ss British Ranger - Ships Nostalgia
19:14

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

ss British Ranger

Old 29th November 2006, 12:00

My location
Post ss British Ranger

I'm talking about the 271,000 Tons dwt one built 1975 ish. Unusually I think BP kept her all her life, i spotted her on a LLoyds List as sailing for scrapping (in Pakistan I think) at the end of 97 or 98.

I sailed on her as acting J/E January to June 79, slow-steaming to the Gulf and back.

Believe it or, if you put British Ranger into Google you don't get a single reference to this ship, so if anyone has a picture of her i would be very grateful.

For the record i also sailed on the Hawthorn, Security, Forth, Avon, Dragoon, Marun and then the Security again, from Poplar college in 1975 to voluntary redundancy in 1982.

Cheers, and keep those lamps swinging,

Nick
Old 29th November 2006, 12:58
James_C James_C is offline   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation

My location
The Ranger was actually the last R boat to go, went to scrap in China in 2000.

S.T. British Ranger
133035 grt, 108525 nrt, 265617 dwt
ON 366000
338.64 x 53.68 x 20.727 (draft)
Two Steam turbines manufactured by the shipbuilder, double reduction geared to screw shaft. 34000shp
23.08.1975 Launched by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd., Nagasaki for the BP Tanker Company Ltd. Yard Number 1740.
20.01.1976 Completed and handed over to Solamole Ltd (BP Tanker Co Ltd. as managers).
1981 Managers restyled as BP Shipping Ltd.
1999 Owners Restyled as BP Shipping Ltd.
05.2000 Delivered to Xin Hui Shipbreakers, China.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg British Ranger.jpg (49.2 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg British Ranger1.jpg (38.4 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg British Ranger2.jpg (36.9 KB, 178 views)

Jim
Old 29th November 2006, 13:01
Malim Sahib Moderator

My location
And a couple more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg British Ranger3.jpg (58.9 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg British Ranger4.jpg (56.2 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg British Ranger5.jpg (64.3 KB, 160 views)

Jim
Old 30th November 2006, 23:04

My location
Thanks for the pics, she had that strange sky blue finish below the waterline when i sailed on her.

Nick
Old 4th December 2006, 22:01

Hello Bignick.
saw your post and finally got round to joining the forum, I was lucky enough to be in nagasaki when she was built, my father was engineer superintendant when the R class was being built, I have all of fathers photos (including the official company ones) as well as some of mitsubishi heavy industries, I was fortunate enough to go out on sea trials on her (aged 14) and those memories have stayed with me ever since. I was given free run of the shipyard by the MHI big cheese, Mr Ichikawa, against fathers wishes, absolute bliss....
Old 21st January 2007, 21:44
Kevan Weetman

I joined the Ranger in Eurport in the October of 1980. She had been used as a storage tank whilst work was carried out on storage within the refinery. I had packed to do the Gulf and froze in the winter conditions.

Paid off on 8th December just before she sailed. The only thing that moved whilst I was there was the steam cargo pumps. The Ch Eng was from Leeds and was married to a girl from Nagasaki by my recollections.
Old 17th November 2007, 00:46

British Ranger

Hi all, I joined the Ranger (first trip) at Capetown in 79, and there were were 16 engineers on her including 5 cadets, (Hosain Jaffarian, if your still about get in touch), and as someone else mentioned, the Chiefs wife was Japanese, she taught me how to pronounce Mitsubishi correctly. She (the ship, not the chiefs wife!) then had the turbine set that she was built with. I seem to recall a particular 4th Engineer, Nick Pugh, who's mad antics still remain with me to this day! As the only ship in the fleet I ever sailed on twice, strangely, my new wife joined it as her first ship (as an officers wife) in Capetown in 82, by which time she had a Sulzer RND9 research Diesel engine fitted. Somewhere I have a load of pics from my years at sea, I'll scan them and post them up if their of any interest.
All for now
Old 19th November 2007, 16:26

Hi All,
Firestyx, are you sure about the Sulzer ? I joined the Ranger as a J/E in Curacao in March 82, sailed (slowly) to Ulsan in Korea and then on to Singapore for a drydock. It was supposed to be a 3 week drydock but it was cut down to 2. Managed to get one afternoon off !!. We then sailed for the Gulf where I paid off in July 82. She still had turbines then. Did my Seconds then took the money and ran. Still slightly bitter about not being able to at least get my Chiefs.
Funnily enough I recently joined Sulzer but their pumps division not the marine engine side.
I have a few pictures which I will get around to scanning one day.
Regards
DaveO
Old 19th November 2007, 16:31
Malim Sahib Moderator

My location
firestyx/Dave,
It was the Resource which was converted into a motorship, this being done in 81-82.
The Ranger was a steamer (along with the Reliance/Resolution/Renown/Respect) till the end.

