publications - Ships Nostalgia
16:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

publications

Old 18th September 2006, 19:35

My location
publications

Does anyone know of any other publications on Brocklebanks except the two that I have;Merchant Fleets[Duncan Hawes] and Ships in Focus[Clarkson&Fenton].Thanks for any suggestions.

Mike
Old 18th September 2006, 20:01

Brocks Books

Good evening Mike.

The best known publication on Brocklebanks is the two volume set by J.F.Gibson - "Brocklebanks 1770-1950", where Volume I covers to 1900 and Volume II the rest.

Alternatively, and less easily obtained is D.Hollett "From Cumberland to Cape Horn - The Complete History of the Sailing Fleet of Thomas & John Brocklebank of Whitehaven and Liverpool - 'The World's Oldest Shipping Company' and the early History of their Associated Company, Robert & Henry Jeffersons of Whitehaven ....Est.1734."

I think that Stephenson Clarkes of Newcastle might have something to say about the oldest shipping company epithet - but my loyalties are split in that I sailed with Brocklebanks and Stevies, and now am part of the Group that owns Stevies. On balance, I think young loyalties are stronger than those of later life, so Brocklebanks have the vote!

Best regards,

David Byrne
Old 18th September 2006, 20:23

My location
Thanks for your help David.

Mike
Old 19th September 2006, 11:17

I once heard that Brocklebanks laid their entire fleet up for a period. If so I would appreciate any information or comments.
Old 19th September 2006, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Breach View Post
I once heard that Brocklebanks laid their entire fleet up for a period. If so I would appreciate any information or comments.
Could this have been during the depression in the 30's I was introduced to Brocks as an apprentice eng by an ex Chief Eng who was very proud of the fact that Brocks never laid off any staff at that time.May be there is a connection there ...
Old 20th September 2006, 13:51

Brocklebank lay up

They laid up a few ships off Rothesay, and this was when they shortened the Magapur II, Manipur II,Mangaloreand Mathura