Ships Nostalgia banner

rose and pearl

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  China hand 
#1 ·
hi all do any of you old blue starers ever come across two gay stewards called rose and pearl i sailed with them on the rhodesia star in 1964 they were a great laugh realy nice peaple i think they sailed on the south american run a lot i often wonder what become of them and no im not gay ken powell

#5 ·
I remember joining the Ulster Star in London in January 1968 as a first trip deck cadet. I was quite nervous going into dinner on the first evening but the two stewards were very friendly and put me at my ease.
Later that evening I went into the pantry to make myself a cup of tea before turning in, when I came across two ladies in black mini skirts, fishnet stockings and see through tops. Of course, I made myself out to be a senior hand as I flirted with them. However, I was put firmly in my place when one of them said, "You do not recognise us do you Mr Newton. We're the stewards who served you at dinner".
I've fond memories of those two "ladies" and I've never made the same mistake again in 40 years at sea.

Bye-the-bye, does anybody remember "Keyhole Kate" in Blue Star?

#6 ·
I joined the Rhodesia Star as a first trip cadet in April 1964.I passed Rose in the alleyway one evening, she was all dressed up in a mini skirt and looked quite the part. I was more than a bit shocked as coming from a very sheltered background I didn't know what the word 'queer' meant.
Pearl and Rose were real characters and I believe they ended up running a nightclub in Amsterdam.

#7 ·
On the Brasil Star in the mid 60's there were many williams of the wooftah calling, but two of the old timers who lived as a happy family stick in my mind. They had managed a cabin for the two of them, and if I ever went in for any reason, Dad was sitting reading the paper with his feet up, and Mum was ironing or something. They were a very professional pair of stewards, and good shipmates. I believe they had been in the ship since new (1948?). An eye opener for a 3rd Mate brought up with Lascar crews.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.