Introducing myself

susansushnyk
19th February 2015, 00:30
Just a quick hi there to you.....it'll take me a bit to get used to posting and forums and such. I'm a retired woman living in the Vancouver area in B.C., Canada and have lived around the oceans my whole life - travelled quite a lot on ships since I was a child. Aside from ferry trips from Vancouver Island to the mainland, my first "voyage" was in 1953 to Fiji; (our final destination was New Zealand) where I enjoyed my 7th birthday onboard being entertained by ships crew on the SS Lakemba (in Hawaii they spelled it Lakemha (?) ). I've read a few threads - very interesting commentary here and there (POP) Hope everyone has an amazing day (Thumb)

Kaiser Bill
19th February 2015, 00:38
Welcome aboard from the deep south.

billyboy
19th February 2015, 01:34
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

TOM ALEXANDER
19th February 2015, 08:50
Welcome to the site from across the Salish Sea as they seem to want to call the Georgia Strait nowadays. :)

Pompeyfan
19th February 2015, 09:42
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Susan.

Interesting that you mention ferry trips from Vancouver Island, because in November 1973, my ship Arcadia(1954 build)was drydocked at at Esquimalt. As far as I am aware, we were the first passenger ship in P&O and first since Queen Elizabeth during World War 2 to be refitted there. Most of the crew, myself included flew home on leave taking the ferry to the mainland, then coach to Vancouver airport. The ferry trip was great, a far better vessel and price compared to when I arrived home crossing on the Isle of Wight ferry.

PatriciaAnnT
19th February 2015, 15:31
Hi Susan and welcome from Port Townsend, WA.

R58484956
19th February 2015, 16:33
Greetings Susan and welcome to SN. Bon voyage

Hamish Mackintosh
19th February 2015, 17:19
Welcome Aboard from the hot part of BC

ben27
19th February 2015, 23:38
good day susansushnyk.yesterday.09:30.#1.re:introdusing myself,wellcome aboard from down under.regards ben27

Mickdunn
20th February 2015, 09:56
Welcome sue from Sydney Aus if Patty Ann's dog doesn't like you it means we proberly will! Her dog is very pickie.

Geoff Gower
20th February 2015, 10:36
Just a quick hi there to you.....it'll take me a bit to get used to posting and forums and such. I'm a retired woman living in the Vancouver area in B.C., Canada and have lived around the oceans my whole life - travelled quite a lot on ships since I was a child. Aside from ferry trips from Vancouver Island to the mainland, my first "voyage" was in 1953 to Fiji; (our final destination was New Zealand) where I enjoyed my 7th birthday onboard being entertained by ships crew on the SS Lakemba (in Hawaii they spelled it Lakemha (?) ). I've read a few threads - very interesting commentary here and there (POP) Hope everyone has an amazing day (Thumb)

should really search the photographs on here as there are loads of them- some with people in them. Good Luck and welcome

TOM ALEXANDER
21st February 2015, 09:06

Don't tell me ou're from Osoyoos, Hamish??? (==D)

susansushnyk
1st March 2015, 22:34
(Thumb)Welcome aboard from the deep south.

susansushnyk
1st March 2015, 22:36
(Thumb)

Charlie Hannah
3rd March 2015, 02:59
Susan,Could.This be the one you were on.See link below.?

http://www.shf.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/LAKEMBA-1946-wrecked-1967.-hand-tinted.-SHF-Coll.-150x150.jpg

susansushnyk
4th June 2017, 00:29
Yes - the SS Lakemba - I remember my little brother climbing up on the lumber stacks on deck during our voyage - drove the crew crazy trying to rescue him Lol I still remember some of the crew now - they were amazing; especially to us kids. So sad when I heard about it breaking up and going down back in the 60's.

susansushnyk
4th June 2017, 00:32
Thank you - I will look around.

susansushnyk
4th June 2017, 00:34
The "hot" part? In the interior somewhere? Lol

susansushnyk
4th June 2017, 00:36
Welcome sue from Sydney Aus if Patty Ann's dog doesn't like you it means we proberly will! Her dog is very pickie.
My dog is picky too Lol

susansushnyk
4th June 2017, 00:43
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Susan.

Interesting that you mention ferry trips from Vancouver Island, because in November 1973, my ship Arcadia(1954 build)was drydocked at at Esquimalt. As far as I am aware, we were the first passenger ship in P&O and first since Queen Elizabeth during World War 2 to be refitted there. Most of the crew, myself included flew home on leave taking the ferry to the mainland, then coach to Vancouver airport. The ferry trip was great, a far better vessel and price compared to when I arrived home crossing on the Isle of Wight ferry.
Love the area around Esquimalt - I visited friends (the hubby was in the Navy - deploying out of Esquimalt) there a few times. Heck - love all of Vancouver Island, but haven't lived there since the family left for our big sea voyage way back in the 50's. My parents ended up building a home on Mayne Island (between Vancouver Island the the mainland) in the late 70's, so the ferry trips definitely kept going at a good pace. Cheers!

RHP
4th June 2017, 04:10
Hi Susan,

Do a search in the gallery of Lakemba and you'll find there's been a lot of discussion and photos pictured by another lady, CharityM. For example:
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/624194/title/ss-lakemba/cat/510