Bank Line Apprentice-Alan Ching - Ships Nostalgia
20:30

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Bank Line Apprentice-Alan Ching

Old 25th November 2006, 08:50

My location
Bank Line Apprentice-Alan Ching

I wonder if anyone knows an Alan Ching who took up an apprenticship with Bank Line in mid 1961, we attended the Mercury together and briefly met up on the east african coast later the same year, I was with Moor Line's Exmoor at the time. Last I heard of him was in the mid 70's when he was attached to the RN ( I think ) in Scotland. Should anyone have contact with him I would appreciate it you could get him to contact me via SN. Thanks for taking the time to read my requst, kindest regards Anthony Legg 4465
Old 26th November 2006, 08:27

My location
Anthony, how scary is this , I was reading articles in an October 1998 edition of sea breezes only yesterday and as an ex anchor line employee i payed particular attention to your article. Well I think it was by you from Western Aussie.
I also sailed on the hazelmoor along with many others on this site,and you were looking for info on your voyages for a personal history to pass on to your grand-children ,did you have much success.
you also mentioned you had an accident on board the Hazelmoor ?
Hope you get some info on your recent request.
Regards

Firey
Old 27th November 2006, 12:33

My location
Sea Breezes 1998

Hello Firey, thanks for your note regarding my request to that magazine so many years ago. Yes I have an amazing response which included letters and voyage details for all the trips I made, and in fact it led to me meeting up with the 3/O on the Exmoor, we were living only three streets apart here in Perth, Western Australia. A third party told John Sabourn that I was here and a phone call got us together, he was on his honeymoon back in 1962 and took his wife across to the continent on the Exmoor, his wife still remembers me bringing her a bacon sandwich which did nothing to help her seasickness!!.
The accident refered to on the Hazelmoor is still very vague, I remember sailing from Townsville where I jumped ship only to be returned just before we sailed. The next port was to be Aden for bunkers, but somewhere between the two I lost all memory, I guess it was some sort of breakdown, anyway to cut it short I awoke in the RAF Hospital at Steamer Point and was subsequently returned to the UK DBS for futher hospital treatment. Yes it is strange how things work out, whilst at the time it seemed that the world had come to a stop, things have a way of reshaping futures, and I've never really looked back. Thanks for the interest, it would be nice to catch up with old sea school friends, but theres been no response to that request. Seasons greetings to all, regards Tony.
Old 12th February 2009, 12:54
Waighty Waighty is offline   SN Supporter
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypad View Post
I wonder if anyone knows an Alan Ching who took up an apprenticship with Bank Line in mid 1961, we attended the Mercury together and briefly met up on the east african coast later the same year, I was with Moor Line's Exmoor at the time. Last I heard of him was in the mid 70's when he was attached to the RN ( I think ) in Scotland. Should anyone have contact with him I would appreciate it you could get him to contact me via SN. Thanks for taking the time to read my requst, kindest regards Anthony Legg 4465
Alan Ching joined the RMAS as an AB and worked his way up to Mate but since further promotion was long and involved he joind the Admiralty Salvage Corps. He and I worked together for a few years at Rosyth on Admiralty moorings and aids to navigation. He also spent much time overseeing ditched aircraft recovery from the sea. By the early 90s he was p****d off with the machinations of the Ministry and left to take up residence in France. He did-up and old farmhouse and rented it out to British holiday makers. After this I lost touch with him.

You could try contacting the Chief Salvage Officer at Foxhill in Bath - he would know where Alan was.
Old 30th July 2010, 13:40
Waighty Waighty is offline   SN Supporter
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypad View Post
Further to my last. Alan emigrated to New Zealand having left France following Kays' death from cancer a few years back. Ex colleagues of mine have told me that he now lives alone in NZ, smoking and drinking in no small measure and for all intent and purposes has "given up". Such a pity if true. I worked with Alan for five years or so when both of us were based at Rosyth in MoD days - good chap all round.