RFA Regent - Ships Nostalgia
07:45

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

RFA Regent

Old 24th January 2007, 14:56

RFA Regent

Hi all,

Does anyone have any pic's or info on the Regent, The last I seen of her she was in the middle of the forth outside Crombie for a long while, I assume she's scrap now.

My Father served on her for 5 or 6 years during the 60's and just trying to add some more pics/info to his collection.

Thanks,

Last edited by stouch : 24th January 2007 at 15:08. Reason: punctuation
Old 24th January 2007, 15:28
King Ratt

My location
Hello Stouch. Have a shufti at this site for pix of RFA Regent.
http://www.rfaaplymouth.org/GGMrs.htm
I may have some of my own and will send if I can lay my hands on 'em.
Old 20th April 2008, 23:59

The "Regent" and "Resource" were nicknamed "Regret" and "Remorse". The Regent was launched in 1968 after being built in Belfast by Harland & Wolf.
The two ships were the first RFAs to have their own helicopters, manned by the RN. Apart RN and RFA personnel the ships carried civilians from RNAD who actually worked the cargo, which in those days included Sea Cat and Sea Slug missiles,4.5" shells as well as dry stores.
Old 21st April 2008, 10:07

Thanks for the plug Rab.

Ordered: 24 January 1963
Laid down: 04 September 1964
Launched: 09 March 1966
Commissioned: 16 May 1967
Decommissioned: October 1992
Fate: Sailed Devonport on 21 January 1993 renamed SHAHZADELAL for delivery run to Indian breakers and arrived Alang for demolition on 19 February 1993

There are also several pics in the RFA Gallery on this site. Try a search.

Last edited by Lancastrian : 21st April 2008 at 12:00.
Old 19th August 2008, 17:00

Talking

hi all,
i was on "regent" from sept 91 till feb 92, we had a great trip to the east coast of U.S.A. which was proberbly her last atlantic crossing. I have some good memories from that old ship.

Last edited by ron moralee : 19th August 2008 at 17:02.
Old 1st January 2009, 13:31

served on both regent and resourse in the 60's and 70's as ab and qm.had hundreds of photo's but had house fire in the 80's which distroyed all of the photo's and negatives.
Old 1st January 2009, 14:52

The REGENT was my first RFA back in February 1990. Had a great trip and rejoined it after my leave. I find the older the ship the happier they are. And the REGENT was very happy on the two occasions Feb 90 to Aug 90 and Nov 90 to Apr 91. Captain was Paddy Roache a good man and pure seafarer!

Mick S
Old 7th January 2009, 02:07

I saw a documentary on TV a few years back about the ship giong to the Indian breakers. The captain ordered full speed ahead on to the beach. After she was beached the crew climbed down on to the sand. The breakers started their work immediately. The captain said he was not sad about it, and it was the best fun he'd ever had.
Old 10th July 2009, 13:07

Hello
I referred to this thread while researching REGENT and her sistership RESOURCE, and you might be interested to learn that on the Internet there are varying dates for completion for these two vessels. There does also appear to be a lot of confusion on some websites as to completion date and commissioning date. It looks like Wikipedia might be the culprit for the widely quoted wrong date, which shows commissioning (? completion) date for REGENT as 16 May 1967, whereas only one online source that I can find appears to have the correct date, which was 6 June 1967. I have copy of a Harland & Wolff document that also confirms this.
Widely quoted also on the 'net is the completion date for RESOURCE as 6 June 1967, whereas Miramar shows this as 16 May 1967 -- delivery date from Scotts', Greenock.
It is clearly a transposition of dates on the part of the compiler.
I have a copy of Lloyd's Shipping Index for 8 June 1967, which shows both vessels with latest reports as in the course of trials and pre-delivery, so that is not helpful (Lloyd's publications never very good on up-to-date information on RFA vessels).
Would be grateful for any further information.
Regards
Roger Jordan
Old 11th July 2009, 09:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Jordan View Post
Hello
I referred to this thread while researching REGENT and her sistership RESOURCE, and you might be interested to learn that on the Internet there are varying dates for completion for these two vessels. There does also appear to be a lot of confusion on some websites as to completion date and commissioning date. It looks like Wikipedia might be the culprit for the widely quoted wrong date, which shows commissioning (? completion) date for REGENT as 16 May 1967, whereas only one online source that I can find appears to have the correct date, which was 6 June 1967. I have copy of a Harland & Wolff document that also confirms this.
Widely quoted also on the 'net is the completion date for RESOURCE as 6 June 1967, whereas Miramar shows this as 16 May 1967 -- delivery date from Scotts', Greenock.
It is clearly a transposition of dates on the part of the compiler.
I have a copy of Lloyd's Shipping Index for 8 June 1967, which shows both vessels with latest reports as in the course of trials and pre-delivery, so that is not helpful (Lloyd's publications never very good on up-to-date information on RFA vessels).
Would be grateful for any further information.
Regards
Roger Jordan
Roger -In 1966 I was appointed to Resource for the sea trials, then coursed for aviation and security, NBCD etc and appointed to Regent. Never joined Regent until years later as Resource was lead ship and the captain (Jo Dines) wanted a qualified officer in post to start things moving. So I was present when the ship completed at Scotts and sailed summer 1967. I do not remember any sort of final date, formal handover or commissioning as they have today - more a sort of rolling event (Lancastrian might say staggering !) I suppose there must be a final date somewhere where the ships were signed for an paid for - in Janes it gives 16 May 1967 for Resource and 6th June for Regent. Century of Service on the other hand reverses these dates to 16th May and 5th June, and this may be the source in the web. The RFA Museum at Bellingham holds the Ship's Captain's Book for Resource, containing all the original certificates and documents - I will ask the Curator (Pat Thompson) to check or let me check any date evidence next time I am there.
Regards Hillshepherd
Old 11th July 2009, 20:44

Lenton`s Warships of the British and Commonwealth Navies 1969 edition gives 6/6 for Regent and 5/6 for Resource as the completion dates - this would have been based on contemporary Shipbuilding and Shipping Record material. It will be interesting to see what the Ship`s Book says.
Old 12th July 2009, 03:16

I would change my Commissioned to Completed but the editing button seems to have disappeared.

