Clfford Pier Singapore - Ships Nostalgia
07:22

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Clfford Pier Singapore

Old 8th November 2006, 12:47

Clfford Pier Singapore

To all those lads who remember Clifford Pier, Singapore.
I paid a small trip there a month ago and found to my dismay that Clifford pier is to be turned into a restaurant. see attached pic along with one of the much changed Change Alley.

For the Hong Kong lads a pic of a Jacky tailor suit which for some strange reason never went to the Sally Army. I guess all you lads will know why.

What Hinnie! throw oot me Jacky Tailor suit. Good God lass have lost yer marbles.

Cheers.
Succour

I can't seem to attach the Pics so will try the Gallery. See you there I hope.
Old 8th November 2006, 12:55
gdynia gdynia is online now   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Was there 2 weeks ago myself big changes
Old 8th November 2006, 20:01

Never mind Clifford Pier and Change Alley! Have you tried to find the new sanitized Bugis Street?!!!
Old 8th November 2006, 20:37

Singapore

I stayed there for two and a half years back in 1974.I bet there is a lot of changes since then.
Gazza.
Old 9th November 2006, 02:58

Singapore

I spent a couple of months there last year and earlier this year working by a new build at Keppels Yard. I couldn't believe how the place has changed and in fact is still changing. I was first in Singapore in 1971 on a salvage tug (it was our base) We used to stay in a seamans hotel called Connell House (or some name like that) I remember Bugis street, Clifford Pier, Cellar Bar, Toby's Paradise etc. etc. It was great then but I'm a bit uncertain now. Someone mentoned the word "sanatized" that just about sums it up to me but at least you can walk around at night without fear, they certainly won't tolerate crime of any sort.
Ray Jordan
Old 9th November 2006, 04:24
Super Moderator

My location
Ray
Spent a week their on holiday a fortnight ago. First time back in 4 years but massive changes in walking around the old haunts. Seems to have lost the atmosphere as well.Not many good places left for us now these days. You back in GOM
Old 9th November 2006, 04:36

Singers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdynia View Post
Ray
Spent a week their on holiday a fortnight ago. First time back in 4 years but massive changes in walking around the old haunts. Seems to have lost the atmosphere as well.Not many good places left for us now these days. You back in GOM
You are dead right about Singers, I felt pretty much the same as yourself walking around. The metro is very impressive though, a comfortable and cheap way to get about. Yep I'm back in the GOM on the 'Safe Concordia' on Pemex charter. Rumour has it that Prosafe are taking over the rig early January.
Ray
Old 9th November 2006, 19:59

Clifford Pier

Hi Succour,

Yes it has changed totally, spent time there in 1959 around Keppel
Harbour.
Had a holiday there in Dec 1993, Bugis Street was wholly sanitised
with the name being retained to draw the "tourists".
In the Gallery under Habour Craft there is a shot of Ho Cheng at
Clifford Pier preparing to undertake a harbour cruise.
I understand that she has now sunk.

Cheers
Archie.
Old 9th November 2006, 20:24

My location
Talk about changes in Singapore: you should have seen it in September 1945, like I did IN the EMPIRE CAPULET. Hugh Ferguson.
Old 9th November 2006, 21:29

My location
My memories of Clifford Pier are concentrated around a couple of weeks spent at anchor, awaiting a berth, in the Blue Funnel liberty, SAMCREE during that chaotic poste war period in late 1946.
Captain Radar Robb was making his first voyage in command and he seemed to know an awful lot of people in Singapore who liked nothing better than being entertained aboard the SAMCREE. As a result there was a huge amount of coming and going which involved me and my fellow middy (Alan Railton), manning the motor lifeboat, taking people on board and ashore at all hours of the day and night. So, despite getting our usual day-work call at 0530 every morning we were frequently toing and froing to Clifford Pier at, it seemed, almost anyone's beck and call, and that often included quite a bit of hanging about waiting at the pier for the next guest, or guests to arrive.
Alan and I were never once invited to any of the get-togethers and, on hindsight, there might have been a very good reason for that! Alan eventually became a master but, sadly, died a few years ago. The 3rd Mate, Ian Jackson, also died recently. Hugh Ferguson.
Old 10th November 2006, 02:06
Super Moderator

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARRANMAN35 View Post
Hi Succour,

Yes it has changed totally, spent time there in 1959 around Keppel
Harbour.
Had a holiday there in Dec 1993, Bugis Street was wholly sanitised
with the name being retained to draw the "tourists".
In the Gallery under Habour Craft there is a shot of Ho Cheng at
Clifford Pier preparing to undertake a harbour cruise.
I understand that she has now sunk.

