Riversdale Technical College Liverpool - Ships Nostalgia
00:01

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Riversdale Technical College Liverpool

Old 3rd September 2006, 14:29
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Riversdale Technical College Liverpool

Today 3 rd Sept 2006 is 43 years to the day since I started my apprentice ship with Thos & Jno Brocklebank Limited at Riversdale Tech .
3 rd Sept in 1963 was in fact a Sunday and is the day I found the Aigburth Hotel while scouting my way around the college.

Any other " Aiggie " patrons of that era ??
Derek
Old 3rd September 2006, 15:12

Happy days, Derek, you struck gold on the first day. I heard a lot of "Aigee" yarns from a Scouse Electrician who was a regular. After starting study leave at Riversdale (about 15 years after you) I too bumped into the place. On my very first "session", in walked my Lecky pal - I never looked back! My niece attended John Moore University, the new look Riversdale Tech, during the early '90s and also became an Aigburth Arms fan. I hear it's still going but in a re-vamped style - maybe not to the taste of former patrons. I also hear that Riversdale is now a housing estate - that's progress.

John T.
Old 3rd September 2006, 15:56

Attendend Riversdale for three months each year 1965, 66, 67, 68 Aigburth Arms for a pie and a pint was favorite lunch or Scallop and chips from the chippy on the other side of the road.
Old 3rd September 2006, 17:13
Super Moderator

My location
I heard the Aigburth Hotel is long gone since they widened the road from where the old dual carrigway ended ( by the cricket ground ) right through to Speke.
The last night we were all in the front Lounge in 65 things got a bit out of hand and a piece of the wooden trim from behind the padded seat which went around the perimeter came away in my hand ?. Its probably the only piece of the place still in existance.
Old 3rd September 2006, 17:36
Super Moderator

My location
Corrction . I have just posted my Indentures in the Galery and found the date to be 62 not 63 . 44 years ago since I strted work ; what happened to the time !!!!!!!
Happy Days .
Old 3rd September 2006, 17:52

Came away in your hand Derek how could that have possibly happened
Old 9th September 2006, 14:51

My location
Aigburth Hotel Riversdale

Still the best pint of Guiness that I recall and the mushy peas and chips from the chippy not far from there kept us alive after sailing in the Mersey over the river at the Tidal Pool.

Prior to going to Riversdale I went to Dundee college of Technology in Bell Street with Captain Creelman as one of the tutors, head of college was Captain Alan Gardiner.

Stuart Watt was anothe Gadget as was Stewart MacDonald who I understand sailed with BP for quite a few years, any takers on current whereabouts of any these folks would be appreciated.
Old 9th September 2006, 15:43
Super Moderator

My location
Your local in Dundee would have been the " Bread " Bredalbane Arms . Jimmy Stirling was the owner.
Best pint in " The Aiggie " in the early 60s was a pint of "D" which I remember was diamond '; dont know who made it but it was strong and good .
The other favorite there was " brown mixed "
Old 9th September 2006, 15:58

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roger
Your local in Dundee would have been the " Bread " Bredalbane Arms . Jimmy Stirling was the owner.
Best pint in " The Aiggie " in the early 60s was a pint of "D" which I remember was diamond '; dont know who made it but it was strong and good .

Double Diamond, brewed by Ind Coop I presume?
Old 9th September 2006, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roger
In Bristol a mixture of half a pint of brown ale and half of bitter used to be known as a "brown split" - there were a couple of pubs around town where you wouldn't be game to ask for one!

John T.
Old 9th September 2006, 19:37

My location
Memories of the "Bread" are to say the least hazy!
Although I hailed from the three "j's" Jute, Jam and Journalism city, it was a parting of sweet sorrows on my first departure for my first trip of 18 months.

