Lamport and Holt Line/s ROMNEY - Ships Nostalgia
22:21

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Lamport and Holt Line/s ROMNEY

Old 29th September 2004, 14:08

Lamport and Holt Line/s ROMNEY

A very famous company was Lamport and Holt running to South America.This is their ROMNEY photographed in Glasgow in 1973.Being in the Vestey Group which also included Blue Star Line,the ships used to interchange causing confusion!Can/t remember if she had or was a Blue Star.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Romney.jpg (11.8 KB, 296 views)
Old 29th September 2004, 14:30

My location
Her sisterships were RAPHAEL -RONSARD and RAEBURN that became COLORADO STAR in 1958. I hope is good for you!!!
Old 29th September 2004, 20:51

Yes it is.Remember RAEBURN changing to COLORADO STAR and then back again I think!! Then something else became RAEBURN also?? Confusing!
Old 1st January 2006, 17:47

Romney Ronsard Raphael

Sailed on all three as third and second mate.
Romney was steam turbine and Raphael and Ronsard both motor.
I think the Ronsard was the newest of the three as she had windows rather than portholes on mates and engineers cabins, although from memory the actual accommodation very similar.
Good ships and crews who tended to stay on the same ship, unless going for a ticket or such like. I remember the master of the Ronsard and the chief engineer of the Romney as particular characters in different ways. Sailed on these and a number of other L&H ships in the sixties. Anyone with a good memory who was around at that time?
Old 1st January 2006, 19:46

Romney

Hello Georged,

I sailed with L+H in the sixties on Raphael, Ronsard, Rubens, Rossetti ( Ex Rubens ) and the Sheridan. I was 3rd Mate on both the Rossetti and the Sheridan.The Old Man of Sheridan was a Capt Wilson, and Rossetti was a Capt Souter.

The Old Man of the Rubens and later the Raphael was Capt Williams, Ch Engineer of Rubens was called Plant, cant remember his first name, 1st Mate, Jim Kerr, 2nd Mate Dick Lorraine, 3rd Mate Tim Abbott. , Captain of the Ronsard was Capt Benny Metcalf. Chief Eng of Raphael was Neville Pearson.

Captain Crebbin was the Marine Superintendent, and Captain Roberts and Captain Dickson were also Superintendents.

Raphael and Ronsard were sister ships, Raphael was built in 1953 and Ronsard in 1957. Ronsard was slightly different as you said with windows, she also had a slightly different model of Doxford engines, which suffered badly from scavange fires when pushed, other than that the two ships were identical in appearance. Raphael was the faster of ther two ships.

For your info Fairfield, Romney was built for L+H and served all her service life with them until being scrapped.

Built: Cammell Laird & Company Ltd., Birkenhead
Gross: 8237 Net: 4980
Dimensions: 470 x 63.4 x 28.3 ft
Propulsion: 2 x Steam Turbine, 8,250 bhp by builder
Completed: 5/1952 as Romney for Lamport & Holt Line Ltd.
Sold: 2/10/1978 to Shipbreaking Industries, Faslane

Regards

Chris Allman.

Last edited by Santos : 1st January 2006 at 20:01. Reason: Additional info
Old 2nd January 2006, 08:16
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Lamport and Holt

In 1961 I joined the "Lochwood", a 1,689 ton 12-passenger cargo vessel owned by Jos. Constantine of Middlesbrough, which traded from UK West coast ports (Glasgow, Liverpool/Birkenhead, Swansea, Port Talbot, Cardiff, Newport and Avonmouth) to the Western Mediterranean (Cadiz, Cartagena, M*rseilles and then all the Italian West coast ports to Sicily and then back along the North African coast - Tunis, Algiers and so on to Tangiers - on the way home. Lots of ports with plenty of likeihood of arriving or leaving outside normal daywatch hours.

