Cardiganshire - Ships Nostalgia
09:24

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cardiganshire

Old 12th October 2004, 13:25

Cardiganshire

Glen Line’s CARDIGANSHIRE (50/7724) at her berth in the King George V dock in London.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cardiganshire.jpg (77.6 KB, 195 views)
Old 28th February 2005, 19:53

MV Cardiganshire, ex- Bellerophon

I had more experience of this ship than any other Bluie or Glen. Over Xmas and New Year 73/74, we coasted from Hamburg to Liverpool calling at Antwerp and Swansea. She had by that time reverted back to her original name, Bellerophon, and when we joined her at Hamburg she had an ED Buff funnel which was painted blue and black in time for Xmas at Antwerp. However, she had been in continuous Glen Line service as the Cardiganshire from 1957-72 and had been known as the Glen Yacht.

The following year end my dad was asked to take her down to West Africa (again on an ED charter) at short notice (he was due to spend Xmas and New Year at home) and he agreed on condition that the Kremlin (India Bldgs, Liverpool) allowed my mum, sister and me to join him "deep sea', which they agreed to and subsequently changed their policy to allow families of Officers to accompany them on deep sea trips.

Her HK Chinese ratings had made the ship their second home and were characters, especially the No.1 Fireman 'Mighty Mouse', who was then above seventy.

A very happy ship, maintained to a very high standard, one of the last to maintain the varnished finish on her wheelhouse and bridgewings. Prior to her final trip to the breakers she was used in a movie production.

Last edited by Chief Office No.1 Son : 28th February 2005 at 20:55.
Old 21st August 2005, 20:53
Allan James

I think the film was "The man who fell from grace with the sea" Bellerophron was at anchor in Falmouth Roads when I made a rather hurried departure from my first trip as a Middy on the Polydorous, and I can recall the mate Tony Jackson saying about the filming. The Bellerophon was renamed BELLE of BOSTON for the film (nice easy paint job that!)

Last edited by Allan James : 29th October 2005 at 09:06. Reason: update
Old 30th January 2006, 20:30

"Bellererophon" was my first ship in Blue Flu'. Other 'A' boats I served on were "Antilochus", "Automedon", "Agapenor". Then there were the "D"boats - I was on "Diomed" & "Demodocus".
Moving up to the 'M' boats, I was on "Machaon", "Menestheus" & "Melampus".

Great ships, all of them, and I miss them like hell!
Old 13th August 2006, 11:11

Jay Gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorw3740
"Bellererophon" was my first ship in Blue Flu'. Other 'A' boats I served on were "Antilochus", "Automedon", "Agapenor". Then there were the "D"boats - I was on "Diomed" & "Demodocus".
Moving up to the 'M' boats, I was on "Machaon", "Menestheus" & "Melampus".

Great ships, all of them, and I miss them like hell!
Must be the trevor I knew. great shows in Japan, remember them.