Port New Plymouth - Ships Nostalgia
06:38

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Port New Plymouth

Old 5th September 2006, 20:59
Sandra

Lightbulb Port New Plymouth

Hello to everyone at shipsnostalgia.com. My only claim in the ship industry is my husband has worked in the Govan Yard since serving his time as a blacksmith....way back in the early 70's.
My question is....did the MV Port New Plymouth sail from the KGV dock before 1978..I was thinking about 1971/2?
S.

Last edited by benjidog : 5th September 2006 at 22:33. Reason: Spurious formatting characters removed
Old 5th September 2006, 21:13
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Smile Welcome

Sandra,
A warm welcome to SN. Stick around and enjoy the site - you are bound to find something of interest. We have members who have sailed with Port Line and I am sure they will be able to help with your query when they are next on line.
Old 5th September 2006, 22:35

My location
Welcome from the North of England Sandra.

I am sure one of our members will be able to answer your question.

While you are waiting, take a look around the site. If you have an interest in shipping there is a lot to see here.

Regards,

Brian
Old 5th September 2006, 23:40

Thumbs up

Welcome Aboard Sandra im sure you will have your answer shortly.
Bobby(Govan)
Old 7th September 2006, 21:16

My location
Port New Plymouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra
Hello to everyone at shipsnostalgia.com. My only claim in the ship industry is my husband has worked in the Govan Yard since serving his time as a blacksmith....way back in the early 70's.
My question is....did the MV Port New Plymouth sail from the KGV dock before 1978..I was thinking about 1971/2?
S.
I happen to possess the sea-life log of a Captain Andy McClounan. He was master of this ship when she sailed from K.G.v Dock on the 29th Nov. 1962!
Old 7th September 2006, 22:51
Sandra

Hi there and thanks for that info...now I know I am possibly right...the mv Port New Plymouth may have sailed from KGV at a later date than '62 and before '78.
Much obliged to you.
S.
Old 8th September 2006, 09:32

I certainly know she sailed in 78 from KGV (Shieldhall) coz I was on her!
Old 9th December 2006, 21:31

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra View Post
S.
hi
she was my first ship, i joined her as deck-boy christmas eve 1964 and stayed for 3 trips,great ship and yes i always shipped out of kg5.
all the best, john bonar
Old 11th December 2006, 09:31

Quote:
S.
I was on the New Plymouth in 75, we joined in Pireas in the March and paid off in Port Said in the September.I think the trip before she sailed out of KGV to South Africa, then to Pireas where we joined her.
Old 12th December 2006, 12:15

Yes, quite sure she did- she was a regular in Glasgow and used Plantation Quay where the Science Centre is now. There/s a pic of mine in the Gallery of what was to be her last departure from Glasgow in September 1978.
Old 13th December 2006, 08:02

My location
Anyone remember Peter Sommerville , 2nd.mate on the Port New Plymouth
for many years - early 1970's. Am trying to get him to sign up.

JC
Old 29th January 2007, 23:43

Quote:
S.
Hello Sandra,

I was fortunate enough to stand-by the building of Port New Plymouth in the Tyne in 1960. Following that interesting experience,i then sailed in her as Chief Officer for the first five voyages-from 1960 to 1963.

I was then promoted to Master of Port Quebec, and flew to Montreal with a full crew for a spell on the MANZ Line.

Getting back to PNP, she was built by Swan Hunter on the Tyne. I kept in regular telephone contact with Capt. Peter Pedrick at his home in Devon.

Others who stood by the building were: the Bosun, Jack Bremner, Chippy and Lampy, John Webber, 2nd mate- and the list goes on somewhat longer than my memory does.

If you would like any more information about PNP, please dont hesitate to ask.
Meanwhile,Gooday to all my young Port Line friiends, and to SN; could this count as my first "hello". ?

I shall be watching anxiously this afternoon- hoping for at least a credible reply to New Zealand from our woeful England cricket team- if you can call them that. As someone said the other day- we should send them home in chains...

Cheers everyone- and how did it take me this long to discover SN.?

Thanks to the message in Vintage Port yesterday about the sad photo of Port Launceston

Ron King
Old 18th June 2007, 14:45

Hello Sandra. I sailed on the PNP January to May '66 and am sure we sailed from KG5 to NZ. Hope this helps. Simon
Old 18th June 2007, 14:53
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

A belated greetings and a warm welcome to both Ron King and Port Line Lover it is a pleasure to have you both on site. Enjoy what you see and bon voyage.
Old 19th June 2007, 11:19

Hello Ron,
This is also my "first post". We met at VintagePort Brisbane 2006. I was Keith Davis's office boy in the New Plymouth office late '60s, early '70s. We were always very proud of the Port New Plymouth and I always enjoyed taking the mail on board. Hope the health's ok.
Best regards, Don
Old 19th June 2007, 11:29
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Don and a warm welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and all it has to offer. Bon voyage.
Old 3rd October 2007, 16:28

Yes, the "Port New Plymouth" did sail from the KGV docks before your dates as I "worked by" her there in December 1961.
Regards,
Vindi Phil.
Old 3rd October 2007, 22:11

My location
i sailed on pnp mid late 70s......avonmouth to s.a. (cape fruit run)......
captain mcmanus..........

lovely ship......good crew.

best regards........
Old 4th October 2007, 05:48

In Reply to your question re Port New Plymouth

Quote:
S.
In reply to your question re the Port New Plymouth.As this ship was built in 1960 she would almost certainly have sailed out of KGV London prior to 1978.I can recall seeing her there mid-sixties.
She was built by Swan Hunter-at Wallsend.No sister ships, but similar to Port Nicholson-1962.

I have no doubt this will be one of many replies you will receive.

Kind regards
Geoffrey P.(Auckland, New Zealand)
Old 19th May 2008, 20:01

Quote:
Hi there and thanks for that info...now I know I am possibly right...the mv Port New Plymouth may have sailed from KGV at a later date than '62 and before '78.
Much obliged to you.
S.
the port new plymouth sailed from KGV on many occaisions during the 60s and 70s
Old 6th December 2008, 15:56

My location
Port Line memories

Hi Ron.
Seeing your post re P N P, it brought back many happy memories of my time spent with Port Line. My last trip was from Jan to June 1960 in the Port Melbourne . Capt Pedrick was in command and Jack Bremner was bosun. They
were both going to stand-by the Port New Plymouth on the Tyne? I had
been in the Port Sydney, Vindex, Napier all deep sea, and the Port Pirie. and
Port Wyndham, round the land. Happy days. If I had to do it again I would
have went to Port Line years earlier to the exclusion of tugs, coasters etc.
Many thanks for jogging my memory.
Regards.
Alex C .
Old 19th December 2008, 15:56

Sandra

Regarding your question about the PNP at Glasgow I can confirm she was in drydock then KGV to load in August 1969 as I was third mate on her at the time

Regard
Peter
Old 6th December 2013, 11:11

Hello
I sailed on the madien voyage of the Port Newplymouth which was in 1961
tamic
Old 6th December 2013, 11:25
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamic View Post
Hello
I sailed on the madien voyage of the Port Newplymouth which was in 1961
tamic
May have met up in Napier I was on the Port Montreal at the same time. both were alongside to geather
Old 6th December 2013, 12:41

Quote:
S.
Sailed on the New Plymouth August/September 1964 with my brother Stuart Shields,he was S/3/Eng ( sailed deep sea I left to go to the St Lawrence) and I was 6th Engineer from Liverpool to the Tyne on it's gaurantee Dry Docking at Swan Hunters, twin screw ,Main Engines 2 x Sulzer RD750 nice ship, Allan generaters

Ianian