Aurora - Ships Nostalgia
02:05

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Aurora

Old 23rd September 2004, 14:43

Aurora

Not the passenger ship but the 150000dwt ore/oil carrier built at Sunderland in the mid 70s fitting out.
I think she is still sailing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aurora.jpg (16.9 KB, 99 views)
Old 23rd September 2004, 15:37

My location
I remember her as URGUP under turkish flag in 1994 now she is broken up!!!
Old 23rd September 2004, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanker
I remember her as URGUP under turkish flag in 1994 now she is broken up!!!
Sorry to hear she is broken up.Thanks for the news.

Last edited by Fairfield : 23rd September 2004 at 20:58.
Old 2nd December 2006, 17:06
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1968 - 1984

I sailed as R/O several times in Aurora and went back even more times as an electronics engineer with PEL. She was used a lot on the Kho Si Chang to Europe run carrying tapioca. Damn dust used to get everywhere causing loads of problems. Never eaten the stuff since I saw how it was handled and loaded! In those days it used to be craned onto the deck from barges and manhandled into the hold - all 150,000 tonnes of it! Took around 3 to 4 weeks loading.
Vibration was enough to shake several items of equipment off their housings! Still, a pleasant enough ship - at least you didn't have time to get bored. One of the few P&O BSL ships to have a forward facing cabin for the R/O.
I remember being flown out to the Canary Islands when I was with PEL to fix both radars which had given up the ghost. The ship had shaken so much a good portion of the X-Band waveguide had fallen off! Took some fixing.
Rgds
Derek
Old 2nd December 2006, 17:12
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1985

My location
Derek

quote: She was used a lot on the Kho Si Chang to Europe run carrying tapioca. Damn dust used to get everywhere causing loads of problems. Never eaten the stuff since I saw how it was handled and loaded! In those days it used to be craned onto the deck from barges and manhandled into the hold - all 150,000 tonnes of it! Took around 3 to 4 weeks loading.

if you view my gallery you'll see some pics of that very operation at Koh Sichang-- I rather enjoyed the experience!
Old 7th December 2011, 06:55

I loaded her in Kho Si Chang, we used the swimming pool for fresh water for the stevedores loading us. She was my last ship in P&O
Old 27th January 2012, 12:22

I was R/O on Aurora in 1978 when she was fairly new. An enjoyable trip with a good crowd on board, even if we didn't go anywhere interesting. I joined in Rotterdam where she was unloading the dreaded tapioca (which got everywhere - I was cleaning it out of the electronic gear for weeks!), then Tubarao to load iron ore, 42 days at sea to Japan to discharge and finally paid off in Singapore. The captain was Roly Marshall, who had just come from 2 years as permanent master on Ardmay on the US/Caribbean run. I don't think he was very impressed.
Old 25th November 2012, 23:43
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - 1979

I sailed on the Aurora, 1st trip as 4E and again as 1st trip 3E. Sailed from Dampier to Redcar as 4E where 2E's wife (from Sunderland) joined complete with car which was hoisted onto deck with cargo derrick and tied down to hastily welded fittings. My wife, mum and dad came to see me from Hartlepool with 4 pints of fresh milk and left with 2 litres of gin.
3E at the time was Cliff Fleming, my wife was in his cabin sewing up his trousers ready for him to go shoreside when I popped up from the engine room to say hello.
I couldn't pay off until Immingham because we were taking on bunkers, left there and I have got home quicker from Persian Gulf than that trip from Immingham.
Old 27th November 2012, 21:45
Department: Engineering
Active: 1975 - 1985

I have posted a few pics of her loading tapioca in 1978. I was the eng cadet on that trip. Cliff Fleming was a fantastic guy sailed with him as cargo a true gentleman.