"H" ships - Ships Nostalgia
02:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

"H" ships

Old 2nd November 2006, 00:27

"H" ships

Hello,

I am bulding a model of the "Hector" and have received very useful information about deck fitting colours but now need further help.

Can anyone advise the type of hatch cover fitted to the Hector?

Also, does anyone know what style of cargo winch was used? (i have been told that Scott equipment was used, but do not know if the winches were "standard" or "Corrector" types.

What type of lifeboat launcher was used?

Finally, any info on the windlass (steam.electric,hydraulic, make?).

To be honest, at the scale of this model, the differences are not likely to be noticeable to 'joe public'.

On the assumption that I ever get it finished I would like to get it right, I may just bump into one of you at the pondside.

best regards.
J.
Old 2nd November 2006, 07:24

Jankers, I coasted Hector in the '50's.
Remember she was carrying whale-oil in her deep tanks.
My memory tells me all BF "H" class used bog standard hatch boards and canvas covers at this time.
Somewhere in my SN input is a source for the pink boot-topping asked for by another model maker.
I'm sure you'll get the answer to the rest of your questions soon.
Old 2nd November 2006, 11:56

Try www.rhiw.com. They have a section on Blue Funnel which includes some ships plans
Old 3rd November 2006, 12:45

Thanks folks.

R651400, thanks you for that, I did imagine they would be 'manual' but it's nice to have it confirmed.

Trevoew, already tried them, all to often the plans only stipulate "suitable fittings" or some such, and it's left to the builder to decide .

I have also tried Blu flu organisation without success, hence this post. I'm just hoping someone might remember otherwisw I shall just have to model a 'period fitting'.

J.
Old 7th November 2006, 15:09

winches would be electric.
Old 9th November 2006, 10:52

Thanks John G,

Any idea what make?

J.
Old 9th November 2006, 23:10
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1989

My location
All the ships that I sailed on from 1952 to 1956 had Laurence Scott winches.I was on the "Ixion" which was a sister ship of the "Hector"
Old 10th November 2006, 02:41

Much obliged Trader, now all i need is to find out if
they were the "standard" or "corrector" variety.

J.
Old 10th November 2006, 17:36

My location
Winches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankers View Post
Much obliged Trader, now all i need is to find out if
they were the "standard" or "corrector" variety.

J.
Jankers, what is the difference?.
Old 12th November 2006, 04:13

Trader,

From what I can gather the "Corrector" was a little smaller, possibly due to the fact that some of the workings were fitted in an adjacent deck house.

Perhaps the most striking (visual) difference is that the "Standard" had a control box on top of the drive shaft, at the 'operator' end, whilst the opposite end of the drive shaft had an enlarged diameter.

The "Corrector" type's drive shaft has a constant diameter after it leaves the 'operator' end.

Sorry if this is vague, i shall try to scan some pics.

J.
Old 13th November 2006, 13:19

Quote:
Hello,

I am bulding a model of the "Hector" and have received very useful information about deck fitting colours but now need further help.

Also, does anyone know what style of cargo winch was used? (i have been told that Scott equipment was used, but do not know if the winches were "standard" or "Corrector" types.

To be honest, at the scale of this model, the differences are not likely to be noticeable to 'joe public'.

On the assumption that I ever get it finished I would like to get it right, I may just bump into one of you at the pondside.

best regards.
J.
See my posting for shot of H class model
regards,
Jim
Old 14th November 2006, 22:16

What can I say.

If you are the J Pottinger (and can it be otherwise) whose article on the Hector published in Model Boats mag in 1972, then it's your article which has lead to this model being attempted.

I stumbled upon the mag some years ago, and, always having liked the look of the BF ships, decided to depart my usual time frame of late 19C/early 20thC and have a go at this model. At the time I imagined that detail data would be more easily available but it seems that , once a ship has been passed on or broken, then the documentary history also disappears.

I am left with another problem, however, as the style of winch modeled is unknown to me; my only source is the pics and drawings in John Bowen's Book "A Ship Modelmakers Manual", which show the typical Scott winches, ie the 'T' style.

Do you have any further information?

J.
Old 18th November 2006, 07:42

Jankers, Doubt you'll need it but pictorial proof of "H"class hatch covers!
Good luck with the project.
Malcolm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ixion.jpg (58.2 KB, 51 views)
Old 18th November 2006, 10:08

Many thanks Malcolm.

That's a great shot, now I even have some idea how the rigging was arranged for discharge.

And to think I once worked in the East India Docks, I should have paid more attention.

J.
Old 18th November 2006, 12:25
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Jankers, there were alot of ship models in Blue Funnel's offices (India Buildings) in Liverpool, my brother tells me that the models might be in a museum in Liverpool. It might be worth a look.

Cheers Frank
Old 18th November 2006, 17:43

My location
Hatch Tents

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Jankers, Doubt you'll need it but pictorial proof of "H"class hatch covers!
Good luck with the project.
Malcolm
Sorry Malcolm,

They are not hatch covers but cargo tents used to cover the hatches quickly in the event of rain. It could take ages to cover up a hatch, putting beams in place then putting hatch boards on, by then the cargo would have been damaged, hence the tents. They were quite easy to put up using the ships derricks but you had to go around periodically bailing them out if they didn't fit properly.

Trader.
Old 18th November 2006, 19:33

Trader,

That's useful info.
The pic seems to have been taken outbound, was there a point at which hatch covers were removed prior to/after docking? Also, do you know of any books/video's that detail discharge procedure? The latter would be very useful as detail pics are hard to come by and fixing points for block & tackle are a mystery to me.

It's not until you start to build a model that you realise just how much 'ship general knowledge' quickly gets lost as technology moves on.

Frank, thanks for that, i learned only the other week that there was a museum in Liverpool, also something in Manchester that exhibits mechanical items. Thats a bit far to travel at this time of year but will be on the agenda next spring.

J.
Old 19th November 2006, 07:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
They are not hatch covers but cargo tents used to cover the hatches quickly in the event of rain.
Trader.
Thanks info Trader but are the "tents" not the very same canvas used to cover the hatches after the boards were in place?
Had my Hong Kong basket covered in this very same material by Senior Middy on "Glenbeg," painted grey and tied with signal halyard, I passed it on in the '80s
still the best seaman's trunk ever.
Old 22nd November 2006, 18:32

A long shot, but it might be worth a try. Contact, "The Ocean Nestorian Association", a body of ex-Blue Funnel and Glen Line personnel, both sea-going and shoreside, including many Odyssey Works guys.
They publish a monthly newsletter to members, and you could enquire in this.

Jim Hurst is their Newsletter Editor and you can reach him at:-

ONAeditor@aol.com

Regards Trevor w
Old 25th November 2006, 00:52

Thanks Trevor, it may be worth a shot, will try him later.

J.
Old 5th January 2007, 16:03

My location
Quote:
Hello,

best regards.
J.
The hatch board type with canvas is correct.
I know this as I was hit in the leg and paid off in Belfast 1971 with internal bleeding because of said hatch boards.