Clan Ross 1956 - Ships Nostalgia
08:26

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Clan Ross 1956

Old 29th December 2006, 11:50
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Arrow Clan Ross 1956

Ahoy,
Clan Ross (3) 1956
Company:Clan Line Ltd-Glasgow
Built at Greenock Dock Yard
BRT:7800
In 1960 transferred to Houston Line,
In 1961 transferred to Safmarine and renamed South African Scientist,
In 1962 transferred to Union-Castle Line and renamed Kinnaird Castle.
Courtesy/© Gebr.Spanjersberg N.V.-Rotterdam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clan Ross1956 (Medium).jpg (36.2 KB, 121 views)
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 29th December 2006, 12:03
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
One from down memory lane Ruud and a very fine looking vessel
Old 2nd January 2007, 11:21
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruud View Post
Ahoy,
Clan Ross (3) 1956

I believe she ended up in the infamous queue of cement ships off Lagos sometime in the late 1970's, when someone ordered enough cement to cover Nigeria to a depth of about 3 feet, so the story goes !

Cheers

Andy
Old 2nd January 2007, 23:04

I rember joining the clan ross in the 70s when they replaced the zulu crew with a british crew i think it had something to do with having to pay them the equivelent wage as a british seaman was getting at that time.i think we flew out to durban to join her.all the best murph
Old 10th January 2007, 12:33
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph View Post
I rember joining the clan ross in the 70s when they replaced the zulu crew with a british crew i think it had something to do with having to pay them the equivelent wage as a british seaman was getting at that time.i think we flew out to durban to join her.all the best murph
Sorry Murph, that would be the later Clan Ross, one of a class of 4 reefers; I sailed on the other three (Ramsay, Ranald & Robertson) but missed out on the full set !

Cheers

Andy
Old 24th January 2007, 11:39
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Pilotage
Active: 1970 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysk View Post
Sorry Murph, that would be the later Clan Ross, one of a class of 4 reefers; I sailed on the other three (Ramsay, Ranald & Robertson) but missed out on the full set !

Cheers

Andy
I managed the full set Andy, the Ross was my second ship and the Robertson was the one where the crew change was provoked. She was in Gothenburg and the ITF pulled all the crew off demanding parity of wages with European crews. The ship fled Sweden with the officers chopping the ropes with axes. She was then blacked and the only port that would discharge her was the expedite berth in Antwerp. I was at home waiting for a fourth mates job on a mailship but they called me up to the office and sent me out to Antwerp with all the new wage scales for the zulus and sheafs of other paperwork for the Captain (Neville Wray-Cook I think). You'd think I was James Bond by the briefing I had for avoiding the baying press mob. The crew had been flown to London and put up in a top hotel and rejoined in Antwerp the next day. A couple of months later they started to be changed out. I wouldn't like to comment on the politics of it all, but I felt sorry for the Zulus, they were great guys. The cape coloured stewards weren't so easily liked though. I never got to the mailboat, I stayed there as uncert 3rd mate until I went up for my ticket.

After my ticket I went back to the office where Keith Parker said "ah Wood I see you haven't been on a bulker yet" to which I replied I still hadn't been on a mailboat either. We compromised on me going back to the Ramsay, but he didn't tell me he was coming as the skipper!!! I then went to the Ranald in 75 as 2nd mate. Fine ships, good parties once all the bars had been converted from the original serving hatches!!
Old 16th October 2009, 04:41

Clan Ranald

Seeing mention of the Clan Ranald. I recollect a term mate of mine from "Worcester" Went to the old Clan Ranald, built in 1917 or perhaps even earlier. I served in the Clans, Allan, Cumming and Mactavish in 47 to 51
Perhaps we know the same people?
Tony Steward
Old 16th October 2009, 09:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruud View Post
Ahoy,
Clan Ross (3) 1956
Company:Clan Line Ltd-Glasgow
Built at Greenock Dock Yard
BRT:7800
In 1960 transferred to Houston Line,
In 1961 transferred to Safmarine and renamed South African Scientist,
CLAN ROSS (3) (1956 - 1961)
O.N. 185040. 7,698g. 4,263n. 465' 0" x 65' 6" x 39' 1".
Three, steam turbines made by Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Company, Wallsend, installed by J. G. Kincaid & Company Ltd., Greenock, driving screw shaft. 9,400 SHP. 17kts.

