one. May not have got it quite right, but it was something like that.I was on the 'Gloe in early '74 but joined in London.
Once signed off the 'Lomond in Rotterdam for similar reasons.
Old 27th December 2006, 12:13

dom

did'nt the Benloyal suffer some mine damage going up the river to Hamberg soon after she was built??
Old 27th December 2006, 12:55
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 2003

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
did'nt the Benloyal suffer some mine damage going up the river to Hamberg soon after she was built??
It was the Benlomond she was on her way to Hull from Hamburg and in those days you had to pass throuugh the minefied between Holland and Germany there was a safe channel anyway to cut a long story short one of the mine broke loose and the Benlomond struck it but lucky for her the mine was set for a 10knot ship and she was doing 18knots so the mine expoloded well astern of her. She suffered some minor damage to her stern plating which was repaired in Hull.
Tom
Old 30th June 2008, 00:54
Active: 1959 - 1979

My location
Tom I think it was Benvrackie, not Benlomond. It happened just after i joined the company.
Old 30th June 2008, 08:33
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 2003

My location
Dave
You are correct,I was on the Benmhor at the time
Tom