Joining with me in Avonmouth was a new Chief Officer who, having served his time from apprentice with Lamport and Holts, realised that there were plenty of guys with Master's tickets with more seniority and had given up hope of an early promotion to Master. He reasoned that moving to a smaller, less prestigious, company would make him a big fish in a small pool and give him better chance of making his way. Being the two new boys aboard we had a bit of a chat on the bridge wing whilst heading down the Bristol Channel. He was quite excited to be visiting ports that he would not have got to with L & H and found the move to a much smaller ship a bit of a challenge.

He also had been much excited to be told that for the 6-week trip he would be allowed up to 125 GB pounds in overtime. In 1961 that was a very good deal - my whole monthly salary was only 28 GB pounds.

The following day I went out into the chartroom to deliver a weather message and found him in the depths of gloom. "I think I may have made a mistake leaving L & H" he said.

It appeared that he and the Old Man had been discussing how things would be run and, in passing, had asked how his 125 quid of overtime would be earned. To which the OM replied "Don't be so bloody stupid' that's not for you matey, that is the overtime budget for the entire deck crew. Think on that you don't exceed it." The realities of the short-sea trades suddenly hit home.

Ron Stringer
Old 5th March 2006, 20:24
Jim S Jim S is online now   SN Supporter

Constantine Line

Ron,
My uncle sailed as 3rd Engineer on Lochwood in the 1950's hence I was interested in your story.

I responded to a letter in one of the shipping magazines requesting some information on Constantine Line. - This was from a former Master (George Johnston from County Armagh) on Lochwood, Gartwood, Avonwood and Edenwood in the 1950's.
I sent him a photocopy of Constantine's Passenger Accommodation booklet.
He was apparently delighted. He says he was Master for 20 years with P&O "but they did not reach the pleasure of Constantine"

Despite sailing with Anchor Line, British Tanker Co, T & J Harrison, Macandrews, Port Line my uncle always seemed to have fond memories of his time with Constantine. Even when he left the sea his Chief Engineer now Superintendent would visit him when in Glasgow.

I attach a couple of photos of Lochwood, one a company postcard the other showing Lochwood in Govan Drydocks, Glasgow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lochwood.jpg (80.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg lochwood2.jpg (86.6 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by Jim S : 5th March 2006 at 20:27. Reason: addition
Old 5th March 2006, 21:56

My location
Lochwood

Jim,

Many thanks for that. I already had the postcard of her but the other shot in drydock is a beauty. Sorry I really can't remember the name of the 1st Mate from L & H (I wasn't just being diplomatic) but I do remember that the Old Man was called Hutchinson. Little chap, even smaller than me, with a typical little man's attitude problems. Took umbrage because I declined to paint the radio room and the radar mast! I suppose that because I was on my first solo voyage he thought that I would be an easy touch. I hadn't just come up the Ship Canal on a Guinness boat, as they used to say in Manchester, and left him in no doubt that my duties ended at the operation and maintenance of the Marconi equipment. The rest of the ship was his responsibility. Having said that, all the mates painted the wheelhouse and chartroom, each taking their turn and doing their share.

He got his own back by having the bulkhead outside my cabin chipped every afternoon when I was off watch.

I was only on the ship for the one trip, having to go home on compassionate leave but it was a good ship with good food and a great crowd. Mind you it was unlikely that I could have stayed (reluctance to paint was a major problem) because the regular R/O, who had been there for years, had recovered from his illness and was intending to return.

All the best

Ron
Old 28th July 2006, 23:10
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S
Ron,
My uncle sailed as 3rd Engineer on Lochwood in the 1950's hence I was interested in your story.

I responded to a letter in one of the shipping magazines requesting some information on Constantine Line. - This was from a former Master (George Johnston from County Armagh) on Lochwood, Gartwood, Avonwood and Edenwood in the 1950's.
I sent him a photocopy of Constantine's Passenger Accommodation booklet.
He was apparently delighted. He says he was Master for 20 years with P&O "but they did not reach the pleasure of Constantine"

Despite sailing with Anchor Line, British Tanker Co, T & J Harrison, Macandrews, Port Line my uncle always seemed to have fond memories of his time with Constantine. Even when he left the sea his Chief Engineer now Superintendent would visit him when in Glasgow.