17.1.1956: Launched by the Greenock Dockyard Company Ltd., Greenock (Yard No. 487) for The Clan Line Steamers Ltd., (Cayzer, Irvine & Company Ltd., managers).

4.1956: Completed.

1961: Transferred to the South African Marine Corporation, S. Africa, and renamed SOUTH AFRICAN SCIENTIST.

1962: Transferred to The Clan Line Steamers Ltd., (Cayzer, Irvine & Company Ltd., managers), and renamed KINNAIRD CASTLE, and back-chartered to South African Marine Corporation for 6 months.

1966: Transferred to King Line Ltd.

1975: Sold to Dasonab Cia. Naviera S. A., Panama and renamed NAZEER.

26.4.1978: Arrived at Gadani Beach for demolition.
Old 26th October 2009, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Wood View Post
I managed the full set Andy, the Ross was my second ship and the Robertson was the one where the crew change was provoked. She was in Gothenburg and the ITF pulled all the crew off demanding parity of wages with European crews. The ship fled Sweden with the officers chopping the ropes with axes. She was then blacked and the only port that would discharge her was the expedite berth in Antwerp. I was at home waiting for a fourth mates job on a mailship but they called me up to the office and sent me out to Antwerp with all the new wage scales for the zulus and sheafs of other paperwork for the Captain (Neville Wray-Cook I think). You'd think I was James Bond by the briefing I had for avoiding the baying press mob. The crew had been flown to London and put up in a top hotel and rejoined in Antwerp the next day. A couple of months later they started to be changed out. I wouldn't like to comment on the politics of it all, but I felt sorry for the Zulus, they were great guys. The cape coloured stewards weren't so easily liked though. I never got to the mailboat, I stayed there as uncert 3rd mate until I went up for my ticket.

After my ticket I went back to the office where Keith Parker said "ah Wood I see you haven't been on a bulker yet" to which I replied I still hadn't been on a mailboat either. We compromised on me going back to the Ramsay, but he didn't tell me he was coming as the skipper!!! I then went to the Ranald in 75 as 2nd mate. Fine ships, good parties once all the bars had been converted from the original serving hatches!!
I was 2nd Mate on the Robertson at that time so we must have passed in the night. Can't remember where I left her. Might have been Antwerp.

Totally agree with your comments about the Zulus. Great crew and the ITF led them well up the garden path. Quite a hairy departure from Gothenburg as I remember. Don't think we had tugs either.

Happy days.
Old 17th October 2011, 22:51
Department: Office / Administration

Clan Ross

Hi folks - I'm posting this because we're selling some ships memorabilia that was collected by our late dad, John Cummins, in order to pay for our mum's care. We have a scale model of the Clan Ross please see that attached photo. Any offers?
Old 18th October 2011, 08:03
Active: 1958 - 1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Steward View Post
Seeing mention of the Clan Ranald. I recollect a term mate of mine from "Worcester" Went to the old Clan Ranald, built in 1917 or perhaps even earlier. I served in the Clans, Allan, Cumming and Mactavish in 47 to 51
Perhaps we know the same people?
Tony Steward
Good grief, Tony. You've come up for air! Haven't touched base for a long while.
Old 18th October 2011, 09:16
Active: 1962 - 1980

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahala View Post
Hi folks - I'm posting this because we're selling some ships memorabilia that was collected by our late dad, John Cummins, in order to pay for our mum's care. We have a scale model of the Clan Ross please see that attached photo. Any offers?
Where is the attached picture