The times we spent at the boatshed, along the waterfront at Broughty Ferry, sailing and rowing the old whaler, which had to be brought back up the beach each time on wooden rollers over the stony beach, would now be classed as "barbarism" or at least cruelty. If we had any issues with what we were being asked to do the penalty was to carry one of theses rollers, a hefty lump of wood, whose name I forget, for 30 or 40 feet over our heads!

My other memory's of Riversdale (70/71) was living in a single occupancy room in the Tower Block with a view over the Mersey rather than the dorm style of living which a few of my other classmates had to do, I recollect they were apprenticed to an Irish outfit which had a red hand on the funnel, any takers as to the Company?
Old 9th September 2006, 23:50

My location
My other memory's of Riversdale (70/71) was living in a single occupancy room in the Tower Block with a view over the Mersey rather than the dorm style of living which a few of my other classmates had to do, I recollect they were apprenticed to an Irish outfit which had a red hand on the funnel, any takers as to the Company?[/quote]

Head Line?
Old 10th September 2006, 01:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
My other memory's of Riversdale (70/71) was living in a single occupancy room in the Tower Block with a view over the Mersey rather than the dorm style of living which a few of my other classmates had to do, I recollect they were apprenticed to an Irish outfit which had a red hand on the funnel, any takers as to the Company?
Head Line?[/quote]

Correct - Head Line with the Red Hand of Ulster.

John T.
Old 12th September 2006, 13:57

Happy days.

Spent many a night in the Aiggie. Fond memories of the young lassies from Calder Hall, I M Marsh and Notre Dame teacher training colleges!

John M
Old 21st September 2006, 17:29
Super Moderator

My location
I M Marsh !!!
The lassies used to follow Riversdales Rugby team during home games . One of our local fixtures was with the police cadets at their campus and they too of course frequented the Aiggie and went to I M Marsh dances .
There was intense rivarlry and the lads on both sides played up to the lassies
watching ( There was more boxing I think than rugby played on such fixtures
My brother Cameron who followed me at Riversdale met a young Lass at I M Marsh whom he married ( Poor lad had a shortened career with Brocks when he was required to " get a shore job " )
Old 21st September 2006, 21:50

Not just follow. I can remember a couple of games between the I M Marsh lassies and the Riversdale lads!
Seem to remember that there was always lots of ripped shirts.

The landlord of the Aiggie used to let us cash cheques (max £2). What we had to do before cashpoint machines.
That £2 wouldn't last long on a night out these days!.

Last edited by John-M : 21st September 2006 at 21:59.
Old 22nd October 2006, 12:56

I was at Riversdale from 64-66 and remember the Eggie well. The beer (Walkers of Warrington) was pretty foul and most people seemed to drink it half and half with a bottle of Brown Peter (also awful tack!). My digs were in Alma Road. I made a nostalgic trip back about fifteen years ago and was disappointed to discover that the new Eggy was an ultra-modern soulless sort of place - nothing like the establishment which lost all it's tables and chairs to a pyramid on the main road one Saturday night!
Old 10th May 2007, 13:35
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1977

My location
Riversdale 64/66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Neary View Post
I was at Riversdale from 64-66 and remember the Eggie well. The beer (Walkers of Warrington) was pretty foul and most people seemed to drink it half and half with a bottle of Brown Peter (also awful tack!). My digs were in Alma Road. I made a nostalgic trip back about fifteen years ago and was disappointed to discover that the new Eggy was an ultra-modern soulless sort of place - nothing like the establishment which lost all it's tables and chairs to a pyramid on the main road one Saturday night!
Hey Bryan, remember me? Where did you go after we left College.
I went into Bibby Line until 1975 when I swallowed the pick. Now teaching at City of Bristol College.