I attach a couple of photos of Lochwood, one a company postcard the other showing Lochwood in Govan Drydocks, Glasgow.
Ahoy Jim,
Could this be the ex Avonwood1944 here seen as Yewpark1960,sorry for the quality of that piccie, had to work hard for an acceptable result[piccie over 40 yrs old]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yewpark1944 ex Avonwood1960 (Medium)-PSP.jpg (62.4 KB, 63 views)
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 29th July 2006, 22:04

Avonwood

Hi Ruud,
Yes, your photo is the former Avonwood of Joseph Constantine.
Built by Hall, Russell & Co. Aberdeen in 1944. In 1966 she was sold to John Stewart Shipping of Glasgow and renamed YEWPARK. Sold again in 1973 to Friendship Corp. Greece and renamed FILIA. Transferred to Cypriot registry and renamed ELENI M. On 23rd August 1973 she was wrecked on the Libyan coast enroute to Alexandria with a cargo of scrap iron.

The attached picture is scanned from a Constantine publication hence poor quality.

Best wishes,

Jim S
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avonwood.jpg (126.0 KB, 52 views)
Old 29th July 2006, 22:10

My location
Gartwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S
Jim, I know this is drifting away from the L & H thread, but I was taking to another retired Marconi man in the pub on Friday and mentioned the Lochwood. He knew the vessel well having been R/O on the Gartwood for 7 years in the 1950s and '60s. Small world.

Ron
Old 29th July 2006, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer
Jim, I know this is drifting away from the L & H thread, but I was taking to another retired Marconi man in the pub on Friday and mentioned the Lochwood. He knew the vessel well having been R/O on the Gartwood for 7 years in the 1950s and '60s. Small world.

Ron
It certainly is - for a small company Constantine seems to have been a popular one.

Jim S
Old 3rd August 2006, 20:26

Red face SS Bonheur - Lamport & Holt Line

Does anyone recall sailing on the SS Bonheur? I would like to know what she was like on the Liverpool/New York/South American route before WW2.
Old 26th March 2007, 19:00

Lamport & Holt

Fascinating to read all the comments and yarns about a company which played such an important part in my life.

All the male members of my family(except me) sailed with L & H.I did National service with RAF

My father was the first Bosn of the Ronsard when she came out in 1957 and he stayed in her until he came ashore in 1964.The first skipper was Willy Gillespie and his successor was Benny Metcalf. The Mate was ??Boyce a fine man.

My uncle Peter Collins was the Bosn of the Romney for many years.He had been captured in the Delambre in 1940 and was a POW in Marlag Milag Nord until 1945

All are now dead but the memories are still fresh
Old 26th March 2007, 19:18

High Jackc,

Benny Metcalf was skipper when I was on Ronsard in 1965. Cant for the life of me remember who the Bosun was though.

Kind regards

Chris.
Old 30th July 2007, 18:20
Department: Navigation

Hi Chris

Could have been Danny Crawley. He was there in 1969 when I sailed on the Ronsard (with Ben Metcalf).

Kind Regards
Peter
Old 30th July 2007, 18:35

Thanks Peter,

Name rings a bell but cannot put a face to him.

Chris.
Old 31st July 2008, 11:24

I joined the "Romney" in Dec 1958 in Halifax NS on the last of her Canada runs, we were then carrying cattle on deck in pens, in addition to general cargo. This trip ended in Apr 1959 down in BA when she then went back to her regular Lpl/ S America run, she was then skippered by Cpt Metcalfe. Later that month I was on her taking her to drydock in Govan, I did one more trip on her and left in July 1959, she was then under the command of Cpt Casey.
Old 31st July 2008, 12:15

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos View Post
Hello Georged,

I sailed with L+H in the sixties on Raphael, Ronsard, Rubens, Rossetti ( Ex Rubens ) and the Sheridan. I was 3rd Mate on both the Rossetti and the Sheridan.The Old Man of Sheridan was a Capt Wilson, and Rossetti was a Capt Souter.