Last edited by Lancastrian : 12th July 2009 at 03:17. Reason: testing the edit button
Old 12th July 2009, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
The "Regent" and "Resource" were nicknamed "Regret" and "Remorse". The Regent was launched in 1968 after being built in Belfast by Harland & Wolf.
The two ships were the first RFAs to have their own helicopters, manned by the RN. Apart RN and RFA personnel the ships carried civilians from RNAD who actually worked the cargo, which in those days included Sea Cat and Sea Slug missiles,4.5" shells as well as dry stores.
We had Resource in Birkenhead for two refits during the seventies, and recall that I was told that as well as conventional ordnance, she carried nuclear missiles and depth charges.
Anyone know if this is correct?
Pat
Old 13th July 2009, 00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
We had Resource in Birkenhead for two refits during the seventies, and recall that I was told that as well as conventional ordnance, she carried nuclear missiles and depth charges.
Pat
It was the policy of Her Majesty's Government neither to confirm nor deny the presence of nuclear weapons in any of her ships. So don't expect an answer.

Last edited by Lancastrian : 13th July 2009 at 00:03. Reason: grammar
Old 15th July 2009, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Pat
Pat, you may wish to click on the following MoD website for a very interesting report:
http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/4625B...ar_weapons.pdf
Old 24th October 2009, 11:12

hello mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Spear View Post
The REGENT was my first RFA back in February 1990. Had a great trip and rejoined it after my leave. I find the older the ship the happier they are. And the REGENT was very happy on the two occasions Feb 90 to Aug 90 and Nov 90 to Apr 91. Captain was Paddy Roache a good man and pure seafarer!

Mick S
how are you doing my old mate regent was a very special ship with a very special crew and as it was my first ship it is the one i think about the most when i joined in naples as a 17 year old kid you always looked after me and ive never ever forgot it. great times great carachters mad deano adam valentine , lee hadden, dutchy,tony mcguiness, tony caroll,davey dick and the edge i wish i could turn back time michael
Old 24th October 2009, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky stevenson View Post
how are you doing my old mate regent was a very special ship with a very special crew and as it was my first ship it is the one i think about the most when i joined in naples as a 17 year old kid you always looked after me and ive never ever forgot it. great times great carachters mad deano adam valentine , lee hadden, dutchy,tony mcguiness, tony caroll,davey dick and the edge i wish i could turn back time michael
Alright Mickey. Good to see you've found the site. I always ask Franny how you are. The Cardiff lads (Scunthorpe game 93) still ask after you too. Some of the names above are still with the RFA. Heard you do the pugilist journo thing for the Liverpool echo?
I'll send you a PM.
Mick S
Old 24th October 2009, 18:43
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 1991

Here is a shot of Resource.http://www.john.fotoblog.org.uk/p14552235.html

John
Old 30th October 2009, 08:37

hi remember me?? Guggi
Old 30th October 2009, 08:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron moralee View Post
hi all,
i was on "regent" from sept 91 till feb 92, we had a great trip to the east coast of U.S.A. which was proberbly her last atlantic crossing. I have some good memories from that old ship.
remember guggi?
Old 29th November 2009, 22:37

Hi all

Found some photo's my late dad took on the Regent I'm guessing he was there in 1968 as the album that has a few photo's in has the Xmas menu in it!!

If anyone knew him would be ace to know more about him from those days. His name was Barry Roberts and was born down in Portsmouth area. The photo's I have are of him from 67-69. There's not many but a few group photo's....

thanks
Old 30th November 2009, 09:04

Hello Claire, I would be happy to post some of your photos on this site -
http://www.rfaaplymouth.org/copperminepeople/index.php
Old 3rd January 2010, 20:38

rfa regent

hi
i was on regent from 1980-1983 through the falklands she was a wonderful ship served with pride like so many others
Old 1st May 2010, 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron moralee View Post
hi al
Hi Ron.
I was on Regent from May91 till Dec 92 I was an officer in the stonnery. I assisted in De Storing her. I stood on the dock in Devonport and watched her steam away to India. Regent went back across the Atlantic from Sept to end of Oct. That tour was better than the one you was on
Old 19th May 2010, 15:59

regent

Hi guys this is my first post , i came across this forum after trying to find info on RFA REGENT i have a flag that was brought back from the falklands by a sailor from this ship, with the flag came a lot of paperwork etc of this man who was called Philip kirby , the flag has 848 on it and an added piece of cloth with a skull and crossbones and a few names, does anybody know if this flag was from the ship? ,rgds Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fl2.jpg (87.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg fl1.jpg (99.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg fl3.jpg (106.2 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by scrooge : 19th May 2010 at 17:42.