Jim
Old 22nd November 2007, 15:39

Yup, the Resource sailed straight from the builders into layup at Brunei Bay, she never carried a cargo as a steamer, eventually sailing from layup right back to the yard who built her to have the steam plant ripped out and a diesel installed (I thought it was 6 cylinder B & W).

I sailed on Resource shortly after she came out of layup and assumed everything would be practically brand new. Wrong, everything that moved had already been swapped out for spare part surgery on other R boats leaving layup, she was well knackered.
Old 28th January 2008, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjweetman View Post
I joined the Ranger in Eurport in the October of 1980. She had been used as a storage tank whilst work was carried out on storage within the refinery. I had packed to do the Gulf and froze in the winter conditions.

Paid off on 8th December just before she sailed. The only thing that moved whilst I was there was the steam cargo pumps. The Ch Eng was from Leeds and was married to a girl from Nagasaki by my recollections.
Yes, your right the chief eng ( fat man ) was married to the girl from Nagasaki who was on there when I was. I joined with Jane in Singapore DD where they fitted the first of many satcom sytems, then up to the PG and slow steaming 4 knots from there to Gothenburg, a trip of 164 days. Capt was Joe Beatie or Ned Larkin, the mate from scotland who had the misfortune to join in the PG, as he walked past the shack with his bags he was followed by the shore side safety official who told him the ford fire wire was to far out of the water and he was given a hefty fine --- a good start. 2nd mate Mike Paradowski and wife Karen, 3rd mate nick named budgie,3rd engineer John and wife Hazel or "H" as she was called, elect scotish, the grocer Ronnie Peel from newcastle cant recall any more at the moment
Old 20th February 2008, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjweetman View Post

I was on The Ranger at this time when she was a Storage tank.

I was a GP 1 at the time had a wow of atime in Oostvorn? local village/town and some great nights down at the mission. I paid off and joined the British Wilow in Mauritius to go on to drydock in Singers what a shame that was!

I think I paid off before yoyu joined as I was in Singers when John Lennon was shot that was 1980 December if i recall.

Left BP with voluntary redundancy in 1982.

I was on the Trident,Loyalty Patience, Maple,Ranger ,Willow (x4) Wye
Old 28th May 2008, 21:48

My location
Wink Nick Pugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestyx View Post
Hi all, I joined the Ranger (first trip) at Capetown in 79, and there were were 16 engineers on her including 5 cadets, (Hosain Jaffarian, if your still about get in touch), and as someone else mentioned, the Chiefs wife was Japanese, she taught me how to pronounce Mitsubishi correctly. She (the ship, not the chiefs wife!) then had the turbine set that she was built with. I seem to recall a particular 4th Engineer, Nick Pugh, who's mad antics still remain with me to this day! As the only ship in the fleet I ever sailed on twice, strangely, my new wife joined it as her first ship (as an officers wife) in Capetown in 82, by which time she had a Sulzer RND9 research Diesel engine fitted. Somewhere I have a load of pics from my years at sea, I'll scan them and post them up if their of any interest.
All for now
Nick Pugh was the year ahead of me at Poplar Tech in the BP cadetship, he was mad as a box of frogs then, but a great laugh. You in touch with him, or is he out there somewhere??

I was on the Ranger straight from my 'Third Phase' which would have been Nov/Dec 78 to March 79. My second ship ever and my first steamer, another acting J/E in the same situation, Billy Brown from Livingston, and an evil b'stard of a C/E.

Memories are made of this, I'd do it all again.

Last edited by BigNick : 28th May 2008 at 21:55. Reason: remembered another name
Old 28th May 2008, 21:53

My location
Thumbs up Joe Beattie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mACAROON View Post
Yes, your right the chief eng ( fat man ) was married to the girl from Nagasaki who was on there when I was. I joined with Jane in Singapore DD where they fitted the first of many satcom sytems, then up to the PG and slow steaming 4 knots from there to Gothenburg, a trip of 164 days. Capt was Joe Beatie or Ned Larkin, the mate from scotland who had the misfortune to join in the PG, as he walked past the shack with his bags he was followed by the shore side safety official who told him the ford fire wire was to far out of the water and he was given a hefty fine --- a good start. 2nd mate Mike Paradowski and wife Karen, 3rd mate nick named budgie,3rd engineer John and wife Hazel or "H" as she was called, elect scotish, the grocer Ronnie Peel from newcastle cant recall any more at the moment
Would that be 'Smokin Joe Beattie'? Might have been the Ranger or maybe another BP tanker that i sailed with him. I could check if i could find my Discharge Book cos i know his autograph is in there.