Cheers
Archie.
Archie
Just come back from Singapore theres two vessels now running the harbour tours Ho Cheng 11 and Ho Cheng 111.
Old 10th November 2006, 08:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJordandpo View Post
I spent a couple of months there last year and earlier this year working by a new build at Keppels Yard. I couldn't believe how the place has changed and in fact is still changing. I was first in Singapore in 1971 on a salvage tug (it was our base) We used to stay in a seamans hotel called Connell House (or some name like that) I remember Bugis street, Clifford Pier, Cellar Bar, Toby's Paradise etc. etc. It was great then but I'm a bit uncertain now. Someone mentoned the word "sanatized" that just about sums it up to me but at least you can walk around at night without fear, they certainly won't tolerate crime of any sort.
Ray Jordan
Ray, It was indeed Connell House; complete with 'cold only' showers and Helen the receptionist who married a 2/E, a menu that never varied and that damned, hypnotic, nodding ostrich toy behind the bar. When it closed and Uncle Joe put us in the Mandarin, we thgought we had died and gone to heaven. However, it was Toby's Bar and the Seamens Paradiso just up the road. Mind you, after a few Tigers in each, I suppose it all blurred into one. One thing - why does Tiger never taste the same at home??
Old 10th November 2006, 08:15
Super Moderator

My location
Barry

It does if you buy it from Macros as it comes direct their from Singapore, anywhere else it is made on license. You spend a few bob more but its the genuine article.
Old 10th November 2006, 08:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdynia View Post
Barry

It does if you buy it from Macros as it comes direct their from Singapore, anywhere else it is made on license. You spend a few bob more but its the genuine article.
Gdynia, thanks a lot for info. I'll give it a try. Now if you can just tell me where I can get it on draught and it tastes like it did in the Cellar Bar after Mr Lam had reluctantly given us our laundary allowance........
Old 10th November 2006, 08:54

tiger - tastes great - but the after effects are terrible!
Old 10th November 2006, 09:28
Super Moderator

My location
Barry
Never seen it in draft in the UK but no harm in doing a search
Old 10th November 2006, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Taxis View Post
tiger - tastes great - but the after effects are terrible!
Mark, Are you sure it was Tiger and not Tiger Balm that you were drinking?

BarryM
Old 10th November 2006, 22:14

My location
The change that got me was the Brit (Brittainia) Club. I was in Singapore as a kid (11 Yrs old), and remember many a Saturday and Sunday going there.

Returned to Singapore beginning of this year and thought I'd look the place up, it is (was) directly opposite the front of Raffles. Building is still there, but swimming pool filled in to make way for a Metro station.

And I was too young of Burgis Street so no comments, though I did visit it.

All in all I remember a very different Singapore, English Colonial rule in it's demise. Good living for us, not so good for the "natives".
Old 13th November 2006, 23:05
Robinj Robinj is offline   SN Supporter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Succour View Post
I paid a small trip there a month ago and found to my dismay that Clifford pier is to be turned into a restaurant. see attached pic along with one of the much changed Change Alley.

For the Hong Kong lads a pic of a Jacky tailor suit which for some strange reason never went to the Sally Army. I guess all you lads will know why.

What Hinnie! throw oot me Jacky Tailor suit. Good God lass have lost yer marbles.

Cheers.
Succour

I remember Clifford pier paid of there when we laid up a small Shell Tanker (the Frenulina) in 1961 also stayed in Connell house. Hope to visit Singapore one day.
Old 14th November 2006, 08:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
Ray, It was indeed Connell House; complete with 'cold only' showers and Helen the receptionist who married a 2/E, a menu that never varied and that damned, hypnotic, nodding ostrich toy behind the bar. When it closed and Uncle Joe put us in the Mandarin, we thgought we had died and gone to heaven. However, it was Toby's Bar and the Seamens Paradiso just up the road. Mind you, after a few Tigers in each, I suppose it all blurred into one. One thing - why does Tiger never taste the same at home??
Barry
I stand corrected, Toby's Bar it was. I remember one of them would stay open for an extar hour (can't remember which one, Toby's I think) Seamen of all nationalities would flock there for the final hour before getting the last boat back to the anchorage. it was bedlam but a good laugh. Being on a salvage tug we spent a lot of time at anchor and the 'coca cola' girls would do the rounds of the anchorage then crash out in our supernumeries cabin. I remember one young deckie being 'entertained' then realising he didn't have the funds. The Old man paid the lady and put it on the lads bond bill, how's that for class?
incidentally I heard that the original "Tiger Balm" lotion actually contained opium, obviously this was banned in the UK. Anyone know when?
Ray Jordan
Old 14th November 2006, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJordandpo View Post
Barry
I stand corrected, Toby's Bar it was. I remember one of them would stay open for an extar hour (can't remember which one, Toby's I think) Seamen of all nationalities would flock there for the final hour before getting the last boat back to the anchorage. it was bedlam but a good laugh. Being on a salvage tug we spent a lot of time at anchor and the 'coca cola' girls would do the rounds of the anchorage then crash out in our supernumeries cabin. I remember one young deckie being 'entertained' then realising he didn't have the funds. The Old man paid the lady and put it on the lads bond bill, how's that for class?
incidentally I heard that the original "Tiger Balm" lotion actually contained opium, obviously this was banned in the UK. Anyone know when?
Ray Jordan
Ray,
How did the Old Man describe the lady's services in the ship's accounts?
BarryM
Old 14th November 2006, 12:23
Banned

Tiger Balm still remains the most effective pallative for itchy mozzy bites.
Old 18th November 2006, 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Succour View Post

Cheers.
Succour

Clifford Pier!-Is this Johnsons Jetty that we are talking about?
Alan Wareing.
Old 7th January 2007, 07:29

Sorry to hear about the demise of old Singapore. Not only was I brought up there but I had the pleasure of sailing there several times in latter years.
I have thought of revisiting but I think I rather have my memories of the raffles hotel, Ireland Club, singapore swim club and the old seaview hotel
It was a great place to live.
Old 7th January 2007, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Garrett View Post
Tiger Balm still remains the most effective pallative for itchy mozzy bites.
Geoff,

Are you rubbing it on? Some people were alleged to drink it!!

BarryM