Long lost shipmates - Ships Nostalgia
13:46

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Long lost shipmates

Old 27th October 2006, 19:26

Long lost shipmates

Lost contact with many of my ex Brocklebank friends I sailed with between 1957 and 1961. Can anybody remember such names as Keith Foster (RO), Don Eyre (RO), David Stone,Tom Montgomery, Terry Scarrot and Alec Prichard (all Deck Apprentices). Engineers - Arthur Plant, Peter Fuller.
Would be pleased to make contact again.
Also remember many parties in Calcutta with the Richin family. Main attraction
was the daughter Pam Richin. Often wonder what happened to her.

Tony Greenwood
Old 16th December 2006, 15:18
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G.Greenwood View Post
Lost contact with many of my ex Brocklebank friends I sailed with between 1957 and 1961. Can anybody remember such names as Keith Foster (RO), Don Eyre (RO), David Stone,Tom Montgomery, Terry Scarrot and Alec Prichard (all Deck Apprentices). Engineers - Arthur Plant, Peter Fuller.
Would be pleased to make contact again.
Also remember many parties in Calcutta with the Richin family. Main attraction
was the daughter Pam Richin. Often wonder what happened to her.

Tony Greenwood
Hi Tony,
Last sailed with Alec Pritchard when he was Mate of the Luxor in 1974. I gathered that he then went to the Sultan of Oman's navy after that... Would be great to make contact with him again..
Old 17th December 2006, 19:52
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1975

My location
I did my second trip as a chota marconi sahib with Keith Forster (his name has a "r" in it). He was a quite outstanding individual in every respect and I owe him a great deal in that he taught me how to be a good R/O which was something I had not been taught on my first trip. He was a great character and a very popular shipmate. This was in 1964 and I kept in touch with him by GWZM Radio Schedules and occasional letters for a while and then he went on to Cunard passenger ships and I lost touch. I did hear a rumour that he married a wealthy passenger but I cannot confirm that.

The only only other one from Tony's list I sailed with was Terry Scarratt. He was C/O on Mahsud on my last trip with Brock's when we were on charter to Mitsui in 1969/1970. I have no idea what happened to him.
Old 18th December 2006, 00:09
Department: Electrician
Active: 1963 - 1975

Coasted with Keith a couple of times Tony,wasnt' he the chap with the hearing aid?A very nice guy. Terry had a very good lengthy article in Sea Breezes a few years ago on the Maihar/Mahsud and their virtues.He was then an "old man" in some other company if I remember correctly.Didn't realise you left Brocks after that trip.
Old 18th December 2006, 12:30

My location
Don, no Keith did not have a hearing aid as far as I can remember and as an R/O I'm sure it would have been obvious to me with wearing headphones. Keith's most memorable visual attribute was a rather smart goatee beard, I believe I have a photo of he and I outside Hikkaduwa Rest House at home, I will dig it out and post it. He was a great character and would launch into an excellent version of "The Lambton Worm" when he had had a few. I have the fondest memories of him and would love to re-establish contact again.
Old 18th December 2006, 15:49

Tony! Another stupid senior moment! I was thinking of Ken Fawcett.

Don
Old 18th December 2006, 22:57

My location
I have found the picture of Keith and I that was taken at Hikkaduwa Rest House in Ceylon. If you haven't been there this is is a lovely quiet spot with a fine beach and one of the Government run Guest Houses that cost absolute washers to stay at. It is about two thirds or three quarters of the way between Colombo and Galle and it may well have been damaged by the tsunami as it is in exactly the area where all the damage was caused.

This would have been taken in late 1964 during another prolonged stay in Colombo. The original slide was very dark and I have had to manipulate this quite considerably in photoshop to make it visible, albeit it looks a bit artificial but you can now see Keith's features.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img031.jpg (127.0 KB, 89 views)
Old 19th December 2006, 12:39

My location
Brocklebank did indeed have an R/O, Ken Fawcett, who wore a hearing aid pinned to the front of his pullover. I took over from Ken on the Manaar when I did my first trip as acting Burrah Marconi Sahib in January 1964.

John/gwzm

Last edited by gwzm : 19th December 2006 at 17:24.
Old 8th April 2007, 17:07

Hi all,

Nice to hear some familiar names, I'm still in touch with Alec Pritchard and he has been sailing as Master with Canadian Gypsum for at least twenty-odd years. Last time I heard was December last year when he was Master of Gypsum Centennial, he lives in Digby, Nova Scotia.

Cheers,

Alan
Old 11th April 2007, 18:00

My location
Thinking about it a bit more I think I sailed with Alec Pritchard as well but the grey cells keep letting me down. Can anyone describe him and that might narrow it down a bit.
Old 12th April 2007, 15:30
Active: 1960 - 1967

Alex Pritchard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Selman View Post
Thinking about it a bit more I think I sailed with Alec Pritchard as well but the grey cells keep letting me down. Can anyone describe him and that might narrow it down a bit.
I sailed with him on the Masirah in 63. He was approx 5' 9", broad shouldered and in the mid 60's, had short cropped fair hair. He came from Birkenhead or the Wirral, and I think his family ran an undertaking firm as I remember him arriving dockside with all his gear in a hearse!! A very good shipmate, who as 4th mate suffered terribly under Capt Simpson on the Masirah. Clearly he got over it all, as unlike most of us he has stuck out a cereer at sea right through to retirement. He must be 63/64 now.
Stan
Old 12th April 2007, 16:49

My location
Now I remember the name. I actually went to school with an Alex Pritchard and that was on the Wirral. I have no idea what his family did but that would be about the right age. I wonder if he went to sea and I did not know about it.
Old 12th April 2007, 17:06

My location
Quote:
Don, no Keith did not have a hearing aid as far as I can remember and as an R/O I'm sure it would have been obvious to me with wearing headphones. Keith's most memorable visual attribute was a rather smart goatee beard, I believe I have a photo of he and I outside Hikkaduwa Rest House at home, I will dig it out and post it. He was a great character and would launch into an excellent version of "The Lambton Worm" when he had had a few. I have the fondest memories of him and would love to re-establish contact again.
Would Keith Forster be "JK" from Durham. RO on Mawana in '68. My last trip as sprog.
Old 12th April 2007, 17:22

Quote:
Now I remember the name. I actually went to school with an Alex Pritchard and that was on the Wirral. I have no idea what his family did but that would be about the right age. I wonder if he went to sea and I did not know about it.
Tony, when I left MATRA in Aug 64 I spent the next year until Lucigen(Hells spells!) coasting and then you ended up with the same crowd a lot of the time and I got to know Alex. rather well. His mother had a florists shop in Birkenhead and I also visited his Gran at the family home where I went round the chapel etc.A lovely guy was Alex,many stories to tell. So if you read this Alex. please respond.
Old 12th April 2007, 18:23

My location
Hugh, that is exactly correct. Keith's initials were JK and he came from somewhere near Durham if it was not Durham itself.
Old 22nd June 2007, 09:40
Active: 1966 - 1984

Well, well... Alan Lord,
Long time no see.... Send my salaams to Alec, next time you're in touch with him...
All the very best,
Marcus