The Old Man of the Rubens and later the Raphael was Capt Williams, Ch Engineer of Rubens was called Plant, cant remember his first name, 1st Mate, Jim Kerr, 2nd Mate Dick Lorraine, 3rd Mate Tim Abbott. , Captain of the Ronsard was Capt Benny Metcalf. Chief Eng of Raphael was Neville Pearson.

Captain Crebbin was the Marine Superintendent, and Captain Roberts and Captain Dickson were also Superintendents.

Raphael and Ronsard were sister ships, Raphael was built in 1953 and Ronsard in 1957. Ronsard was slightly different as you said with windows, she also had a slightly different model of Doxford engines, which suffered badly from scavange fires when pushed, other than that the two ships were identical in appearance. Raphael was the faster of ther two ships.

For your info Fairfield, Romney was built for L+H and served all her service life with them until being scrapped.

Built: Cammell Laird & Company Ltd., Birkenhead
Gross: 8237 Net: 4980
Dimensions: 470 x 63.4 x 28.3 ft
Propulsion: 2 x Steam Turbine, 8,250 bhp by builder
Completed: 5/1952 as Romney for Lamport & Holt Line Ltd.
Sold: 2/10/1978 to Shipbreaking Industries, Faslane

Regards

Chris Allman.
Rubens.
I did two trips on the Rubens in 1966/67 as Fireman/Greaser, I honestly cant for the life of me remember the Captains name or the Chief Engieer, Shows I was a good lad, all I remember is the 2nd/Engineer was of Greek origin if I remember rightly, Engine Room/Storekeeper was Johnny Williams, and my best mate for the two trips was a lad from Blackpool Charles Victor( Vic) Nichson or Nixon. Do these names ring any bells? Afraid I (we) didnt mix with the Brass a great deal up Hellfire Corner, Hamburg Bar, Scandi Bar. They tended to frequent a better class Bag Off Joint to us plebs.( Ha Ha Ha )
Old 24th July 2010, 17:54

Lamport and Holt

Joined what was affectionly known as "Maggie Booth's" in 1957 and stood by the Devenic before being sent to the Romney in Newport. We carried coal from Newport News Va. to Emden
Lamport and Holt displayed LH on the bows and were known as "Lousy and Hungry"
Compared to other companies, I found the wages with LH to be lower.
I left and joined Niarchos with a tremendois increase in wages.

canada tom

Last edited by canada tom : 24th July 2010 at 17:55. Reason: spelling
Old 11th December 2010, 11:13

Romney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfield View Post
A very famous company was Lamport and Holt running to South America.This is their ROMNEY photographed in Glasgow in 1973.Being in the Vestey Group which also included Blue Star Line,the ships used to interchange causing confusion!Can/t remember if she had or was a Blue Star.
I joined Booth Line ( Maggie Booths) Stood-by the Devenick and was transferred to the Romney. The parent company was Blue Star. L&H Funnel was tri-colour but I can't remember the colours. Chief engineer 1957 was Mr. Jamieson of Liverpool, quite well known.
We suffered severe hull damage in the Atlantic and after discharge in Glasgow proceeded to Liverpoll for dry-dock. My Jamieson was highly delighted that I stayed with the vessel,saving him a trip north that he had Blue Star pay me an extra day's pay.
Old 1st July 2013, 15:27
Department: Deck
Active: 1968 - 1979

MV Renior

Sailed on the Renior, Jan 69 - April 69. My first trip to sea, signed on as deck boy and paid 24 pounds/month. Our run was Liverpool-Swansea-Las Palmas (bunkers) - Montevideo - Buenos Aries - Porto Alegre - Santos - Rio - Salvador - Liverpool.

Heavy weather caused me to be laid up sea sick from Swansea to Las Palmas. Other than that the voyage was a fantastic experience for a lad of 16 years and 3 months old.

Cheers