Alan Melia
Old 18th June 2007, 10:07
suspended

I was there, on and off, of course, from '74-9. Interesting place. There was a strange bloke who used to announce the time in the mornings over the loudspeaker system, in a very curious voice. The chippy (greasy annie's we called it) was terrible. But, once you've a few pints inside you, things like that didn't seem to matter!
Peter
Old 17th September 2007, 22:48

Mon Dieu! Cashing cheques! Me too. The landlord's name was Terrence Rattigan. No relation, I think to the literary genius.
Old 18th September 2007, 02:51
Super Moderator

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouan View Post
I was there, on and off, of course, from '74-9. Interesting place. There was a strange bloke who used to announce the time in the mornings over the loudspeaker system, in a very curious voice. The chippy (greasy annie's we called it) was terrible. But, once you've a few pints inside you, things like that didn't seem to matter!
Peter
When i first went to the "Chippie " across the road from the Aiggie I ordered a meat pie and chips and was astounded to find it full of potatoes ! With little meat . In Scotland Meat Pies actually had Meat as the main ingredient .

It was almost as bad as the " Mince " tatties and carrots and my digs . This was a sort of gravy with little mince ' lots of old wooded carrots served over a sloppy mashed potato mess . One of the lads took his dinner and put in in a bag and took to to Riversdale to our HR Rep who was also the PE teacher who had " recommended this place " Nothing happened so he moved ! I stayed as the land lady was deaf and we cou;d come and go as we pleased . Once I showed her how to make porridge ( with salt instead of sugar ) and then at least we had a hearty breakfast with porridge we could eat and the usual egg bacon and toast .
In retrospect we didnt do too badly on our pittance of a living allowance .

Three of us used to buy a loaf of bread and 6 pence of chips for lunch ; cut the loaf in 3 ( very accuratley ) then eat the innards of the loaf and stuff it with the chips and any sauce / butter we could get our hands on . Not too bad (a real Chip Buttie ) this was then washed down with a bottle of brown ale which cost 10 pence . The meal itself cost 1 shilling and 4 pence split 3 ways which meant someone was always a penny down !! On average it meant lunch was one shilling and three pence ( Including the beer ) We had our priorities set correctly I venture .
Happy days Derek

PS There was a bookie along the road called Joe French ; In my 2 year I became quit interested in th horses and managed to clean him of six pounds and change for a 4 shilling bet . He was not well pleased and had to scrape around the back of his drawer to pay me out ( I lived well for the next couple of weeks .) Also picked 3 out of the first four in the Grand National Team spirit ; Out and About and Purple Silk . I did not Pick Red Rum who I think ran 3rd . Again I did well but would have done great if I only knew how to bet forecasts !!!
Oh Happy Days
Old 18th September 2007, 08:38

Greasy Annies; of course: But on 'High Days' & 'Holidays' it was by bus to 'Chius' - toward the Dingle. Chicken & mushrooms in a foil container and yet another plastic spoon to add to the collection wedged neatly between the notice board and the wall in your 'cabin' at River House.
Old 18th September 2007, 20:49
suspended

My most memorable experience, circa 1977, Second College Phase, I think:
Thursday evening, after dinner, en masse, waiting for Top of the Pops in the lounge, watching Tomorrows World. There was an item about some new sailing rig for dinghies.
Engineer Cadet:
"Designed by an engineer"
Deck Cadets (plural):
"Electrical Engineer"
Engineer Cadets (all of them, shouting):
"At least he wasn't a Navvy!"
Deck Cadets (Full throat):
"At least he's been to sea!"
Silence from the Engineer Cadets, some of whom have up to another 18 months at college yet before their first trip.
Old 22nd April 2008, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-M View Post
Not just follow. I can remember a couple of games between the I M Marsh lassies and the Riversdale lads!
Seem to remember that there was always lots of ripped shirts.

The landlord of the Aiggie used to let us cash cheques (max 2). What we had to do before cashpoint machines.
That 2 wouldn't last long on a night out these days!.
Remember that well! Landlord's name was Terrence Rattigan - without literary illusions!
Old 27th April 2008, 02:37

Anybody remember the name of the chap who ran the domestic section at riversdale house. He always had a duffel bag over his shoulder.
Phil