Old 11th June 2008, 22:49

bp

i was on the avon in about 1976
Old 28th February 2009, 10:44

British ranger 89/90

Hi I read a posting that said the Ranger Had a Sulzer fitted. I was 4th eng. onboard in 1989/90 and she still had turbines on then. Ther was another R ship that had a sulzer fitted but I'm not sure which one.
Old 28th February 2009, 15:08
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Zingo and a warm welcome to SN on your first posting. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.
Old 28th February 2009, 19:31
Active: 1955 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
Nick Pugh was the year ahead of me at Poplar Tech in the BP cadetship, he was mad as a box of frogs then, but a great laugh. You in touch with him, or is he out there somewhere??

I was on the Ranger straight from my 'Third Phase' which would have been Nov/Dec 78 to March 79. My second ship ever and my first steamer, another acting J/E in the same situation, Billy Brown from Livingston, and an evil b'stard of a C/E.

Nick ,
I was in contact with Nick Pugh in 2003, maybe his email is still ok
Graham
Old 2nd March 2009, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingo View Post
Hi I read a posting that said the Ranger Had a Sulzer fitted. I was 4th eng. onboard in 1989/90 and she still had turbines on then. Ther was another R ship that had a sulzer fitted but I'm not sure which one.

Correct, she was a steamer right to the end. The British Resource on the other hand was re-engined with a Mitsubishi Slow speed while still retaining all of the rest of the steam plant leaving a vessel only true heroes could work on
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:31

My location
Cool British Ranger

Hi Nick.
If you click onto SSSTEAMSHIPS,then on to
ships names starting with"Bs" you will find
a few photo's of the Ranger.I sailed with B.P
in the 50s,british Pioneer,Resource,Envoy,Hero
and the Duke.

Dave Williams(R583900)
Old 2nd March 2009, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post

Can't help thinking that's a little uncalled for, My father made chief and I would not like it if it was about him, privately you can say what you like but this is a public board.
Of course he may of had an opinion of you, and would you like the rest of the world to hear it ?
Just be a bit more respectful.

I did post some pics of Ranger under construction, naming ceremony and sea trials should be in tankers.
Old 3rd March 2009, 00:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Sutton View Post
Can't help thinking that's a little uncalled for, My father made chief and I would not like it if it was about him, privately you can say what you like but this is a public board.
Of course he may of had an opinion of you, and would you like the rest of the world to hear it ?
Just be a bit more respectful.

I did post some pics of Ranger under construction, naming ceremony and sea trials should be in tankers.
Oh I don't know some of those Chiefs/2nds really were evil bassas - I personally have spent nearly 20 years trying to track a particular one down. To be honest if you have done the job you tend to have a lot thicker skin than to get upset by peoples opinions of you.

British Ranger was a smashing ship - her and the Reliance were the best of them , even a up till they were scrapped they were pretty good running ships
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:07

Really should also point out that i did sail with some ace folk as well
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Mechanic View Post
Oh I don't know some of those Chiefs/2nds really were evil bassas - I personally have spent nearly 20 years trying to track a particular one down. To be honest if you have done the job you tend to have a lot thicker skin than to get upset by peoples opinions of you.

British Ranger was a smashing ship - her and the Reliance were the best of them , even a up till they were scrapped they were pretty good running ships
Just pointing out that there are quite a few coming to sites such as this that are looking for info on family members who went to sea and do not have a "thick skin".
On a personal note, we as family know that my father could be awkward, he had no time for laziness or job dodgers but would be more than happy to teach if the person was receptive (cant think of a better word) or showed an interest.
The only people it seems that thought he was too tough on them, were those that larked about.
Old 11th June 2009, 00:15

As Satanic Mechanic has said the famous Resource or 'Racehorse' given her distinct lack of speed and nasty habit of stopping was quite someinging else.
I only was on her once for 3 months having joined here in Dubai Drydocks so she was totaly in bits just to make maters more intresting.
She had to be the hottest vessel I ever was on and has so many 'odd' features in the engine room such as having to crawl on hands on knees through 3 ligtening holes under the backfitted purifier room to pump the bilges, pumps hidden away and more extra bits shoved in corners.
Some of the extras I remember where 1 full load diesel generator, a third boiler, waste heat unit, all sorts of extra lub oil storage tanks and of course the engine which was built up on a tall bedplate and installed at an angle to match the orgional stern tube angle... if i recal correctly it was a 6cyl BandW 90GFCA, but can not be 100% but output was 21330Bhp when her steam sisters where a nominal 30000bhp.

About as far from her sister vessels as you could possibly get..

If anyone has any photos of here engine room I would love to get hold of some copies.

rob