Holmbury - Ships Nostalgia
18:27

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Holmbury

Old 20th August 2006, 16:32

Holmbury

I have a picture of 'Holmbury' which I will scan and post. I am looking for more information about this ship. My grandfather went to South America sometime between 1926 and 1938 and I'm wondering if it is likely that he was on this ship as i found the picture amongst old family photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holmbury.jpg (73.5 KB, 78 views)
Old 20th August 2006, 16:43
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Welcome loumorgan to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer. As a matter of interest there was a second Holmbury built 1943 ex Empire ship.
Old 20th August 2006, 18:07

My location
Louise, the Holmbury was built in 1943 by Caledon S. B. & Engineering Co., Dundee. She was a standard Empire 'B' class (and not one of the Ocean Class ships built by Todd California Ship Building at Richmond, California that some sources claim) originally named Empire Canyon and acquired by Houlders in 1946. She remained in the fleet until 1960 when she was sold and re-named Ilyasbaksh and broken up in 1970. – On this is basis she unfortunately does not seem to fit into the date schedule for your grandfather’s travels. We will need to help you find the right one.
Kind regards
Mark

Last edited by non descript : 31st December 2006 at 16:26. Reason: information on builders corrected thanks to Dave Edge's kind advice
Old 20th August 2006, 19:18
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1985

My location
Hi-- there is A "Holmbury" on photoships.co.uk-- whether this is the later "empire" class ship I could not say (but I think it carries the Houlder funnel), as I confess I am no expert on WW2 ships,but I guess it will be? There is info on rnsubmus.com relating to a book "U-Boat Captive" by JB Lawson which on p223 refers to the sinking of "Holmbury" in ww2 by U123 commanded by Horst von Schroeder-- thus, that MUST be the prewar ship to which you refer. There are 7 references to Holmbury in the convoy lists at warsailors.com.

I hope these give you a few "starters for ten" for research.Regards

Last edited by john shaw : 20th August 2006 at 23:23.
Old 20th August 2006, 19:48

My location
John is absolutely correct, the vessel I referred to above was the second Holmbury and the first one was built in 1925 as the Wirral, 1934 she was purchased by Houlders from Wirral Transport Co. and renamed Holmbury then in 1943 she was torpedoed and sunk in Atlantic. This date fits with your photograph circa 1938.

I would say that your photograph is very likely to be the 1925 built ship and possibly photographed as the Wirral and there has been an element of re-touching of the picture (adding the red and also adding the name HOLMBURY in white, but the technical ability to also add the Maltese Cross on the funnel was not available.

Last edited by non descript : 20th August 2006 at 19:56.
Old 20th August 2006, 20:42

Thank you very much for all that information. Is there any way that I can find out which routes the first Holmbury may have travelled pre war?
By the way the photo does look slightly touched up, like it has been coloured. It's quite a big photo, mounted, it looks like it used to be in a frame.
Old 20th August 2006, 22:24

My location
Louise, during the period you are looking at, Alexander Shipping Company Ltd., Owners of the Holmbury, were still independent (and remained so until 1946, when Houlders acquired full control) and were trading the ships in their own service, taking coal from South Wales to Argentina and then placing them in the hands of Houlder Brothers for loading homewards from the River Plate to the UK. Whilst it would seem very likely that the Holmbury was on that route, but I cannot be totally confident of that fact.
Old 20th August 2006, 22:41

Thank you. That certainly fits. My grandfather would have left Cardiff for South America and he definitely mentioned Buenos Aires.
I'll try the Public Records Office next and see if I can find his records.
thanks
Louise
Old 22nd August 2006, 21:45

My location
Louise, please let me know how you get one. In case of need, I have tracked down an Alexander Shipping Mole who might possibly have some information on previous ships and their routes, but he has gone on his holidays and only back in 3 weeks.
Old 22nd August 2006, 22:58

Thanks a lot for all your help and info. Hopefully I can get to the public records office in the next few weeks. My grandfather used to talk about his time in South america but of course I never asked him for details and it was only when I found the Holmbury picture that I started to wonder if that was his ship. I'm sure I remember once seeing a picture of him on a deck so I'll ask around the family and see if anyone has that picture.
Thanks again
Louise
Old 30th December 2006, 17:02

My location
Holmbury (2)

Thanks to Duncan Montgomery we now have an image in the gallery of Holmbury (II)

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...hp?photo=42287

Last edited by non descript : 18th June 2007 at 16:44.
Old 18th June 2007, 16:46

My location
A fresh image of Holmbury (II) has been added here
Old 26th August 2008, 15:19

Hello

Whilst helping my grandfather find some old documents this morning, I found his old argentinian disambarkation papers. My grandfather joined the Holmbury in Barry (South Wales) in 1937. He went ashore in argentina on 17 April 1937. He told me that the Holmbury regularly travelled between south wales and south america
Old 26th August 2008, 16:26

My location
Holmbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff seadog View Post
Hello

Whilst helping my grandfather find some old documents this morning, I found his old argentinian disambarkation papers. My grandfather joined the Holmbury in Barry (South Wales) in 1937. He went ashore in argentina on 17 April 1937. He told me that the Holmbury regularly travelled between south wales and south america
Welcome to the Site and enjoy what you find. Whilst I am sure you have worked it out, the Holmbury that your Grandfather was on, would have been the ship shown at # 5
Old 16th January 2014, 13:03

Holmbury II

Hi
I have today found a photo of Holmbury which I will attach. My father in law Charles (Charlie) Wells would have been one of her officers sometime between 1950 and 1960.
Does anyone remember him??
Mary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img318-Optimized.jpg (133.8 KB, 16 views)